AliExpress Store charging VAT at source....China

The place to discuss everything else..
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Noticed this popup on a potential Paypal purchase on the AliExpress site:

"From 11PM 31 December 2020, AliExpress is required by law to collect UK Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the applicable rate and remit to the UK tax authority when goods are sold to UK customers
(i) where the goods are located outside the UK at the point of sale with a consignment value of GBP135 or less, or
(ii) where the goods are in the UK at the point of sale, but sold by an overseas seller.
For more information, please visit:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-ove ... nuary-2021"

Just trying to imagine a Chinaman with a VAT a/c...in China. And remitting the VAT.... ;) ;)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:02 am Noticed this popup on a potential Paypal purchase on the AliExpress site:

"From 11PM 31 December 2020, AliExpress is required by law to collect UK Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the applicable rate and remit to the UK tax authority when goods are sold to UK customers
(i) where the goods are located outside the UK at the point of sale with a consignment value of GBP135 or less, or
(ii) where the goods are in the UK at the point of sale, but sold by an overseas seller.

Just trying to imagine a Chinaman with a VAT a/c...in China. And remitting the VAT.... ;) ;)
Well. it's the same for all EU-countries too. In this case I think you're wrong. In my specific case it's actually cheaper this way since my post-office
charge 8 Euros + tax+VAT for handling. Now, I only have to pay the VAT.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

chosan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:19 am
calnorth wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:02 am Noticed this popup on a potential Paypal purchase on the AliExpress site:

Well. it's the same for all EU-countries too. In this case I think you're wrong. In my specific case it's actually cheaper this way since my post-office
It won't work like that...its a Scam

UK VAT No. not displayed
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:39 am

UK VAT No. not displayed

UK VAT No. not displayed
So you are actually telling me that all Chinese suppliers are running a scam. Look at Banggood.com another Chinese web store, this is what you will see when you buy from them.
"
About European Union VAT:

Goods purchased from Banggood and delivered to the destination located in the European Union (EU), VAT and duties(if applicable) have been included in their selling prices, and you don't need to pay additional tax. For more information about these costs, please contact the tax and customs authorities in your country."

For UK I don't know, but I believe it's the same. Be careful with your statements. I've not paid any duties since that date to my local post-office. It's not a scam, it's real.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

chosan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 am

UK VAT No. not displayed

UK VAT No. not displayed
So you are actually telling me that all Chinese suppliers are running a scam. Look at Banggood.com another Chinese web store, this is what you will see when you buy from them.
"
About European Union VAT:

Goods purchased from Banggood and delivered to the destination located in the European Union (EU), VAT and duties(if applicable) have been included in their selling prices, and you don't need to pay additional tax. For more information about these costs, please contact the tax and customs authorities in your country."

For UK I don't know, but I believe it's the same. Be careful with your statements. I've not paid any duties since that date to my local post-office. It's not a scam, it's real.
"Be careful with your statements". Thanks for the advice.....I'll ignore it for safety reasons.

AFAIK this is a UK managed website and your referenced EU tax arrangements in this thread do not apply.

No verifiable UK VAT No. is a Scam. Inappropriate application can be reported to both UK HMRC and the Police.

Bangood cannot charge UK VAT.....https://uk.banggood.com/help_center/que ... ?catid=209

Search for VAT on their awkward help pages
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I think you will find that the Chinese suppliers are charged duty(if applicable) and VAT to export from China to the UK, that I think is why they have started charging for VAT and not a VAT charge. In other words when a Chinese supplier sold to the UK before January 2021 there was no VAT charge to them, since then, they are charged 20% VAT to sell to us so they pass it on. In other words it is costing the Chinese 20% more to sell to us. It is a VAT charge on imports by the UK, a nice little earner for the treasury :D
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've certainly had to pay it on two recent orders.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I asked the China seller why he had invoiced VAT and got the following response...see pic.

The invoicing still charges VAT...so I class that as a Scam. I can't find the HMRC ramblings on it as regards individual purchases which used to limit charging at £25 if I remember right. Royal Mail used to let items pass without charge at values of about £35. However, the declaration wasn't quite accurate... :shock:

The penalty used to be VAT and handling charges by the likes of Parcel Force.

As regards China sellers (export) I was always under the impression that the CCP advantaged those sellers rather than tax them. Internal sales are something different. Internet pages a full of out dated stuff so its difficult to tell.

I'm not buying that stuff in the pic...risky

Screenshot 202.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

calnorth wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am I asked the China seller why he had invoiced VAT and got the following response...see pic.

The invoicing still charges VAT...so I class that as a Scam. I can't find the HMRC ramblings on it as regards individual purchases which used to limit charging at £25 if I remember right. Royal Mail used to let items pass without charge at values of about £35. However, the declaration wasn't quite accurate... :shock:
It is not a scam although better wording may be useful. All imports into the UK from abroad is subject to VAT which is charged by HMRC and not by china or any other country. Would you prefer to pay £100 and then get a bill for £120 or see why there is an additional 20% on the bill. China is only showing you that their product is subject to charges which they incur when sending goods to the uk. So their price to sell to the UK is £100 and they are charged an extra £20 in VAT to sell to the UK by the UK government, they are merely passing the charge on. It is VAT, but VAT charged and collected by HMRC.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)