New QQ J12 : navigation is starting ... slow, even hangs

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Maybe someone knows why following may happen :?: ...

Sometimes when I start the car, instead of seeing the map, I get a white message on a black (infotainment) screen : " Navigation is starting (up)"
It may only take a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes and sometimes it hangs and I have to stop the engine, wait and restart.
I have the "Premium Traffic" option set to ON.
Is the (navigation-)map (-system) maybe somehow updating (the map) or is this maybe a infotainment Firmware issue ??

Thank you for any feedback on this !

QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

I would take it back to the dealer as it is under warranty; sounds like a possible software issue.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Yes Qashqaisilver, I know I should go back to the dealer.
I also have issues with motor management.
Problem is ... it is only occasionally and I doubt they can find anything is the car performs as it should when they can see for themselves.
I was thinking if others have similar issues with the J12 then I could refer to that ... otherwise ???
May also be region/country dependent (as you write ... software issue) what makes it even more troublesome.
Are there other J12 owner here that have issues with the navigation system booting slow ???
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I have experienced something similar, although not when I’m at home, it tends to happen occasionally when I’m out of the area. I just put it down to the Nissan SIM card/eSIM not getting a good signal, if that’s how it works? :?

It would be helpful if we knew what mobile network provider the Qashqai uses. My iPhone’s SIM uses Tesco (via O2) and gets a great signal as there is an O2 mobile phone transmitter not too far away. Five miles down the road, there is no mobile phone coverage whatsoever and sometimes I get a checkerboard display on the Nissan Connect screen when I’m using Apple Maps/CarPlay.

Has your Qashqai performed any over-the-air software/map updates? Mine had a Nissan Connect update last October (under 200MB) and a map/SatNav update of 1GB around Christmas time.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Sandgrounder I live not in the UK or Ireland, but continental Europe, so I am afraid that, in that way, it will be difficult to compare mobile network providers (smartphone), nor the Nissan services.
I did do a TomTom map-update (of my country) on the day I collected my car (about 4 weeks ago).
My car was parked in front of my garage.
The infotainment system most probably used the in-car MCU / eSim (?) I guess.
The map-update went fine that day (although very slow).
Later on, once every 3-4 days I get this problem that the in-car TomTom (not Android Auto) navigation system initially shows a message that it is not available and is still ... Booting I guess.
Unfortunatel it does not mention exactly what it is witing for ... so maybe the "Premuim Traffic" data to arrive and/or the map-data of the preferred area ???
The Map button on the navigation screen is also "greyed out" and once I leave the navigation screen I can't get back into it as long as 'start-up' (whatever it does) is not yet complete.
It may, of course, be some kind of software/firmware bug/glitch.
I am reluctant to drive it back to the dealership without knowing for sure this is only my car that exhibits this problem.
It may, however unlikely, be completely normal and maybe updating, whatever it does, takes a while !?
Sandgrounder, did you also, even if only once, get a similar informatory/warning message(s) of any kind at that time you "experienced something similar" ?
Thank you so much !
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I’ve not had/seen any messages at all saying the Navigation is Starting Up. 🤔

When I start the car, the Connect screen boots up with the Nissan logo, then I have to accept the Terms & Conditions by tapping “OK” on the screen. The TomTom map appears briefly before Apple CarPlay kicks in (after several seconds) and then CarPlay functionality takes over the complete running of the Connect system.

To get back to TomTom maps, when using Apple CarPlay, I have to press the physical MENU button under the Connect screen, then I have to press MAP. To return to Apple CarPlay, an icon appears in the bottom left-hand corner of the Connect touchscreen (there’s no physical button to press).

In doing the above, I haven’t seen any error messages or any lag/performance issues with TomTom maps or Apple Car Play 😕

Is the Car icon/symbol showing on your screen all the time (see below) which I think means it is communicating with Nissan and TomTom Live? I think that icon/symbol is hidden when using Apple CarPlay. :?

D89AFA72-4D49-4088-AB1C-2B6A6EEF49B2.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Sandgrounder, I have not paid attention to the symbol you are referring to (circled) ... thanks, I will have a look.
This starting/booting into TomTom maos had little to do with either Carplay or Android Auto, since my smartphone was not even connected (except for/over Bluetooth - for making phone calls).
The message you showed I got when updating the TomTom maps too, but that was not what I meant ... that message says "starting up navigation" and it may appear for seconds or even minutes !
Thank you for your advice.
ilkka

Post by ilkka »

Sometimes I also get the starting up navigation message on mine, it also sometimes takes some time to boot, where it only shows that Nissan logo. I think it started being slower after firmware update so maybe next update fixes the problems.
Current: Nissan Qashqai 2021 J12 1.3 MHEV 158 Xtronic 4WD Tekna+ (Magnetic Blue)
Previously: Nissan Qashqai 2008 J10 1.6 Acenta with glass roof
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Thanks ilkka, in fact that was what I expected... that this would not be an issue with only my particular car.
Maybe firmware update... Or infrequently... smaller automatic 'seamless' map syncing maybe???
I called the dealership but they claimed it was the first time they heard of this!
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Mine has done this a couple of times once at home and once in the middle of no mans land with no signal.

Hopefully a future s/w update will fix it.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021