J11 nearside rear lights and number plate light failure

ICE, Equipment, Options
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Hi all,

Our recently purchased 16k mile 2015 1.6dci Tekna's passenger LED rear lights (both on the car and tailgate) and number plate lights have all failed at the same time. Passenger brake light and indicator works fine, drivers side is fully functional.

I removed the rear light and swapped with the drivers side which confirmed the lamp unit is fully functional and I've checked the numberplate bulbs and neither looks to be blown so I assume the issue must be related to one of the control modules. Is there anything I can check further before I take a trip to the Dealers? I've read other posts on here of light modules being replaced by Nissan but it's not clear whether its the IPDM or BCM which was at fault. Any ideas? Thanks!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Its going to be difficult to tell at distance....ref BCM/IPDM. IPDM doesn't have individual fuses for each of the lights failed. Its FETs (Smart Ones?)...semiconductor devices. But whatever it is at fault it surely is common and Grounds are likely not it either. They are separated to some extent. Again difficult to say as documents I have are not current.

Screen28.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
flat6

Post by flat6 »

calnorth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am Its going to be difficult to tell at distance....ref BCM/IPDM. IPDM doesn't have individual fuses for each of the lights failed. Its FETs (Smart Ones?)...semiconductor devices. But whatever it is at fault it surely is common and Grounds are likely not it either. They are separated to some extent. Again difficult to say as documents I have are not current.

Thanks. Looks like the SMART FET isn't so smart after all :roll:

The car has a towbar fitted by Nissan from new and I did a test on that this morning and it's outputting 12v when the lights are turned on, so I wondered if a feed could be taken from that back into the rear lights? (as the towbar wiring harness is in the n/s inside the boot close to the rear light). That's only half the problem though, as getting to the wiring into the tailgate for the inner tail light and numberplate lights is going to be very challenging.

Think I might have to take it to Nissan but it seems ridiculous that a few quid for a simple bulb change in the past is now ££££ for diagnosis and repair. My J10 never missed a beat in 5 years (hence never posting before!) so I rather foolishly assumed this car would be the same.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

flat6 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:17 am
calnorth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am Its going to be difficult to tell at distance....ref BCM/IPDM. IPDM doesn't have individual fuses for each of the lights failed. Its FETs (Smart Ones?)...semiconductor devices. But whatever it is at fault it surely is common and Grounds are likely not it either. They are separated to some extent. Again difficult to say as documents I have are not current.

Thanks. Looks like the SMART FET isn't so smart after all :roll:

The car has a towbar fitted by Nissan from new and I did a test on that this morning and it's outputting 12v when the lights are turned on, so I wondered if a feed could be taken from that back into the rear lights? (as the towbar wiring harness is in the n/s inside the boot close to the rear light). That's only half the problem though, as getting to the wiring into the tailgate for the inner tail light and numberplate lights is going to be very challenging.

Think I might have to take it to Nissan but it seems ridiculous that a few quid for a simple bulb change in the past is now ££££ for diagnosis and repair. My J10 never missed a beat in 5 years (hence never posting before!) so I rather foolishly assumed this car would be the same.

ah yes...vintage 2015
Does that car have LED or Bulb Tail/Number Plate lights? My diagrams show LEDs which means that separately supplying 12v to them could pop them..hence the SMART FET stuff.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
flat6

Post by flat6 »

calnorth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 am
ah yes...vintage 2015
Does that car have LED or Bulb Tail/Number Plate lights? My diagrams show LEDs which means that separately supplying 12v to them could pop them..hence the SMART FET stuff.

Yes it's got LED tail lights. I did a voltage check on the plug for drivers side rear light to determine which was the live wire (so I could check the voltage on the non-functioning side) and it showed 12v. I'm guessing there's probably something in the lamp circuitry which adjusts for the LED's, if they need that?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

flat6 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:24 pm
calnorth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 am
ah yes...vintage 2015

Yes it's got LED tail lights. I did a voltage check on the plug for drivers side rear light to determine which was the live wire (so I could check the voltage on the non-functioning side) and it showed 12v. I'm guessing there's probably something in the lamp circuitry which adjusts for the LED's, if they need that?
SMART = "Power Controller" - in old money. Trouble is all FETs are controlled by a CPU within IPDM. And that CPU in turn communicates via the CAN Bus as regards driver commands etc. Far too complicated IMO.

I expect they are soldered in , so if faulty could well be surgery. Or worse they'll want to change IPDM.

Perhaps its a simple wiring problem...... :o
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
NotebookDr
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by NotebookDr »

Hi everyone,
I have got exactly same problem passanger side tail light and the number light(I had replaced couple of months before the old bulbs to a led ali express modules) has stopped working .
Checked fuse box the one is located in the dashboard near the steering .them seems all fine
Is there any other fuse box?
BTW it's a Nissan Qashqai 2017 1.2 turbo automatic
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Have you tried putting normal bulbs back in to see if they work just incase the leds have come to end of life.
NotebookDr

Post by NotebookDr »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply yes, I have put the old bulbs back in ,still same 12v line missing .booked in with Nissan dealer next week ,let's see if they can find out what caused the issue