Start/stop went into meltdown

ICE, Equipment, Options
Flythedog

Post by Flythedog »

Hi. I have a 2016 n-tech. Yesterday I stopped at the lights and the start/stop kicked in. Immediately the lights changed so I put the clutch in and it didn’t start up, it had barely shut down when I put the clutch in. The clutch icon came on in the dashboard so I put the clutch in and pressed the start button. Instead of trying to start it made an unhealthy noise for about 5 seconds (guess). It did this a few times then maybe after a minute the dashboard display changed slightly, I think the rest of the info came up like miles and the clock. After that I put in the clutch, pressed start and it was happy to start, like it had gone into meltdown but after a minute (which felt like ages!) it reset itself. I think a while ago it did something similar, didn’t restart, didn’t respond to usual start operation then from memory clicked into action about a minute later. Could there be a fault or is there something I need to know about how quickly I ask it to start up again when it cuts out?
Denise

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

There is clearly a fault there somewhere. On the few occasions when my car actually did a "Stop" it always did a "Start" without a hesitation.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

No simple answer to that. There are a number of conditions that both enable the engine to be auto stopped and then auto restarted. If an error existed then the engine might attempt a start or simply fail. A state of confusion would exist...temporarily?

Error codes (DTC) could be stored and would be helpful for an accurate diagnosis. Anything else is guesswork.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Flythedog

Post by Flythedog »

Thanks, it’s getting serviced next month so I’ll ask them to look. Very stressful being on my own and effectively breaking down at the lights!
Denise
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Flythedog wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am Thanks, it’s getting serviced next month so I’ll ask them to look. Very stressful being on my own and effectively breaking down at the lights!
Its a nuisance but you could turn Start/Stop Off each time you use the car...till its fixed.

Use of AirCon should hold it off also.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
olafmol

Post by olafmol »

yeah just disable it until a mechanic looked at it