Brake lights stuck on

ICE, Equipment, Options
adam.pah
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by adam.pah »

Nope. No warning lights. Everything seems normal except for the brakes spontaneously seizing..

I really didn’t want to have to call the AA out in a lockdown but I can’t even get it to a garage now.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 pm Nope. No warning lights. Everything seems normal except for the brakes spontaneously seizing..

I really didn’t want to have to call the AA out in a lockdown but I can’t even get it to a garage now.
Is the handbrake system operated by cable or electronic/electric? I can't tell which from diagnostics that I have.

Diagnostics does not mention a brake system lock ON fault and related to ABS Control. If the ABS Control unit is faulty it should default to a non ABS system.

Does the Brake switch cable consist of 2 wires or 4? The Brake switch is likely 4 pin and 2 of those pins signal to the Shift lever and ECU. I suspect that is shift lever interlocking so that a shift to neutral does not allow the car to roll/move unexpectedly. Not sure about ECU signalling but it won't be braking.

Have you disconnected the brake light switch again...see if brakes release? Block car from rolling as well.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

I removed the switch again and reinstalled. I tried driving with the switch both connected and disconnected and the issue remains.
No lights are out of place on the dash and the gear selector display is showing the gearbox working as it should. It is not related to the handbrake as a can release it and you feel there is some movement. I’m hitting a brick wall here. All I can think is that there is some kind of fault stored in the ecu that is keeping brakes engaged or some kind of air lock...

I did take a video but can’t seem to upload it from my phone
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

It is the 4 pin switch
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:08 pm I removed the switch again and reinstalled. I tried driving with the switch both connected and disconnected and the issue remains.
No lights are out of place on the dash and the gear selector display is showing the gearbox working as it should. It is not related to the handbrake as a can release it and you feel there is some movement. I’m hitting a brick wall here. All I can think is that there is some kind of fault stored in the ecu that is keeping brakes engaged or some kind of air lock...

I did take a video but can’t seem to upload it from my phone
The video would have to be loaded to a separate website...like Youtube or your own. Server here not configured for vids.

The ECU can't operate the brake system, would be very dangerous The ABS Unit does of course and is in the direct path from the foot brake master cylinder to each wheel. It should default OFF if faulty and is not controlled by the Stop light Switch.

Can you check that the master cylinder actuator rod moves back and forward with the brake pedal. Attached is the J10 brake diagnostics. Have a good look through...check settings/clearances etc.

brakes.pdf
(612.87 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

Thanks for that. I’ll take a good look later on the laptop. Will also check that rod in a bit. 👍
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

Update:

I had to call out the AA in the end as I couldn't get to the bottom of it.
It turns out that the brake light sensor needs to be adjusted once fitted. I had it pushed in too far and that was activating the brake assist servo.
Best off leaving it to the professionals!!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It was pushing the brake pedal down then ? Very odd if true.

Removing the switch should have released the brakes...if the brake pedal could move back up.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

It wasn't pushing on the pedal. Apparently the brake assist servo is controlled electronically. Where I had removed the 2 switches and just pushed them back in without adjusting them, the servo had got itself out of whack apparently. This is how the AA guy explained it anyway...
Lu3

Post by Lu3 »

So not sure if this will be a fix for everyone’s brake lights that are stuck on. Our brake lights were staying on and flickering to varying degrees when we messed around with the boot and sometimes when we slammed the boot the lights would go off for a bit but then come back on. After days of trying various things to turn the brake lights off and having to disconnect the battery when not in use we finally found the cause of the problem. Where the spare wheel is was a pool of water and the brake lights were being knocked around by a piece of metal and getting wet. We had to pull out the stoppers to drain the paddling pool amount of water and tuck the wires back in so they weren’t touching the metal from the jack. We just recently had an insane amount of flooding and obviously picked up some water driving through deeper patches of water. Something to keep an eye on in future. But brake lights not flickering and not staying on anymore.