1.2 Dig-T Stage-1 Tuning Pros and Cons

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
ElevenS
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ElevenS »

Hi all. There is a lot of Stage 1 tuning offers to increase from 115 to 140 hp and from 190 to 240 nm. Sounds good. But what about engine life and fuel consumption?

Is somebody made Stage 1 on his QQ on this forum and can share his own review of this? 8-)

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I can’t answer your question but it seems to me that this engine is known for being a little "fragile", even when it hasn’t been modified.
Obviously, your money so your choice but I wouldn’t want to stress the engine
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

It would be interesting to know how many miles there are on your car - these engines can fail at low mileage even when not stressed by tuning.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

My view is that the OEM spends a lot of time and money getting the engine management right for any given application.

I always bear mind that if you start from the points that the OEM created , then everything that gets changed will have a positive and negative effect.

IE , you remap for power - you will always use more fuel.
You remap for power , you will put a strain on other components

What I am trying to say is that there is no free benefit ( excluding the purchase costs ) to any modification.

For me , I buy the car that gives me the driving experience I like.
I had a manual 1.2 , and I drove it pretty hard.
Fuel economy wasnt great , but performance was ok if you pushed it hard.
The 1.3 on the other hand is a totally different beast - and Im glad I have that engine now.

If you want to carry out the upgrades , then thats your choice , but its an expensive way to achieve what could be false claims and an increase in fuel usage.
There is no way you can get more power AND better fuel economy

Good luck
xaote

Post by xaote »

ElevenS wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 pm Hi all. There is a lot of Stage 1 tuning offers to increase from 115 to 140 hp and from 190 to 240 nm. Sounds good. But what about engine life and fuel consumption?

Is somebody made Stage 1 on his QQ on this forum and can share his own review of this? 8-)
I have remapped some of my previous cars (which have all been diesels).
A remap transformed the cars, especially a 2.2 mazda 6 and a 1.9 vag.... But, both of these engines did come with extra power in different versions of the same lump so really, there was no extra stress on the engines components and more importantly, I had owned all of these cars from new so they had been properly serviced and maintained.

Would I remap a small petrol engine which I knew nothing about it's history, no, definitely not.

Also, a lot of companies use a generic map which I recommend you avoid if you do decide to go ahead.
Every engine is different so make sure you go to somewhere that does it right, a map for YOUR engine.

Imagine watching and listening to your engine screaming it's nuts off on a rolling road a few times, hopefully that'll be be enough to put you off.

If you go ahead, I wish you good luck.

Edit. I know nothing about the 1.2 dig-t engine
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
ElevenS

Post by ElevenS »

Buffy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:33 am My view is that the OEM spends a lot of time and money getting the engine management right for any given application.

I always bear mind that if you start from the points that the OEM created , then everything that gets changed will have a positive and negative effect.

IE , you remap for power - you will always use more fuel.
You remap for power , you will put a strain on other components

What I am trying to say is that there is no free benefit ( excluding the purchase costs ) to any modification.

For me , I buy the car that gives me the driving experience I like.
I had a manual 1.2 , and I drove it pretty hard.
Fuel economy wasnt great , but performance was ok if you pushed it hard.
The 1.3 on the other hand is a totally different beast - and Im glad I have that engine now.

If you want to carry out the upgrades , then thats your choice , but its an expensive way to achieve what could be false claims and an increase in fuel usage.
There is no way you can get more power AND better fuel economy

Good luck
That's pretty interesting, because Renault Megane 3 has the same engine with factory firmware 130ps and 205nm. My mileage now is 30k. If my engine fails, can I install 1.3 without many modifications (for example transmission swap)?
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I suspect installing a 1.3 in a 1.2 car will be fraught with electronics problems which will be insurmountable. No one's even suggested it before.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

I wonder whether the 156 BHP of the 1.3 T engine can't be boosted electronically (it has more power in a Mercedes AFAIK) . Maybe the 140 BHP can be professionally tuned to 156 BHP easily!?