AC Leak and Dealer Question

ICE, Equipment, Options
Scruffy_77
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Scruffy_77 »

Hi There

I am new here so my first post. I am also only a Qashqai owner of 6 months.

I have a Teckna which is around 18 months old now, when I bought the car it was December so I never checked the air con until about February this year… which I found was only blowing warm air. I paid for it to be re-gassed and it was then nice and icy cold.

Come two weeks ago and the weather improving I noticed it was just blowing warm air out. So I contacted my Nissan dealer, the car went in today under warranty and the dealer called me to say I would have to pay £150 for the car to be re-gassed with UV gas so they could look for a leak as it’s empty again.

I found it strange I would have to pay for the gas so they could diagnose - taking into account I paid for it to be regassed 5 months ago. Logically speaking I would assume as it has run out within 5 months it’s quite clear it’s leaking. Is this standard operating procedure with Nissan to have to pay for the UV gas so they can find the leak? Currently I told them I’m not paying a penny for diagnoses of something quite wrong with a car under warranty - but they held their ground and wouldn’t budge so I am at a stalemate.

Here is the plot twist, when I had it re-gassed it was at a local KwickFit as due to lockdown the local one was just up the road. The dealer claims they don’t know Kwickfit’s procedures so they disregard the fact it has been regassed.

Any input would be helpful as I’m wondering if I need to bite the bullet or stand my ground?

Thanks in advance!

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

They should be testing with nitrogen as it is illegal to fill a system with r1234yf if you know its leaking. If there is no leak found with nitrogen at 10 bar then you can fill the system with gas as it has passed the test and inject uv to help locate a leak in the future.

You can actually use shop air (compressed air) and fill the system with that up to 10 bar and then spray the condenser and all pipes and joints with soapy water and wait for some bubbles to indicate a leak ( same procedure with nitrogen).
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Can't add any more.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Scruffy_77

Post by Scruffy_77 »

Awesome thank you for your replies, I will echo this in conversation with them today
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Scruffy_77 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 am Awesome thank you for your replies, I will echo this in conversation with them today
Ask them if they had bothered to look at the Condenser. If that is leaking (very common) then a number of oil stains will be seen on the Condenser edges....usually.
Nitrogen is the logical test method because apart from the refrigerant expulsion legal issue its crazily expensive. At least £150 to fully charge the system with refrigerant.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

calnorth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:26 am
Scruffy_77 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 am Awesome thank you for your replies, I will echo this in conversation with them today
Ask them if they had bothered to look at the Condenser. If that is leaking (very common) then a number of oil stains will be seen on the Condenser edges....usually.
Nitrogen is the logical test method because apart from the refrigerant expulsion legal issue its crazily expensive. At least £150 to fully charge the system with refrigerant. Add labour and bits...seals etc
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Scruffy_77

Post by Scruffy_77 »

They used the whole it being done at Kwickfit for the regas as a reason they do not know it’s leaking - hence they need to regas it with UV. Although the fact it was empty, regassed in January and now empty again being the most obvious sign of it leaking they still say there is no evidence it’s leaking and KwickFit could have likely done it incorrectly. Also as the car is 18 months old they towed the line that Nissan standard procedure is that they need a regas at 18 months. Looks like I’m stuck on this without paying £150.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Why aren't you taking it back to Kwikfit and complaining they didn't do it properly in the first place?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Give these people a call: www.coolcaraircon.co.uk

They are mobile. I used one in the W.Midlands to replace my leaking (as a standard) N-Connecta Condenser 3 months back. I posted the story here somewhere?

£320 for the complete Condenser replacement by a very competent man. Took about 3 hours on my drive. However, they will test/diagnose recharge or change...whatever. That same cost at a dealer is about £600. This guy was constantly changing QashQai Condensers..plus others of course. He had the front of my car off in a very short time...no guessing.

The dealers will of course keep to their scheduled servicing periods and discount/condemn any other organisation...not surprised.

Mine is a 2017 car that lost its Condenser (leaky) at about 30 months during last winter. I don't use A/C in winter which maybe a habit I need to change.. :lol:
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Scruffy_77

Post by Scruffy_77 »

Thanks mate really helpful.

It’s taken a bit of a turn as Kwickfit confirmed they put 500g of Freon in the car in January so I put that to the dealer and quoted the above about a suspected leak and it being illegal to fill up. It’s now booked back in for a nitrogen test.

Thank you all for your replies, I don’t really understand all this but it has helped me move this forward. Appreciated