J10 Sat Nav lost location

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
craig1965
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by craig1965 »

I've had my J10 for almost 3 months. It's a 2009 model. The last couple of weeks the sat nav has lost it's location on a couple of occasions. I managed to correct this by setting a destination as 'home' and luckily it quickly located itself and the problem resolved. However, since monday evening, it has totally lost it's bearings and is now thinking my car is about 5 miles out from where it actually is - and it is also on the wrong orientation ie I seem to be driving in the opposite direction to any destinations I put in. So I'm not actually getting near to a familiar waypoint for it to pick up its location. The map on the SD card is the original 2009 map.
Is this a common problem please? I cannot seem to find any way to reset the sat nav or location.
Thank you

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

No idea how to rectify this but might be worth noting that a new version is probably available on eBay. I have no way of knowing whether that would help, of course.
Hopefully someone more technically minded will fins your post fairly soon.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

i would get a new map card as yours is 12yrs out of date. and you should find it better to use. they can be found on ebay around £20...
eBay item number:114705203883
craig1965

Post by craig1965 »

Thank you all for your replies. I accessed the sub menu on the connect system (press and hold the set button whilst moving the right hand button quarter anti clockwise and then clockwise and back to anti clockwise. After looking in the various sub menus, I discovered that my sat nav could see 15 satelites, it was locked onto none. I also found a sub menu that read faults and one of them was the gps antenna. I don't know if this is relevant or even how or why the gps antenna has a fault.
I have provisionally booked it in to my local nissan dealership in January for them to investigate (along with an intermittent noise from the main heater motor - sounds like it's catching on something intermittantly, and a weird cruise control issue which intermittently deactivates the cruise control when I activate the left hand indicator). The car is still covered to some degree by the warranty that came with it when I bought it 3 months ago. I am going to get an updated map after xmas and try that and hope that works but I have a feeling the fault is more GPS related. Any thoughts would be appreciated but thank you all for your views and advice above.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

craig1965 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:58 pm Thank you all for your replies. I accessed the sub menu on the connect system (press and hold the set button whilst moving the right hand button quarter anti clockwise and then clockwise and back to anti clockwise. After looking in the various sub menus, I discovered that my sat nav could see 15 satelites, it was locked onto none. I also found a sub menu that read faults and one of them was the gps antenna. I don't know if this is relevant or even how or why the gps antenna has a fault.
I have provisionally booked it in to my local nissan dealership in January for them to investigate (along with an intermittent noise from the main heater motor - sounds like it's catching on something intermittantly, and a weird cruise control issue which intermittently deactivates the cruise control when I activate the left hand indicator). The car is still covered to some degree by the warranty that came with it when I bought it 3 months ago. I am going to get an updated map after xmas and try that and hope that works but I have a feeling the fault is more GPS related. Any thoughts would be appreciated but thank you all for your views and advice above.

The acquisition you mention is the different Global Sats the GPS receiver picks up in our hemisphere. The GPS needs 3 or 4 for successful positional tracking and calculation. So really the antenna seems to be doing the job...whether reliably with the receiver or not is another thing? The GPS system is run by the US DoD.

I was going to say try to factory reset the headunit. Its in those menus you mention...I think? It'll default all your settings.

Those heater units tend to be a bit clunky IMO..Motor rattle I think?

The steering wheel controls issue is likely the spiral or clock cable in the column.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
conrail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by conrail »

"I seem to be driving in the opposite direction " is the a little symbol on the bottom left, two triangles, one red, one above the other in a diamond shape? if so tap on that it should sort out your orienteering problem, hope this helps
craig1965

Post by craig1965 »

Thank you all again for your replies. They are very much appreciated. My Sat nag has just an hour ago decided to establish it's correct location for reasons I do not know. I was driving along, it was absolutely miles out, and then some berk in a BMW puled out and I used my horn briefly. Upon using my horn, the sat nag then almost instantly locked onto satellites and is now working correctly. I am open to any degree of explanation as to how that has rectified itself.
I had a saab prior to owning this quashqai and I thought saabs had their quirks (mine had more than the depth of my pockets) but this little quashqai is just throwing up little issues. The latest I have just discovered is that the front passenger window switch doesn't work making to window come down, but it works making it go up, but the drivers side switch makes the passenger window go down and up. I'm still thinking electrical issue but this window fault could be a switch issue. Thankfully I am still covered by the warranty on the car when I bought it and so I will happily let the garage technicians replace any componants that need replacing.
I do love this car but my goodness it's testing my patience at the moment.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Its a car of "some" age so I'd expect a bit of bother...electrical for starters
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta