Stop Start issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Lollie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Lollie »

Hi, I see this question has been asked before however I can't seem to find the route of my problem. My battery died and has just been replaced at the garage however, I need some help. I keep getting the message stop/start system fault appear with the auto symbol flashing. I have managed to clear the warning message but auto is still flashing. Most posts seem to indicate that replacing the battery will clear this issue but it has not. The stop start button does not seem to do anything either? It does not light up, and I'm sure it did previously, although I could be wrong!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Certain conditions may prevent Stop/Start working and related to your battery change.

1. A battery other than the stop/start system-specific battery is used.

2. To use the stop/start system, the vehicle needs to recognize the status of battery. For this reason, the stop/
start system may not be activated immediately after battery change.

The new Battery may not be to the specification required by your car. Certain parameters are sensed...discharge etc. Items 1 & 2 above apply.

The vehicle needs to be checked for error codes (DTCs) to accurately identify the problem.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Was the battery fitted at a Nissan garage?

Do you know what battery has been fitted?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Lollie

Post by Lollie »

calnorth wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:33 am Certain conditions may prevent Stop/Start working and related to your battery change.

2. To use the stop/start system, the vehicle needs to recognize the status of battery. For this reason, the stop/

The new Battery may not be to the specification required by your car. Certain parameters are sensed...discharge etc. Items 1 & 2 above apply.

The vehicle needs to be checked for error codes (DTCs) to accurately identify the problem.
Thank you for your reply. The battery was replaced by my local garage who sourced the best battery for the job. I will pop in for a chat and ask them to check for error codes.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Lollie

Post by Lollie »

gloucester wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:42 am Welcome to this forum

Was the battery fitted at a Nissan garage?

Do you know what battery has been fitted?
Thank you Gloucester.

The battery was fitted by my local garage who I have always found to be very reliable and helpful. I'm afraid I don't know what battery was fitted but I believe they would have sourced one up to the task and for stop/start.

As suggested in another post, I will ask the garage to check for any error codes.

Thanks for your post.
Lollie

Post by Lollie »

calnorth wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:33 am Certain conditions may prevent Stop/Start working and related to your battery change.

Hi calnorth, I forgot to ask, when you say the stop/start may not start immediately after a battery replacement, do you think the flashing auto light could rectify itself over time and if so, on what sort of timescale? Is it perhaps a case of the system having to learn that the battery is new? Sorry if I am being a bit dim (unlike the flashing auto light on the dash!!). I'm new to having a car with stop/start functionality.

Thanks again.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

From what I can remember the Battery is monitored as regards discharge and charging. Diagnostics doesn't give the number of times this is done, starts and running cycles. I suggest it must meet specific values (constants) pretty quick. Until then Start/Stop cannot be enabled because the Battery isn't confirmed as adequate? May fail Auto Stop/Start on the road....... :oops:

Also, a new battery is registered to the car, such that old monitored history is deleted/reset. As I understand it the age/behaviour of the Battery is tracked and charging for instance is adjusted for age. I have seen the RAC configure the system on my warranty Batt change. The Battery fitted was a VARTA AGM SS type which is dead right for the car.

I could well do without the SS nonsense actually.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Lollie

Post by Lollie »

Thanks for your further comments calnorth. When I speak to the garage I will show them the comments yourself and Gloucester have made.

I will update when I have any information.

Fingers crossed 🤞
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Lollie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:14 pm Thanks for your further comments calnorth. When I speak to the garage I will show them the comments yourself and Gloucester have made.

I will update when I have any information.

Fingers crossed 🤞
SS can drop out (fail with warnings) for a number of reasons....Battery, ABS, Body Control and Fuelling (Exhaust commonly). All safety and emissions related.

Yes...we'd like to know the outcome.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Lollie

Post by Lollie »

Hi calnorth and Gloucester. Been to the garage and it was just a break down in communication with their guys, they had forgotten to check and clear the error code. A few minutes with the reader plugged in, it was cleared. Had it out for a run yesterday and the stop start is working nicely.

Thanks for all your suggestions, very helpful indeed.