IMO Car Wash Thoughts?

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I clean my wheels regularly, but never take 4 hours to do so and they still look good to me. Just as an aside, have you tried any of the wheel protection materials you can apply?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, I am not what you would call a “Detailer” but I recognize what they go for and I must admit I do like a clean motor and Alloys. Our QQ is cleaned regularly inc the Alloys and I use “Maguires Ultimate Spray Cleaner” and then now and again “Nigrin Nanotec” which is a Sealer. I find with regular cleaning the Alloys are OK and on the last 4 Nissan’s I have had I never had a problem with the Alloys. Once initially Cleaned with Brushes and Polished then just a regular cleaning and a Polish now and again would probably be sufficient, but the Brake Dust is corrosive - Dave 🤗
“Basically, brake dust is made up of iron particles and is caused by the grinding of the cast iron brake rotor by the brake pads. In addition, brake dust also contains some of the metallic elements of the brake pad and carbon residue, which also comes from the brake pad.”

Best car wheel wax and sealant | Auto Express : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... nd-sealant
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Qashowner wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:31 pm I clean my wheels regularly, but never take 4 hours to do so and they still look good to me. Just as an aside, have you tried any of the wheel protection materials you can apply?

Some of the 4 hours was getting my buckets and jet washer ready too :lol:

I've not had my wheels specifically coated (you can get ceramic coatings etc for wheels) but I use spray on/rinse off products. At the moment I've been using Diamondbrite Alloy Shield which I find is very good, you just spritz it onto a wet wheel then jet wash off straight away. It is a little expensive though, it's £14.95 for 250ml but it does go a long way. Here's some info from the Diamondbrite page....."This easy to use spray sealant is quick and effective, preventing the heavy soiling of bare wheel surfaces and making it easier to get them looking new again with minimal washing effort. Its durable, invisible, smooth coating can last for up to 3 months and is complimented with regular washing using a car wash treatment that does not strip protective coatings. Safe for use on most wheel types; single piece, split rims, Diamond Cut, and anodised, Alloy Shield Protector can easily be re-applied if it becomes damaged or is removed via extensive use of certain harsh alloy wheel cleaners"

I've just ordered some GYEON Q²M - Wet Coat which can be used on wheels and bodywork too, it's cheaper to at only £11.50 for 500ml.

If I decide to get the new QQ in the future I'll have the wheels (and bodywork) ceramic coated with a 3 or 5 year coating.

Regards, Chris.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

DaveBerlin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm Qashowner, I am not what you would call a “Detailer” but I recognize what they go for and I must admit I do like a clean motor and Alloys. Our QQ is cleaned regularly inc the Alloys and I use “Maguires Ultimate Spray Cleaner” and then now and again “Nigrin Nanotec” which is a Sealer. I find with regular cleaning the Alloys are OK and on the last 4 Nissan’s I have had I never had a problem with the Alloys. Once initially Cleaned with Brushes and Polished then just a regular cleaning and a Polish now and again would probably be sufficient, but the Brake Dust is corrosive - Dave 🤗
“Basically, brake dust is made up of iron particles and is caused by the grinding of the cast iron brake rotor by the brake pads. In addition, brake dust also contains some of the metallic elements of the brake pad and carbon residue, which also comes from the brake pad.”

Best car wheel wax and sealant | Auto Express : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... nd-sealant

Hi Dave,

I'd not seen the Auto Express reviews before, thanks for the link.

I prefer the spray on/rinse off products as there's no curing time and I find them so much easier to apply.

Regards, Chris.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, I spent a lot of time in the US working and holidaying in Florida. My free time interest was the “Super Boats” / Car Shows / Hot Rods etc and a Chat with the Owners / Polishers. Mostly all these Guys used Spray On / Wipe Off Polishes I never saw anyone using the older Wax Polishes from the Tin - Spray On / Wipe Off. I also only use Sprays now for me it is easier and quicker with little effort - as long as they give the end result I am happy ! - Dave 😃 👍
Just a couple of US Brit Models from the a British Car Show :

0BB6C71F-5FCA-4E14-85D1-80977D6C52F9.jpeg

000EFD72-D774-46CF-82A5-300FCE04CF38.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

malvern_man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:23 pm
I've just ordered some GYEON Q²M - Wet Coat which can be used on wheels and bodywork too, it's cheaper to at only £11.50 for 500ml.
You will like WetCoat, being a bit of a Gyeon junkie it's one of my favourite products, so quick and easy to use and gives a lovely finish and some great hydrophobicity.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 am Chris, I spent a lot of time in the US working and holidaying in Florida. My free time interest was the “Super Boats” / Car Shows / Hot Rods etc and a Chat with the Owners / Polishers. Mostly all these Guys used Spray On / Wipe Off Polishes I never saw anyone using the older Wax Polishes from the Tin - Spray On / Wipe Off. I also only use Sprays now for me it is easier and quicker with little effort - as long as they give the end result I am happy ! - Dave 😃 👍
Just a couple of US Brit Models from the a British Car Show :
0BB6C71F-5FCA-4E14-85D1-80977D6C52F9.jpeg
000EFD72-D774-46CF-82A5-300FCE04CF38.jpeg

Great pics Dave.

You can use a spray on/buff off coating over a wax coating as long as it states that it's wax safe, many car detailers do this, in fact I did exactly this to my QQ last Tuesday.

Regards, Chris.
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Weasel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:01 pm
malvern_man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:23 pm
You will like WetCoat, being a bit of a Gyeon junkie it's one of my favourite products, so quick and easy to use and gives a lovely finish and some great hydrophobicity.
Hi,

I've seen (YouTube) and read good things about Wet Coat.

Have you tried their Bathe or Bathe+ shampoos, I was thinking of getting some.

Regards, Chris.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Hi Chris...yes, I have Bathe and Bathe Essence, both are excellent.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

OK Malvern_man & Weasel, you have converted me to give this wonder stuff a try called Gyeon Q2M Wet Coat from Amazon, but it’s more expensive @ £13,69 but my UK Pension will pay for that though. Will I then be called a “Detailer” or something else 😋 .
Chris, still impressed with that “Shine Armor” Stuff it’s still doing the job - Regards Dave 😉