Start Stop Battery Replacement?

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
racebennon
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by racebennon »

Hi All,

I've been following this group for quiet someone but never posted anything here before. So this being my first post here, apologies if I've failed in my searches and this has already been discussed, if yes please forward me the correct URL to it

I have a 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 N-Tec
Okay so the problem I'm facing is, my dashboard has started displaying Start/Stop System Failure.

After some search over internet, a lot of ppl suggested that with battery replacement and getting a proper Start/Stop Battery (EFB or AGM), fixes the issue. So I searched for compatible batteries and found YUASA 096 7000 SERIES EFB CAR BATTERY

So my question is as follows,
  • Anyone used this battery? Any reviews about it?!?
  • Can I replace the battery myself? I've replaced batteries of other cars before but wanted to make sure, for Qashqai, if it's a simple battery replacement job or do I need to make note of radio codes or system reset that I need to do after battery replacement?
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Gel

Post by Gel »

As long as battery is identical capacity to original, dealer won't need to reprogramme the car's ECM.
Different capacity battery may well need differing charging output from the car, so battery works
to full capacity.

Quote from battery manufacturer's website:
"Finally, once the battery has been changed, reset the battery management system (BMS).
This will be done through the on-board diagnostics port. If you skip this step,
the stop/start system might not work and the battery’s operational life could be shortened
or system faults could develop."

Yes you can change battery yourself.

My dealer's price for fitting + supplying was very competitive; it was a Mitsubishi, but only had 1
year guarantee. When you buy batteries direct, guarantee is always longer.
YUASA very good make and widely used in many industries eg Fire Alarms.
Produce in UK too;
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/
Fitted one in my wife's Jag to replace 7 year old VARTA.
Last edited by Gel on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

No need to reprogram the ECM. However, the Nissan procedure for changing a battery ends with:

CAUTION:
After installing 12V battery, always check self-diagnosis results of all ECUs and erase DTC.

Stop/Start (SS) will fail if the vehicles Energy Management System detects errors related to Battery Current Sensing and Temperature. SS will also fail on other functions related to safety and emissions, so the CAUTION note above is designed to detect errors elsewhere.

The RAC under the Nissan Support Agreement for failing/failed FIAMM Batteries replaces with the VARTA AGM Battery which is mentioned a lot on this site.

Its possible therefore that you do not have just a Battery problem...

The delights of the Energy Management System as follows.

Screens9.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
collywobble
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by collywobble »

My first choice for a new battery purchase is Tayna batteries - www.tayna.co.uk - good choice of quality batteries (I always use Varta batteries) and next day delivery fully charged.
Nick_Precision

Post by Nick_Precision »

Make sure that the car battery is suitable for Start/Stop systems, it state in the description...
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta J11A
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Can you not replace battery with a new one without disconnecting old one join the two battery's together with jumper leads and remove the old one the same way if you where using jumper leads to start a flat battery making sure leads kept the power to the car, done it lots when people lost there radio code
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car