Intelligent Key - Nissan

ICE, Equipment, Options
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

This is what I do with my current Qashqai and the one I had before, in addition to using faraday pouches.

Also, I checked if it was still possible to disable the door buttons on the new Qashqai and only use the i-Key buttons when I had a test drive the other week - it would appear that is the case :? 🤷🏻‍♂️ (see picture I took below).

olafmol wrote: ↑Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:46 pm
you don't need to shut the fob off, you can disable the door "buttons" in the car settings, this way thieves cannot trigger the i-Key to give a signal from outside. The only caveat is that you need to use your i-Key buttons to unlock the car.

B8DEDF76-B6AD-4D70-B73E-57305CA62234.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)

olafmol
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by olafmol »

Tnx for the info @Sandgrounder! It's surprising that Nissan is not more vocal about this option, as there is a lot of buzz around car-theft using electronic keys. The solution is easy, if explained and communicated clearly.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Am I reading this correctly guys, as I have the button on the door handle disabled and have to physically press the buttons on the i-key to Lock / Unlock the doors, so by doing this is the car slightly more difficult to break into, as in said thieves can't remotely access the car by stealing the signal?
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
olafmol

Post by olafmol »

Weasel wrote: ↑Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:44 pm Am I reading this correctly guys, as I have the button on the door handle disabled and have to physically press the buttons on the i-key to Lock / Unlock the doors, so by doing this is the car slightly more difficult to break into, as in said thieves can't remotely access the car by stealing the signal?
Correct. The way thieves abuse electronic keys is to amplify the signal to and from the i-Key, so the distance between the i-Key and the car can be extended. To trigger the i-Key to give a response and valid code you have to "activate" it by triggering something. In the case of thieves it's pressing the "open buttons" on the door handles, which will request a valid response from the i-Key. If you disable these knobs, the only way to open the car is to have the i-Key physically at hand, and pressing it's buttons. And this solves the problem.

Another thing: thieves cannot "record" the signal, as it's a rotating/changing challenge/response signal, just like those changing QR codes, so it's useless to record a response, because it will only work for a very short period of time.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Thanks very much for the explanation, it's appreciated.
olafmol

Post by olafmol »

A translated version of the ADAC page, including the funny video (they use a stock wifi router as the amplification device LOL)

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

As regards rolling codes there was an effort about 3 years ago (US) to hack garage door systems that used rolling codes. Thats a combination of fob radio jamming and signal/code capture. Copying an unused valid entry code. It was tested on various cars at the time including Nissan. Allegedly successful.

However, the aim of the exercise was to show car manufacturers their specific weaknesses. None of them replied/acknowledged to representations made....So?

The common theme about this subject is the major cost, so don't expect much here. Hacking is very viable, particularly where the car type is "prestige". Owners at this level likely couldn't give a toss.

Opera Sna.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Olaf, interesting article, may I ask where you found this as I am a German ADAC member and cannot remember seeing this in their Mags. For convenience sake I still use the Themis Pouch (German), which I made contact with early on with this Key Problem. - Thanks Dave đź‘Ť
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Every key pouch I have ever bought have stopped working after a few months.

So still trying to find one that lasts, my current ones are the same and the key will start the car whilst still in the pouch.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Weasel, I am not connected with “Themis Security”, but I have had 2 types of these for around 4 years and never had a problem they are available from Amazon at a reasonable cost. It appears to be the Layering and Quality of the Protective Materials that are important - Dave 👍
If the QQ starts with the Key in the “Shielded” position this is obviously defect. Sharp Edges on the Keys can damage the Shielding Material.

Themis Security - Categories : https://www.themissecurity.eu/category/white
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken