Fitting stop start module on RHD Qashqai

ICE, Equipment, Options
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

glove box access panel.jpg

As Qashqai owners, we have the beloved stop start switch fitted to our cars. Now you either love it or hate it.
Yes you can carry out a single trip bypass of this switch but the next time you jump in, it will have switched itself back on.
There are numerous examples of faults, dead batteries, frustrations etc etc associated with this feature and some people would prefer to not use it.
So. thanks to our friend Duncho, you can install a clever little module that once connected will remember your last selection and keep it selected ready for the next time. The switch operation remains as normal, that is, you can switch it on or off as you would normally do, but the great thing is it will remain electronically in the same state as it was used last time.

Most of the videos online show how to fit this module to Left hand drive Qashqai's but very little on our Right hand drive cars.
There is quite a difference in the installation process on our UK Qashqai's which I am about to explain.

The fitting was a bit more difficult than the Lhd version videos I have watched.
firstly, both the plastic dashboard end covers on our Rhd models are blank.
The fuse box is located behind the glove box compartment instead where the owners manual is kept. There is a blanking cover in the back which you can unclip for quick access to the fuses although it's more spacious to remove the whole glove box by unclipping it completely.

fuse box.jpg

piggyback fuse orientation.jpg

cable routing .jpg

Drivers side panel.jpg

passenger side panel removed.jpg

SS switch position.jpg

soldering.jpg

CAUTION ....there is a damper piston connected to the right hand side of the glove box that needs disconnecting
Watch this video of how to remove the glove box.
Thankyou to Rossperry productions for this clip.

As you now know on RHD cars the fusebox is on the passenger side, while the S/S switch is on the drivers side.
This is different to LHD models where the fusebox and S/S switch are both very close together behind the end panels on the left.

On RHD versions the module power supply wire needs to be routed across and behind the dashboard to reach the fusebox on one side and the module position on the other side by the S/S switch location. There is room for this on the bottom area at the very front of the transmission tunnel where I was able to push the cable straight through and it remained hidden.

I sleeved the wire across the entire length and soldered the module leads using a battery operated soldering iron from Aldi.
I used the piggy back fuse supplied, plugged in so that it was orientated in such a way as to provide the supply through
the fused side of the piggyback holder.
This piggyback fuse holder can be fitted both ways around so in effect you could inadvertently supply a non fused source to the module without realisng it until something went wrong. Using a meter will verify the correct orientation of the fuse holder.
This fuse in position ( meter Ig ) on the fusebox is used as it is controlled by the ignition button, ie when the ignition is on the fuse is live and when the ignition is off the power is off.
I think this is an important step and i noticed a video by La palmeraie who identified the same concern during his instalation.

The side panels can be removed for visibility by inserting a plastic leverage tool into the visible slot and work your way around. The stop start switch panel is removed by releasing the 2 bolts holding the bonnet release bracket and then using the leverage tool to gain access behind the switch panel. You will see engagement clips on the side as you go along.
There was no need to completely remove the switch panel as I was able to unclip the S/S switch connector by pushing a locking lug on the bottom of the connector and the plug popped out.

Connections.
The module comes with diagrams for the connections. Use the ones appropriate to your version.
You can use scotchlock terminals that you squeeze together to make contact with the wires or in my case I used a battery operated soldering iron that I had from Aldi which was small and usable.
Duncho recommends soldering for a more secure connection but this is not always possible for people.
There are only a couple of connections to make.

Testing
Once you have connected everything back, start your engine and press the S/S switch, selecting either on or off.
Turn off your engine.
Turn engine back on and reselect the switch again noticing it had stayed the same.
Example, If you had selected s/s "off" first time around the display will indicate on the second time if you want to turn it "on" therefore proving it was still off......if you get what i mean.

Thanks to all contributors and hopefully this RHD version will be of assistance to you.

For information on the module contact modules4u@gmail.com

For videos for left hand drive search our friend La palmeraie

I have added some pictures.

Job done.

mrugby

lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Great job mate and nice to see how the RHD is setup.
Cheers
Niek
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
duncho

Post by duncho »

Glad to see happy people around :)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

In case it helps anyone else.... my RHD Qashqai had this handy little fusebox behind the panel to the right of the dash.

The top row of fuses are, left to right:
CVT_IG
AUDIO_IG
METER_IG

The device worked connected to METER_IG, but as AUDIO_IG was vacant I decided to use that, and it seems to be fine.

IMG-1606.jpg

2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160