Hello from Norfolk UK.

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

QaiFan wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 pm CVT fluid change seems to be the exact same issue with a.o. Toyota cars.
Seems, at least from what I have read around this matter, the exact type of oil (and maintenance) is *very* important too.
BTW in the past +40 years I had my car engine (not-CVT) oil changes every ... 2000-3000 miles (real crazy according to people in the know!).
A technician once told me ... I could easily re-use the oil from your car in other cars and customers would never notice :-)
But according to my un-scientific reasoning ... better safe than sorry.
If thats 2 - 3k over a year, Service Schedule says...change it. Its a place I have now got to.... :roll:
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

@calnorth. Not really ... 5000, up to 10000 miles a year.
But at the same time I had the car (briefly) checked ... a.o. tire pressure etc.
I was thinking ... if something is really wrong with a car it was going to cost me far more.
Now I have to admit ... these days even "oil-changing" got *far more expensive* and in case of modern car engines this schedule is simply *creazy* !
OldLadyAndSon

Post by OldLadyAndSon »

Thanks QaiFan & calnorth.

I've always adhered to service schedules w.r.t. to oil/filter - 10,000 miles yearly without fail....CVT fluid changes however, were unanticipated, but will now be factored in.
I'll probably settle on CVT fluid change every 20,000 miles/two yearly just to be on the safe side.
Though we might end up doing far fewer miles than that.

We'll probably go to Stephens Engineering for it (about an hour and a half from where we live), they seem like they really do know the CVTs and I've already spoken to them, and so far I feel very reassured that they are the right people.

Had a quote for a basic/intermediate service (no CVT) from a local (non Nissan) service centre where we've been taking our VWs and Skodas for years, and they want £120 for a QQ.
It's a bit more than my humble Citigo ASG, but the QQ is a lot more car!!

My local Nissan dealership would charge £269 for the same service, so we'll be sticking to 'our local' place - they're pretty good and will even provide a video of their work if needed.

OldLadyAndSon.
2018 Qashqai 1.6 dCi N-Connecta Xtronic
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Doesn't Nissan offer 1 year RAC recovery included in periodic car Service (minor/major) which depending on level of recovery is about £200 pa ?

With the amount of electronics in the QQ I was at one time tempted to get breakdown insurance...backed out since my miles are very low. Anyway, add in your CVT.

I was thinking (lightly) of this stuff as I drove along yesterday through town at about 10 - 15mph. And there in the background I could just here the slight whine of gear/differential run out as I touched the throttle (on/off). Slack somewhere which rather surprises me...akin to the old truck/busses. I am rather sensitive to gearbox noises (bearings) having suffered the crap support for my 2 yr old Mazda many years back. I'm talking about simple manual gearbox here which is also too easily messed up at production.

Turn the audio up.... :idea:
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

@calnorth. I had several Mazda cars (and Toyota, Volvo ...) past decades (626 / 6).
Never had problems with those cars.
Manual Transmissions were sheer perfection.
Guess you were unlucky !
If (big IF) my new J12 QQ proves just as reliable as Mazda / Toyota then I won't even need any warranty ... but indeed ... (car) electronics are now everywhere.
Those 3 years of Nissan warranty *might* prove wellcome indeed !
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

w.r.t. servicing

I.I.R.C. all Nissan dealers offer service plans.
Mine certainly does and whilst it doesn’t save me any money, it spreads the cost into monthly payments. As calnorth says, that then gets you free RAC cover
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

QaiFan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:49 am @calnorth. I had several Mazda cars (and Toyota, Volvo ...) past decades (626 / 6).
Never had problems with those cars.
Manual Transmissions were sheer perfection.
Guess you were unlucky !
If (big IF) my new J12 QQ proves just as reliable as Mazda / Toyota then I won't even need any warranty ... but indeed ... (car) electronics are now everywhere.
Those 3 years of Nissan warranty *might* prove wellcome indeed !
I'm of the VW rear engine vintage...not a lot to be said there but easy stuff and designed that way. Followed by BMW...again simple design despite the Prestige tag. Superb engineering.

It was my wifes good/simple 626 in 1984 that influenced me to buy a new 929 Limited in 1986. Also simple. The Limited thing about it was Mazda UK support. Never bought a new car again. I complained directly to Mazda Hiroshima...received a letter of "sorry sighs" and a Mazda Catalogue...go see Mazda UK. Circular stuff of course.

Anyway, its Batteries + Electric Motors with some sporty software and related hardware black boxes soon....yaaaay
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

1986 929 Limited Mazda : very 'American' looking car (meant to be sold there I guess).
At least you had a great almost full 360-look-around view in those cars ... no longer the case, not even in SUVs / QQ.
Dunno about the 929, but IMHO those 626 models were very reliable (quite some still drive around here).
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

QaiFan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:55 am 1986 929 Limited Mazda : very 'American' looking car (meant to be sold there I guess).
At least you had a great almost full 360-look-around view in those cars ... no longer the case, not even in SUVs / QQ.
Dunno about the 929, but IMHO those 626 models were very reliable (quite some still drive around here).
This was the saloon version sold everywhere, almost, except UK, so was LHD only. The Ford Sierra rust bucket blocked its sale here.

The 929 was bigger than the 626, after the demise of 929 the 626 replaced it in size.

A m8 of mine was in the Army in Germany and owned the same 929. He got me a 2nd hand gearbox from Holland...I drove over and swapped out mine for about £50 (then). Fortunately the military nearly always had a car club to hand...all major tools available on Army/RAF stations of course

Mazda UK was absolutely useless. Some cackle about a UK 2nd hand gearbox. That worried me because there were none...as above.

My son was in Jeddah just before the Kung Flu and said there was one parked near his Uber airport pick up. Not a surprise as the body was well protected (unlike Ford). Those cities have streets of what I called 1001 car workshops...so anything was possible as regards repair.

Exact model: (£9000 tax free at the time)
I note a lot of Toyota taxis are of this style in the Far East

Scre17.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

At least you can claim you once drove an "American-looking" car.
Still looks nice to me personally !
Although the 2.0 l engine (I had the exact same underpowered engine in my 626 cars) was not really up to the task of handling such heavy vehicles (at least not to my liking that is).
But at least you could not blow(n) it up ... it was to lazy to allow for it.
My latest 1.8 Mazda 6 is/was even worse though ... that 1.8 126 BHP engine did not accelerate the -rather big and heavy- car at it should (even small 1.0 liter cars were quite a bit faster in acceleration).
But nevertheless ... the Mazda underpowered engines could last a lifetime ... something we can't (always) expect from those 1.2 l blown engines !