Music usb not recognised, any recommendations?

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
amz2740
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by amz2740 »

calnorth wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm Attempted a test with a SANDISK ImageMate All-in-One USB 2.0 Reader/Writer (SDDR-189). Using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SDHC card.

Result was complete fail....dead. The headunit was unable to power the reader/writer. However, this is a reader/writer and not reader only.

As regards the readers I see on eBay. I have no idea whats in them..anything from 4 wires to a small interface ...don't know.

The rig I used..reader/writer/sd card/USB cable (1mtr) works perfectly on Windows/Linux. So I have to say this appears to be a headunit power weakness and meaning its under specified for standard USB operation. Causing USB stick recognition failures?

The iPhone test uses a device powering itself..not so the writer/reader.

Anybody that has a reader only that works...let us know please.
Thanks for trying this, sorry it didn't work though. Going to buy a cheap SanDisk cruzer 8gb and see how I get on with that. Failing that I will try a small all in one usb such as this:

Will let you know how I get on.
2019 (19 Plate) 1.5 Tekna Black

fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

I trust you are plugging the USB stick into the USB port in the centre arm rest and not the one in the front console? I have a 64 Gb cheap stick formatted as FAT32 and a USB cable extension to prevent wear of the USB port. Can you bluetooth music to the headunit from your phone or is this also a problem?
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
amz2740

Post by amz2740 »

fbgqashqai wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:17 am I trust you are plugging the USB stick into the USB port in the centre arm rest and not the one in the front console? I have a 64 Gb cheap stick formatted as FAT32 and a USB cable extension to prevent wear of the USB port. Can you bluetooth music to the headunit from your phone or is this also a problem?
Hey, yes i'm using the USB port in the centre arm rest. Bluetooth audio from phone to unit is working fine. I have sandisk cruzer 8gb on the way this week so hopefully that works. Might also get a usb cable extension as that's a good idea to prevent wear like you said.
2019 (19 Plate) 1.5 Tekna Black
StampyNTFC

Post by StampyNTFC »

Hi all, 1st post here, so be gentle.... :)

My 2019 QQ sees the USB stick fine (a 128Gb stick), but the 2 problems I have are these:-

1) If I'm playing a track from my stick and leave the car - and then restart it, the track that I WAS playing starts up again from a random place on the track (or even starts the next track)
Is this normal?.

2) I have my MP3's stored in directories, by the Artist name and then by Album - as in the example below:-

//Asia>>(1982) Asia --> Album tracks numbered 1 to 11 (eg. 01 - Heat Of The Moment, 02 - Sole Survivor)
//Asia>>(1983) Alpha --> (as above)
//Asia>>(1985) Astra --> (as above)

Is there anyway I can get my player in the car to continue to the next folder down when it finishes one directory?? (

At the moment, (using the example above), it SHOULD play the (1982) Asia folder, then go onto the (1983) Alpha folder, but it doesn't - it stops at the end of the (1982) Asia folder?
I've tried using the "repeat folder" button - but it just plays the same folder from the start..

Am I missing something simple?
Drives a 19 plate Qashqai...

Go seize the day
Wake up and say
This is an extraordinary life

John Wetton (1949-2017)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Is there not a random track selection icon to use ?
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum. I'll let others respond not now being able to try it out to check
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

amz2740 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:08 pm
calnorth wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm Attempted a test with a SANDISK ImageMate All-in-One USB 2.0 Reader/Writer (SDDR-189). Using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SDHC card.

Result was complete fail....dead. The headunit was unable to power the reader/writer. However, this is a reader/writer and not reader only.

As regards the readers I see on eBay. I have no idea whats in them..anything from 4 wires to a small interface ...don't know.

The rig I used..reader/writer/sd card/USB cable (1mtr) works perfectly on Windows/Linux. So I have to say this appears to be a headunit power weakness and meaning its under specified for standard USB operation. Causing USB stick recognition failures?

The iPhone test uses a device powering itself..not so the writer/reader.

Anybody that has a reader only that works...let us know please.
Thanks for trying this, sorry it didn't work though. Going to buy a cheap SanDisk cruzer 8gb and see how I get on with that. Failing that I will try a small all in one usb such as this:

Will let you know how I get on.
As a follow up I have been testing some of my USB sticks 4GB, 8GB and 32GB

The 4 & 8GB sticks are Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 (Highspeed) as illustrated above by @gloucester
The 32GB sticks are Kingston DataTraveler USB 3.0 (Superspeed)

Both Sandisks are quickly recognised by the Nissan headunit. The Kingstons are not.

Sandisk current draw is 100ma (correct per USB specs)
Kingston current draw is 500ma (correct per USB specs)

Both makes work flawlessly on Win10 and Linux Mint 20.2 (Ubuntu)
The Sandisks work on the Nissan headunit. The Kingston types do not.

Apart from the power (current draw), I note on examination of two registers (VID & PID) stored on the Kingston sticks, errors are flagged.

*** ERROR: Invalid wMaxPacketSize. Max 64 bytes allowed in full speed mode.
Microsoft OS Descriptor is not available. Error code: 0x0000001F

Whether those errors stop the Nissan headunit recognising the sticks I don't know. Certainly WIN10 and Linux manage them ok..or perhaps discard them and proceed normally.

VID & PID registers are examined by the embedded USB hosts (Win10, Linux, Nissan) when the USB stick is plugged in. This enables the correct driver to be selected and handle the type of USB device present. In this case USB sticks.
Errors in power budget, VID & PID will cause a Not Recognised Message (Reject) message after some timeout period. Perhaps no message at all...dead.

I have other sticks at 64GB and 128GB to test. Sandisks, so will likely add to this post later.

...................................................................................................................
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

This has never been an issue for me because my music is all on my iPhone, so I tend to skip these threads.
However, I have a vague memory that USB sticks above 16GB don’t reliably work (for an unknown reason) - I might have read this on the Juke forum.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
StampyNTFC

Post by StampyNTFC »

Like I said in my post above, my 128Gb SanDisk stick "reads" ok, and shows all the tracks ok...

However,it DOESN'T remember where it "stops" when I leave tthe car.
It also doesn't seem to want to play from consecutive album folders...

However, I'll try the suggestion of a smaller size USB stick and report back...
Drives a 19 plate Qashqai...

Go seize the day
Wake up and say
This is an extraordinary life

John Wetton (1949-2017)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 am This has never been an issue for me because my music is all on my iPhone, so I tend to skip these threads.
However, I have a vague memory that USB sticks above 16GB don’t reliably work (for an unknown reason) - I might have read this on the Juke forum.
There are a number of claims on this site for USB Sticks upto 128GB that work. With no knowledge of what the headunits contain (hw + sw) its impossible to determine what the capability is. I am trying a few things to get some logical explanation for an LCN3 headunit at 2017 not performing. I was beginning to think that because this headunt only handles music and POI's it likley won't need to go above approx 8GB?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta