Battery issue

ICE, Equipment, Options
Ariena
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Ariena »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for what might seem like a basic issue, I'm not particularly au fait with cars and would appreciate some help if possible!

In December, I contacted a local mobile mechanic that replaced the battery in my car for me as it was faulty. I haven't been able to use it for a little while and I tried today but the battery is dead again. I do have a battery pack that can jump start but I thought the mechanic may have told me that I shouldn't use that as it's a stop/start battery - I might also be misremembering though!
I'm nervous to do anything because the battery will still be in warranty. However, it appears that the mobile mechanic may have stopped trading - there's no facebook page anymore, google says permanently closed and the whatsapp number I had says it's now registered as a standard account, not a business account. I don't know who he bought the battery from, so I feel a bit stuck in the event I need to replace it under warranty. Do you think the battery manufacturer may be able to assist me?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm a little bit worried about what I should do from here. Thanks!
Lucy

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I wouldn't expect a manufacturer of anything to respond to a remote Customer. They operate through a Point of Sale which is your ex-mechanic and he would have the sale receipt.

Its good you are concerned about doing anything to a dead battery. You wouldn't know its safety status. There are risks related to you and the car.

Perhaps getting the RAC or AA to help and who carry the right electrical equipment. Bit expensive but they would check and install correctly and won't be out of business soon IMO.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I don't think there's an issue using a battery pack on a Qashqai is there - what do others think?

However you don't say how long "a little while" is - the battery should be OK for several weeks.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

If a car battery has not been used for a while the plates inside can deteriorate and the battery will need to be charged preferably with a charger that can recover a flat battery state.
I can't see how lack of use could be a warranty claim depending on how long it has been since you used it of course.so a battery charge would be your best bet.
Do you have a proper battery charger ? and are you able to connect it to the car directly or take the battery inside ?
Many good quality modern battery chargers run through automatic checks and gradually bring the battery out of it's flat state and check it is capable of holding a charge, all done automatically. On the other hand a basic charger will try to charge and pass or fail.
If you don't use your car much, then the first option will also keep your battery in a topped up maintenance state if you are able to keep it connected, such as if you have access to a garage.
Come back to us and if you wish we can advise you on how to connect your car to a charger if you have one and get you out of trouble. As said earlier there are precautions to take when accessing car battery terminals which we can cover later when you get back to us.
I should add that the mechanic may have indicated to you that a power pack is insufficient because the new stop start battery's have a high current capacity which may overwhelm your pack. Try a battery charge first if you are able to.
mrugby
Ariena

Post by Ariena »

Thank you so much for the responses!
I can't remember exactly when I last used the car, I believe it would be February/March though. I sent a WhatsApp and email to the mechanic I'd used last night but so far, not had a reply.

I haven't looked at battery chargers before, is there anything specifically I should look for? I see there is one on Amazon for £27.99, but I don't know whether that is a bit basic or maybe there's better things to look for? It sounds like the charger could be a benefit to me, I will probably use the car sporadically so being able to charge it the day before I need it would be ok.

Thanks everyone for looking at this - I was in a bit of a panic about this last night. Today I'm feeling a little more realistic about things :)
Zaffy

Post by Zaffy »

Battery and battery again. It seems to be really a problem with Battery on QQ. I've experienced a Battery problem on a new car after the first switch-on out the Nissan garage. Incredible.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Zaffy - welcome to this forum
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Hi Ariena
As stated above the qashqai has had known battery issues in the past with a particular original brand, however you have stated earlier that the battery is fairly new so I would guess your mechanic purchased a different type.
Car chargers are a minefield and there are hundreds of them.
If you by cheap you won't get much power to charge and it could sometimes take days to complete.
If you pay too much there is a chance you have gone to far.
The main thing to look for on a charger is the charging capacity, which basically means how much punch the charger can push into your battery over a period of time.
Example a 1 amp battery charger is a lot slower than a 5 amp battery charger, while a 12 amp battery charger is more powerful than a 5 amp.
This figure is important when a battery is flat as it is able to charge faster from a flat state and with car battery's now having to deal with numerous stop start actions of the engine the current battery's tend to have a higher power capacity which can take longer to charge.

So with all that jargon out of the way, below is a picture of my battery charger which is a year old and was purchased at my local Tool station depot which are around everywhere. It is a reputable brand, had good 5 start reviews and carry's a fair punch at 12 amps.
It has the safety features a novice requires and you won't get confused with digital display information. It is a little bulky compared to some at 8 inches by 8 inches or 20 cm by 20 cm give or take as it is fan cooled.

It has led selection lights and tells you when it;s done. I think I paid 40 odd pound before lock down started. Battery's are probably around the 100 pound plus mark I guess, so if it gets you out of trouble then you have saved a bit of cash and have the charger for future use.
Are you able to get the charger to the car, do you have a garage etc is a consideration as they are mains powered.
Let us know so we can help you in the next step. Incidentally do you have a neighbor with a charger who could assist first.
mrugby.

battery charger.jpg

Ariena

Post by Ariena »

mrugby wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:19 pm Hi Ariena
As stated above the qashqai has had known battery issues in the past with a particular original brand, however you have stated earlier that the battery is fairly new so I would guess your mechanic purchased a different type.
Car chargers are a minefield and there are hundreds of them.
If you by cheap you won't get much power to charge and it could sometimes take days to complete.
If you pay too much there is a chance you have gone to far.
The main thing to look for on a charger is the charging capacity, which basically means how much punch the charger can push into your battery over a period of time.
Example a 1 amp battery charger is a lot slower than a 5 amp battery charger, while a 12 amp battery charger is more powerful than a 5 amp.
This figure is important when a battery is flat as it is able to charge faster from a flat state and with car battery's now having to deal with numerous stop start actions of the engine the current battery's tend to have a higher power capacity which can take longer to charge.

So with all that jargon out of the way, below is a picture of my battery charger which is a year old and was purchased at my local Tool station depot which are around everywhere. It is a reputable brand, had good 5 start reviews and carry's a fair punch at 12 amps.
It has the safety features a novice requires and you won't get confused with digital display information. It is a little bulky compared to some at 8 inches by 8 inches or 20 cm by 20 cm give or take as it is fan cooled.

It has led selection lights and tells you when it;s done. I think I paid 40 odd pound before lock down started. Battery's are probably around the 100 pound plus mark I guess, so if it gets you out of trouble then you have saved a bit of cash and have the charger for future use.
Are you able to get the charger to the car, do you have a garage etc is a consideration as they are mains powered.
Let us know so we can help you in the next step. Incidentally do you have a neighbor with a charger who could assist first.
mrugby.
Thank you so much! I do have a garage, so I could run an extension lead out there to charge the car if needed.
I’ve had a look but my local Toolstations don’t have the charger in stock unfortunately. I might give them a call and see if they can get it but I’m guessing it could be unlikely. I’ve found one on Amazon that is 10A, it looks a bit easier to understand than some others! Would you mind taking a look if I send the link?

The charger seems like a good idea, the battery before Christmas cost me about £185! So spending 20% of that on a charger is fine with me
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

no problem
mrugby