Ceramic coating

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Stevie G
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Stevie G »

Hi all, does anyone know a company in the midlands or north west who do ceramic coating. Need recommendations. Thanks.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Stevie, the Guy with the knowledge on “Detailing” is the “malvern_man” and I am sure he will answer. Take a look at the attachment : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11221&start=30

If you enter in “Search” - “Ceramic Coating” there are a few posts there with information ! - Dave 😉

To set you on your way some light reading : Vehicle Detailing | Ceramic Coating | New Protection
https://www.reepmidlands.com/ceramic-coating/
https://westmidlandscardetailing.co.uk/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Stevie G wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:27 am Hi all, does anyone know a company in the midlands or north west who do ceramic coating. Need recommendations. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Funny you should mention ceramic coatings. When I bought my QQ last year I had the Diamondbrite coating applied, in theory it's supposed to last for a good few years but in reality if you get over 12 months out of it your lucky. So I've been looking into getting my QQ ceramic coated. I found a Gyeon accredited car detailing company in Rugeley, they're called Staffordshire Car Care and the reviews about them are excellent. I've had a quote from them and I'm going to be booking my QQ in with them soon. I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few detailing firms that offer ceramic coatings, as the saying goes...Google is your friend.

Depends on where you are but Autobrite Direct at Stoke offer ceramic coating services and they've got an actual detailing supplies outlet you can buy your products from, either in person or online. I get my Magifoam snow foam and my Project 64 detailing spray and other items from them, I am a big Gyeon 'fan' as well and I've got quite a few of their products which I mainly have to buy online.

So, take a look at Staffordshire Car Care and Autobrite Direct to start with.

Regards, Chris.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Really ?????? :

How much does it cost to get your car ceramic coated?

Depending on the size and condition of your vehicle, the quality of ceramic coating you get, and assuming that you go to a well reputable detailer, get ready to spend anywhere from $1500 to $5750. The average well-used car will cost around $2,000 while a brand new car would cost around $1500.

EDIT - cheaper option - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 41220.html - £71.19
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Mine is Ceramic Coated ( Gyeon Duraflex ) and the total cost was £795 for a 5 year coating done by an accredited detailer, Clean Detail in Donny.

The main cost of that was the machine polishing which takes a couple of days to complete, then the application of the coating and curing which takes another couple of days.

One thing I will say is that Ceramic Coatings need looking after and if you don't have the time to do so then you are just wasting your money, decontamination is required as they can easily get clogged which kills the performance and don't get me started on water spotting which is a real pain to try and remove.

So, someone had better enjoy washing the car if they are going to get one...luckily I do.

This is what happens when you fall down the Gyeon Rabbit Hole, from which there is no escape...and this isn't everything.

IMG_2755-Gyeon.jpg

19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

gloucester wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 am Really ?????? :

How much does it cost to get your car ceramic coated?

Depending on the size and condition of your vehicle, the quality of ceramic coating you get, and assuming that you go to a well reputable detailer, get ready to spend anywhere from $1500 to $5750. The average well-used car will cost around $2,000 while a brand new car would cost around $1500.

EDIT - cheaper option - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 41220.html - £71.19

My quote was £667.00 below is a break down of what is included.

1 STAGE PAINT SURFACE PREPARATION TREATMENT
Total Paint Cleanse And Decontamination Treatment. Ferrous/Iron/Organic Fallout Removal. Full Vehicle Body/Arches/Door Shut Flush And Wash.
Solo Stage Machine Polish Treatment To Remove Minor Factory Defects, To Produce An Increased Gloss And Shine To The Paint. Alcohol Paint Preparation Wipe Down Prior To Ceramic OR PPF Installation.

GYEON Q² PURE CERAMIC PAINT COATING **2 YEAR DURABILITY RATED
Install Single-Layer Ceramic Q² PURE V2 Quartz Coating To ALL Painted Areas To Produce An
Extremely Hydrophobic And Durable Self-Cleaning Finish. Finally Cure Via Infrared Heat To Bond Painted Surfaces. **2 YEAR DURABILITY RATED

Q² RIM Wheel PROTECTION TREATMENT
Remove All Wheels, Remove Ferrous/Iron/Organic Fallout Removal, Polish Wheel Surfaces, Alcohol Wipe And Install Double-Layer Ceramic Q² RIM. Steam Clean Callipers And Install Double-Layer Si02 Q² RIM. Steam Clean Wheel Arch Liners And Install Single-Layer Si02 Q² TRIM. Assemble Wheels And Torque To Factory Settings.
Duration Varies Depending On Vehicle Usage.

Q² TRIM PLASTIC SURFACE PROTECTION
Install Single-Layer Q² TRIM To All Exterior Plastic Trim. Restores And Retains Original Factory Finish Permanently.

Q² LEATHER & Q² FABRIC PROTECTION TREATMENT
Total Interior Cleanse Treatment Of All Fabric And Leather Surfaces.
Prepare All Leather Material And Install Q² LEATHER SHIELD To All Leather Surfaces ( Does Not Effect The Appearance Characteristics ) . Advantages, Repels Dirt, Prevents Discoloration, Prevents Colour Transfer, Protects Against Liquids And UV-Rays.

The Meguiars Ceramic Bundle is good value but will only give you a few months protection, even less if you wash your car the wrong way.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

That's a good price, Mr Malvern...I have yet to find a bad Gyeon product.

I was going to say that once the coating has been applied and fully cured to keep on top of it, but as a fellow Detailing World member I know that you will.
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Weasel wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:14 pm Mine is Ceramic Coated ( Gyeon Duraflex ) and the total cost was £795 for a 5 year coating done by an accredited detailer, Clean Detail in Donny.

The main cost of that was the machine polishing which takes a couple of days to complete, then the application of the coating and curing which takes another couple of days.

One thing I will say is that Ceramic Coatings need looking after and if you don't have the time to do so then you are just wasting your money, decontamination is required as they can easily get clogged which kills the performance and don't get me started on water spotting which is a real pain to try and remove.

So, someone had better enjoy washing the car if they are going to get one...luckily I do.

This is what happens when you fall down the Gyeon Rabbit Hole, from which there is no escape...and this isn't everything.

IMG_2755-Gyeon.jpg

I've already fallen down that Gyeon rabbit hole :lol:

As for water spotting I give my QQ a final rinse with deionised water then dry. I've got a BigBoi BlowR Mini+ dryer but I've not tried it out yet.

I've got another Gyeon order going in very soon, Gyeon wash mitt and a couple of their silk drying towels plus maybe a few more items.

I never realised you were a Detailing World member too.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Yeah, was a member for 5/6 years when I had the old X-Trail and then rejoined when I got the Qash in 2019.

Gyeon wash mitts are great ( recently bought another ) and SilkDryers are also very good, as you can imagine I have a few of each.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Stevie.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Chris / Weasel, I was seriously thinking of getting a quote from a Shop in Berlin, but the post info’ from Gloucester on the costs just blew that away. Just as an example a couple of shops here are offering similar costs but much lower. I have no doubt that there are Good & Bad Shops doing this treatment with different Hardnesses & Year guarantees and therefore a resultant price difference.

5BA36280-83F9-4C3D-A108-75FA3C5FCDCA.jpeg

So basically I am not sure whether to ask or just carry on with my existing method and just enjoy the hand work and stand back and look at the finished result.
A very interesting post as well - Dave 👍

“A ceramic coating offers a lot of benefits. The car gets a long-lasting protective layer that makes the paint less scratch sensitive. In addition, the glass coating makes it easier to wash, protects it from contamination, acids and UV radiation. And even though a good ceramic coating is not as hard as diamond, it gives at least the same gloss.”
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken