AC Leak and Dealer Question

ICE, Equipment, Options
Scruffy_77
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Scruffy_77 »

Reason I have not taken back to Kwickfit is that It worked fine after they did their thing, I assume as it was empty at a year old, filled up and then empty again within 5 months there must be a leak… the gas has had to have gone somewhere.

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Scruffy_77 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am Thanks mate really helpful.

It’s taken a bit of a turn as Kwickfit confirmed they put 500g of Freon in the car in January so I put that to the dealer and quoted the above about a suspected leak and it being illegal to fill up. It’s now booked back in for a nitrogen test.

Thank you all for your replies, I don’t really understand all this but it has helped me move this forward. Appreciated
It shouldn't be a Freon which is an old trade name for various refrigerant gasses that are pretty much banned. Its R1234YF gas for vehicles 2017 and on of which is Honeywell/Dupont. They have the sole licence...hence the much magnified price.

https://www.honeywell-refrigerants.com/ ... download=1
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Scruffy_77

Post by Scruffy_77 »

Thank you mate, I have learnt a fair bit from joining here. Really appreciated
RiveriaMan

Post by RiveriaMan »

This thread and others on AC seem to be topic of the moment. I guess like me because with the recent weather we are all using the very cold setting for the first time in a long while, given normally with UK weather it is the other way round. Anyway noticed mine not as cold as I vaguely remembered from last year and when back then needed. So given car is sept 2017 reg & well outside warranty now, and given dealer pricing even with any good will gesture ( very unlikely) from the local dealer meaning still likely to be very high, I also called a local mobile vehicle AC company, over phone said purely a regas would be £89 given our newer more expensive gas, but this depended on what he saw on physical examination, so provisional look today by him indicates it will need more than this & a complete new condenser so was given price of £300 supplied & fitted including the regas. Difficult to show with the wet weather today with light and shadows, but you can just make out some discolouration marks centre panel but the main area is bottom right corner (when facing car), so does look like a new condenser is required, replacement being fitted Friday as weather today didn’t suit work involved.

B43483DB-773F-401E-AAC4-3ABEF192854D.jpeg

Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

The RiveriaMan appears to have hit the problem on the head for the UK when it gets really Hot turn the Air Con ON and then it blows out warm. I have our Air Con ON all Year normally @ 22*C and presently a cool 17*C and I must admit it’s perfect.
There are so many posts on the Forum and after forking out good money for Inspections / Top Ups / the R1234yf is very expensive etc the end result normally was or is the Condenser. The problem being if you do not complain when it happens and hang on the Guarantee has gone and Bang it costs - Dave 😠

Attached is an old Post showing the Condenser Marks & Sub-Assy views on the Condenser Area just for interest.

37979659-2A13-4CB2-AF9D-A8C3B110A8D2.jpeg

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4122&start=250
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

My 320 quids worth done 3 months ago..not by dealer

Shows oil leaks various...

Untitled.png

Last edited by calnorth on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
RiveriaMan

Post by RiveriaMan »

I will take some proper photos of my Condenser once it comes out on Friday for £300. Always looking for projects for the QQ, but certainly after the new unit goes in will be looking to fit the Condenser Mesh Protector Mod.
Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Makes me wonder if Quick fit actually used the correct gas.
What does R12 or R134a do to the seals etc in a system designed to run with the latest highly flammable expensive gas ?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Dunno...its been used as a aerosol duster/freezer (electronics etc) and is used in inhalers it appears (Wiki).

It simply creates a hole in the planets ozone apparently. Banned in the West but in the East...anything goes.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

These comments might be worth looking at - Dave 🤗

R134a and R1234yf are similar, however, R1234yf was created as a more environmentally friendly replacement to R134a. The biggest difference between the two is that R1234yf is mildly flammable and does require special handling. Diagnosis of the air-conditioning system can be done in the same way as with R134a.

People assume that R-1234yf and R-134a can be interchangeable. Yes, the pressures between the two refrigerants are very close to each other, but they are NOT exact. ... Contaminating your system with a foreign refrigerant will at best case shorten the life of your compressor and other components.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com ... -you-ready

This Post was like a Life Story it just went ON & ON but interesting :
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4122
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken