Nissan Leaf

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Had my car in for gearbox oil change last week and was given a new Nissan Leaf to drive for the day. I must admit it was better than I thought, quick off the mark and very quiet. However, to me it was not a practical every day car. When I picked it up it was on charge and the battery indicator inside showed a full charge, but, range 150 miles only, not good.

It would make a great town car, but for everyday use, holidays etc totally inadequate range. I also wondered how long the batteries would last if just parked up. For example, drive to the airport go on holiday for 2 weeks how much charge would it loose?

So to me, owning an electric car would necessitate owning 2 cars which would seem to defeat the object. The other thing of course, company cars or the use of private cars for company business would probably require cars with at least 350 - 400 mile range. I was a surveyor in my past working life which required me to travel anywhere from Manchester in the north to Gatwick in the east, the whole of South Wales and South West, no way could I have carried out my duties with an electric car with only 150 mile range.

They intend to stop production of all IC engines by 2030, battery powered cars need to take a massive leap forward for this to happen, and as for commercial vehicles, well who knows?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

My partner has a Leaf (40kw) and as you say it’s pretty much a town car.
We do visit her sons who are about 20 miles away (albeit in different directions) and her sisters (30 odd miles away) and my sister (about 50 miles away) in the car. Sadly, places like Anglesey are just too far with the uncertainty of getting a charge.
There are roughly 30 charge points within 5 miles of our house and a couple of them are fast chargers and fill the battery in an hour or less. That’s a mile from home and there’s no cost for the charge.

She is considering changing to a 62kw Leaf (250 mile range) which would put Cornwall within two battery charges - instantly more useful

Note:-
The range varies with ambient temperature.
The current car is more like 135 miles with the heater or air con running.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
conrail

Post by conrail »

no good to me, I often travle from the north east england to glasgow, 200 miles each way, and often return at night so less mileage as lights and possibly wipers on, and the only charging points are at gretna services and they are telsa so no idea if they would be compatible
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

conrail wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 pm no good to me, I often travle from the north east england to glasgow, 200 miles each way, and often return at night so less mileage as lights and possibly wipers on, and the only charging points are at gretna services and they are telsa so no idea if they would be compatible
Apparently they will fit, the only thing difference for Tesla owners is they have an adaptor for fast charge but all chargers are the usual 7pin type which does seem sensible.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
conrail

Post by conrail »

thank you Qashowner, often wondered if they were compatible and if not would there be a standard