New 2021 4wd and gearbox options - Nissan got it WRONG

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gabell

Post by gabell »

Am I the only one who thinks Nissan has got it wrong with the 4wd/auto combination....

1. You can only get 4wd with an auto box, no MANUAL..

2. The auto is a horrible CVT....... seems Nissan, Ford, Hyundai, Kia are all going the CVT route, presumably for cheapness.....
These are noisy when you put you foot down and groan at a constant rpm, giving the impression of you not getting anywhere fast.....

3. To strangle the 4wd with an elastic band is a big mistake for me, just try and mount a kerb from stationary and see what happens, now just think of what it's going to be like offroad....

So for me, although the qashqai looks awesome, it's a big no-no for me.....
They should have either gave you the option of a manual 4wd, or a DSG/DCT like Mercedes have done with exactly the same engine from Renault....

Sorry Nissan...... Big mistake

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

gabell wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:17 pm
2. The auto is a horrible CVT....... seems Nissan, Ford, Hyundai, Kia are all going the CVT route, presumably for cheapness.....
These are noisy when you put you foot down and groan at a constant rpm, giving the impression of you not getting anywhere fast.....

You clearly don't understand what a stepped CVT like Nissan uses is like.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gabell

Post by gabell »

A Stepped CVT is Nissans way of trying to convince people that it's just like any other automatic box and to try and hide the huge criticism of CVT's......
I will admit CVT has one advantage, and that's efficiency, they set the engine rpm to the highest torque/power when pushed hard..... The stepped CVT negates this but gives the impression of gears...
My criticism as a whole, a CVT as the only option in a 4WD is valid.
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

@gabell. I, personally, think your remarks are valid.
But, OTOH and AFAIK this type of luxury 'SUV/crossover' is a family car.
Nissan probably knows its customer base and it may not be same as BMW or the like.
I have driven several automatic transmission type (rental) cars and none made me feel ... wow, not even true SUVs with *lots* of HP, 4L engines etc.
BTW the 'groan' you talk about is wat I miss most in those automatic cars.
But that probably doesn not matter to most people here (?).
I do know that there are people in this forum who are from the northern countries where 4WD is important ... maybe those (Nissan) drivers have a far better idea about 4WD with an automatic transmission ... than me anyway !?
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

I have test driven the new QQ with the 2 WD auto gearbox - it didnt leave me feeling very confident at roundabouts for a quick pull away - thats why i went for the 150 manual a much better option
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gabell, I think you will find you are referring to the Old Jafco / Nissan Design CVT Gearbox. There has been a lot of critical comments on the this CVT quite rightly with the problems mainly experienced in the US.
Have you driven the New J12 or even looked at a New QQ before making your comments ?
The New J12 does NOT have this Box you mention it has a new CVT X-Tronic D-Type which has a no „Rubber Band“ effect. Most people have their opinions on the CVT, we have the DCT at present but I found the 160PS CVT last week to be quick, quite, kick down, overtaking and as smooth as our DCT, but I must admit I have only ever driven US Rogue / Pathfinder Nissan CVT’s before.

I tried to explain the CVT on the post below if you interested to understand the differences - Dave 😉

“The New QQ J12 2021 is apparently equipped with a New Xtronic Automatic Transmission. The upgrade includes the installation of New Double Oil Pumps (electrical and mechanical) and with the New D-Step technology is faster than it was in the previous generation QQ.”

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10811
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken