Auto or not?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Doogle
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Doogle »

Hi looking at getting a 2020-2021 Tekna, Tekna+ or N-Connecta, dependent on price and condition mileage etc, could be a J11 or 12 again dependent on the above.
My question is would I be better sticking with a manual transmission or I quite fancy an auto as I’ve never had one, but tbh there seems to be a lot of negative comments and press around Nissans “CVT” transmission, I’d just like some comments from both sides good and bad, is the CVT really that unreliable over time?

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

The J11 in your range has the fabulous DCT gearbox.
Mine is the first auto I have owned and I’m absolutely delighted. Far superior to the previous (hire) cars I have driven with auto boxes.

The J12 - has an all new auto box, as I’m sure you know and it’s expected to be a completely different beast than the previous offering. Someone with more information on the gearbox will be along, I’m sure.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I had a 1.2 CVT N Connecta for nearly three years, but when I read about the problems that some people had, especially in the USA, I got a little apprehensive as it approached the out of guarantee time of three years. It was a nice car and I was pleased with it, not really wanting to part with it. Anyway I decided to shop around, using Carwow and was offered a marvellous deal at our local Main Dealer who beat the Carwow deal. As we drove out of the Dealership onto the dual carriageway I put my foot down gently as I normally did and it nearly took off like a rocket, pushing us back into the seats. What a difference it was and noticeably so. I love it more than the previous one and prefer the DCT autobox. We also get better mpg.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

Thanks for this, so the late model J11 isnt “CVT” it’s “DCT”?
What is this compared to the “CVT” I keep hearing horror stories about?
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

CVT - continuously variable transmission
DCT - dual clutch technology (It’s a gearbox with 7 actual gears)
https://www.westwaynissan.co.uk/news/du ... -explained

The gearbox on the J12 is called a CVT but has a different setup and mode of operation to the previous version
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Doogle, we have the New DCT in a J11B Tekna + and Love it. I have always been a Manual man except for the Florida holidays but this box is very smooth and fast and still very impressed.
Yes the OLD Nissan CVT had a load of Bad Press especially in the US where it got very involved with Court Cases and finally a 10 Year Guarantee. Nissan EU also went through it’s problems. Apparently the J12 has this new CVT which has been around in the US for some time. I have driven both and found the new CVT Box very smooth and it is a different Animal. Please see the attached but there is lots of information under „Search“ if you want to dig in.
As always there are the Negatives but also the Positives but at the end of the day the decision is yours - Dave 😉

Here are a couple of posts worth a read - I hope they help you !
DCT :
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10346
The US CVT but the same principles :
https://www.nissanusa.com/experience-ni ... ssion.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

If you would like Auto as well as the J12 then, imho, the best thing would be the 2020 full hybrid model that has no xtronic anymore since the electric motor drives the wheels.
It supposedly will also allow one pedal driving like the Nissan Note does. Since if you order today you might not get the j12 anyway before early 2022... why not wait a bit longer for that Diesel alternative option!?
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

Thanks very much for the replies folks, have to admit I like the sound of the DCT and I do like the styling of the J11despite the newer J12, as much as I like the new J12 I wonder about the sheer amount of electronic trickery, just more to go wrong😉
Kestrelkid

Post by Kestrelkid »

I HAVE A 2019 QASHQAI N CONNECTER WITH AN AUTO BOX, IT IS VERY SMOOTH AND QUICK CHANGING AND YOU CAN USE IT AS A MANUAL BY PULLING THE SELECTER TOWARDS THE DRIVERS SIDE IT JUST REQUIRES A SMALL PUSH FORWARDS TO CHANGE UP AND BACKWARDS TO CHANGE DOWN, CHANGES ARE QUICK AND SMOOTH, BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER TO CHANGE DOWN WHEN COMING TO A STOP, EASILY FORGOTTEN AS I USUALLY DRIVE IN AUTO MODE.
Doogle

Post by Doogle »

:) Cheers @Kestrelkid