Display staying on

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
WhiteArmy90
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by WhiteArmy90 »

I have a 2015 Tekna. I've had it about 6 weeks and been fine up until tonight.

I've just driven 300 miles and when I've parked up and put the handbrake on the Amber warning light has come on. Then when I lock the car the display stays on. It's been on for approx 30 minutes now. Please help?!?!?

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

The handbrake should engage automatically - there would be no need to "put it on". (Update - see posting below)

Have you tried going for a short 2 minute drive and reparking?
Last edited by gloucester on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Gloucester - on both my 2017 (manual) and 2019 (automatic) I have had to pull up the toggle switch to engage the handbrake.
I'm aware that some cars have automatic handbrakes (was it a Tekna extra on the manual ?) but neither of mine have.

I wish I could help with the question
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
PDH

Post by PDH »

I have a 15 plate Tekna, handbrake comes on automatically when you stop the engine. Yes you can do it manually by why would you, possibly only if you stop and leave the engine running.

Check whether it does engage automatically. If it doesn't then there could be an issue or a setting? Not sure if there is a handbrake setting in all the options but take a look.

P
2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.5 Dci
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

MikeGC wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:12 am
Gloucester - on both my 2017 (manual) and 2019 (automatic) I have had to pull up the toggle switch to engage the handbrake.
I'm aware that some cars have automatic handbrakes (was it a Tekna extra on the manual ?) but neither of mine have.

Really? The automatic handbrake is standard on all J11 and J11Bs. It was never an extra.

CORRECTION - it's standard on the Manual and a dealer-activated option on the CVT - from the 2014 manual:

The electric parking brake also has an auto apply and auto release function.

Manual transmission vehicles:

• Vehicle with key ignition switch:
The parking brake will automatically release when you drive away using the accelerator, and will automatically apply when the ignition switch is placed in the OFF position.

• Vehicle with push-button ignition switch:
The parking brake will automatically release when you drive away using the accelerator, and will automatically apply when you switch the engine off.

XTRONIC transmission vehicles:

The parking brake does not apply automatically. If applied manually, the parking brake will automatically release when you press the accelerator with the shift lever in Drive (D) or Reverse (R), provided:

• The driver is wearing a seat belt, or
• The driver accelerates away within 5 seconds of shifting from Park (P) or Neutral (N) to Drive (D) or Reverse (R).

If you have tried to start driving the vehicle while not wearing a seat belt, you will need to put on your seat belt and place the shift lever in Drive (D) or Reverse (R) again before the parking brake will release automatically.

If you have a vehicle with XTRONIC Transmission, and you require automatic parking brake application, please contact a NISSAN dealer.

Well that's news!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

From the 2019 J11B manual:

The electric parking brake also has an auto apply and auto release function.

Manual transmission vehicles:
The parking brake will automatically release when you drive away using the accelerator.

With the vehicle stationary, the electronic parking brake is automatically applied when the engine is turned off using the ignition switch.

Automatic (DCT) and Xtronic transmission vehicles:
The parking brake does not apply automatically. If applied manually, the parking brake will automatically release when you press the accelerator with the shift lever in D (Drive) or R (Reverse), provided:
• The driver is wearing a seat belt, or
• The driver accelerates away within 5 seconds of shifting fromP (Park) or N (Neutral) to D (Drive) or R (Reverse).

If you have tried to start driving the vehicle while not wearing a seat belt, you will need to put on your seat belt and place the shift lever in D (Drive) or R (Reverse) again before the parking brake will release automatically.

If you have a vehicle with Automatic (DCT) or Xtronic Transmission, and you require automatic parking brake application, please contact a NISSAN dealer or qualified workshop.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Well I wonder if my 2017 did have then - I’m too old school and apply the handbrake as I stop and before turning off the engine
Add to that the fact that my drive was quite steep - no room for error
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)