Peeling off coating.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Plumbob
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Plumbob »

I've noticed that the plastic coating on my passenger door handle and window switch has started to peel off ( 2016 car). Is this a common problem? It looks like I'll have to replace the whole unit to sort it.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Plumbob, we are on our 5th Nissan and have never seen this type of problem on any of the vehicles. I believe it is all down to the surface treatment before the Chrome is applied to prevent any reactions. As you mentioned to get things looking right again you will most likely have to fork out for new parts as repaired will never look correct. I found this comment which might be of interest - Dave 😉

What is the reason why the plating peeling occurs ?
The reasons of plating peeling occurrence are mainly two. One is that peeling occurs caused by the deterioration of the adherence between plating layer and base metal due to the insufficient base material pre-treatment before the plating processing. Another is that it occurs by the corrosion of base metal caused by the penetration of corrosive substance into the space between base metal and plating layer. As for the latter reason, it is likely to occur in such products to which the chrome plating is directly processed to the base metal. The reason is that the chrome plating has minute cracks in itself and through the cracks some corrosive substance can penetrate and reach the base metal. One of the recommendable measures to prevent the occurrence of peeling is to strike nickel plating in-between base metal and chrome plating to gain crackles plating surface.

How do you fix a peeling car door handle? : https://conklinfangmanbuickgmckc.com/be ... andle.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Plumbob

Post by Plumbob »

Thanks for the in depth reply but I actually meant the plastic surface of the handle and window switch. It's like the thin top coating is lifting.Thanks.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Plumbob, unless I totally misunderstood your problem that is what I posted on, “Peeling” causes and reaction or have I got it completely wrong. Perhaps a Pic might help to understand your problem - Dave 🥴
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Plumbob

Post by Plumbob »

Image This is what I mean ( if the pic appears.

IMG_20210906_181704.jpg

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Plumbob, after looking at the Pic it appears it is not the “Plating” that is coming Off it looks like the Vinyl Covering is Blistering which may we’ll be difficult to repair. The possibility is to try to remove the Part Assembly and replace with new or 2nd Hand or contact a Shop that applies Vinyl Foil Wrap to Cars. It is a small job but it may cost just as much as new - Dave 😉
Plumbob

Post by Plumbob »

Yes, that's what I thought. Looks like some sort of chemical reaction. Due to the lack of response it would seem it's not a common problem. Might have to interrogate Mrs p.
TomScott40
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by TomScott40 »

I know this problem. If you often touch the surface with dirty or greasy fingers, this happens. Now no product helps anymore. You can only try that it does not get worse or replace the parts and seal the next time before. I always use this product: https://nano-care.com/ceramic-coatings/
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)