Handbrake issue? Orange ! light and flashing P light.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
mattie280702
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mattie280702 »

I was wanting to jump on this thread as i seem to be having the same issue. Those of you that had it fixed was it all under warranty as mine is now out of warranty and sounds like it could be expensive if anyone knows roughly how much?

Thanks

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mattie, if you read the attached post from my last comment we have had no problems since June 17 so one year. The checks carried out was all done FOC so I assume they carried it out under Guarantee but it could have been a Customer Service. Just for ref everything that has happened on our QQ has been photographed and documented in case our Dealer / NCS gives a Problem regarding the Guarantee, but as yet all is positive Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Orange :!: Light came on after moving off from sitting at a railway crossing then continued driving. After stopping the red (P) light came on and the light on the e-handbrake started flashing. Plz help.
Sean3838

Post by Sean3838 »

This fault occurs when the handbrake is applied when the car is still in motion even the slighest movement,make sure the car has completely stopped before applying the handbrake.
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

This has just happened on my daughters 2016, QQ Nissan Dealer £130 for diagnostics and a further £80 for Module change at Dealers a total of £500
can we fix this for less?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Mostyn wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 pm This has just happened on my daughters 2016, QQ Nissan Dealer £130 for diagnostics and a further £80 for Module change at Dealers a total of £500
can we fix this for less?
I think that if you or your daughter belong to a motoring organisation (e.g. AA or RAC, etc.) with the membership which gets you attention on your drive you should be able to get the diagnostic test for free. Or at the very least a week trained mechanic's view of the problem.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The Parking Brake system is unfortunately not trivial. It will need Nissans CONSULT diagnostic tool to test and reveal any error codes (DTCs). A local garage could only perform a visual check at best IMO. An emerging problem of modern cars and their on board electronics. Complexity of system shown below.

1-02-18 .png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lennonswain

Post by lennonswain »

Hey Everyone,

Alas my 2015 QQ is doing the same, I’m assuming it will need a new ECU parking brake sensor.
Good news is I e only had the car 2 weeks and have 2 weeks left on the warranty. Bad news is I brought the car from a non Nissan dealer / trader so will have to convince them this is the fault!
Grebacwhite

Post by Grebacwhite »

I’d like to answer a question that I’ve seen asked in multiple forums about replacing the faulty Parking Brake Control Module with a secondhand unit.

I can confirm that if you replace it with a secondhand unit with a matching part number it will work without any need for ‘coding’. It’s already coded.

The need for coding only arises with new control module units ordered from Nissan being ‘blank’ so Nissan have to contact HQ to request the data for the specific car so they can then write that to the parking brake module (code it) so it matches the original and hence it will work.

NOTE: A Parking Brake Control Module is not locked to a VIN, so you can fit a module from another Qashqai as long as the secondhand unit has a matching code(top right area on the white sticker of the module, mine was 36032 4BA0A), and then it will work.

I replaced mine yesterday with a secondhand unit for £24 delivered, so I thought I’d post here to let anyone else know it will work and you don’t need to spend £350 at Nissan for a new one unless you want to.

Nissan quoted me £190 inc. vat for the parking brake control module, and 1.2hrs @ 133/hr to fit and code it. Total £350. Another Nissan dealer quoted £320 @1hr labour btw.

Basically start by disconnecting the battery and remove the main console centre section, no tools needed for this.
Pop off the side covers by the gearstick, lift up the armrest, then lift the gearstick cover and the cup holder plastic section and remove. Everything has push clips retaining it in place so won’t break.

Then climb in the back seat and unscrew the single Philips head screw on each side at the rear rear lower corner of the console. Pop off the rear cover(it just pulls off), so you can see inside at the rear.

Now try to lift up the rear left and right side 1/2” to create a space above the parking brake module(the storage section of the centre console obscures the bolt holding the module in), that will then allow you to get a socket and fingers in there to loosen and unscrew the bolt(10mm hex head bolt), the other fixing furthest forward holding the module in place is a 10mm nut.

Then unplug the big multi plug connected to the module by moving the plastic locking lever across and it’ll release the multi plug.

All you have to do now is swap the module and refit.

It took me 20 mins from the start, to having the module replaced and another 10 mins to refit the screws and plastic panels etc and put it all back together.

Upon reconnecting the battery you don’t lose anything, all the stereo stations stay programmed, only thing you’ll find is the dash info-screen will show the default selected items again, like DAB radio and Economy meter etc, so tick or untick the boxes on ones you want to keep displayed.

My parking brake fault started with the rear right parking brake suddenly very intermittently not activating, throwing a yellow error light on the dash and a flashing parking light on the dash and switch. Sometimes it did work then it would falter again and again.

I replaced the parking brake actuator on the rear right wheel but it still had the fault, then replacing the module and it’s since been faultless.

And it’s a common fault for Qashqai’s it seems.

For reference I own a 2014 1.5dci j11 Qashqai, and the secondhand Parking Brake Control Module I fitted was from a 2015 1.6dci j11 Qashqai.
Part numbers both matched 36032 4BA0A.

Hope that helps someone!