Trailer indicator warning light

ICE, Equipment, Options
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

Just fitted a complete set of quality LED indicator bulbs on each corner of my Qashqai J11 2020.
Got the can bus error free and no hyper flash version to be safe.
All works fine, super bright sharp and clear, maybe a little too bright infact.

There is an issue however and that is the Trailor indicator warning light on the instrument panel intermittently comes on and gently flickers when I indicate. Not every-time but quite often.
Looking at the owners manual it states that this will illuminate whenever the system detects extra electrical load from, as an example a trailers indicators, which makes sense I suppose but shows how finicky cars are these days.

Trouble is, I don't have a trailer or even a tow bar. So my guess is that the loading on the LED aftermarket bulbs are slightly higher than the standard bulb load in order to prevent hyper flash, but are on the border of what the qashqai sees as a gentle over load .
I get the feeling that shopping for the perfect LED bulbs to match the Qashqai electrical system could be fun.
Has anyone found a set of LED bulbs that work perfectly fine and can advise accordingly.
I used ....581 (PY21W) Bayonet LED Bulbs for back and 582 (7440) Wedge Bulbs (LED) on the front.
Come on my forum pals lets see your bulbs !!!!!!!

Regards,
mrugby

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I suppose the basic question is "Why bother?" - which "benefits" are you after? Aren't the indicators the least significant to upgrade since they're hardly ever on? And "normal" bulbs are usually amply bright enough for safety reasons.

On certain cars there are reasons to change the indicator bulbs, so for instance I "detangoed" my Fabia by putting silvered (tungsten) bulbs in, though I could also now achieve that effect with LEDs. I think I bought some for the front of my Qashqai but never got round to fitting them, and I haven't bothered with the Ignis since the car's orange in any case so they match!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Issues aside of course, the clean,crisp, bright, instantaneous modern effect of an LED indicator bulb lifts the lighting standard of the car in my opinion but more importantly increases visibility to other road users at known accident hot spots....our road junctions, but the LED load headaches are a pain I agree.
Anyway, for those who have not noticed the trailer warning light before it looks like this picture.
Am i right in thinking that everyone who tows a trailer or caravan gets this light on when towing with electrics connected ?
mrugby

indicator.jpeg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I'd expect the vehicle BCM design having some difficulty detecting the load parameter accurately as regards a failed lamp...or not. Meaning a particular manufacturer BCM receives After Market item operating data (current draw) resulting in fault detection indeterminacy..perhaps?

I also note that problem from Texas Instrument (Ti) LED lamp deployment design notes.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta