Brother in law got lucky.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Two weeks ago my Brother in law purchased a three year old (68) QQ from a well known large UK car 'Supermarket'
Admittedly he doesn't know much about cars and purchased it very quickly. I advised him to arrange a full extended warranty preferably with Nissan. The car was booked in with a Dealership in Glasgow for a free health check inspection before Nissan would allow him to purchase the warranty. I bought him a few goodies for his new car off FleaBay and I called over last week to fit the Bosch windscreen wipers. It was the first time that I had seen the car, at first glance it looked like any three year old car, then noticed this

20210606_134820.jpg

The front offside wing was extremely badly fitted, huge gap as can be seen in the photo, so large you can put your finger tip through the gap?
Bonnet is also way, way out of alignment to a degree that it is hard to both open and close in a proper manner.

20210606_142324.jpg

My alarm bells started to ring. Front offside tyre has also been replaced with what I can only assume to be a cheap unbranded tyre, not even a name on it just the usual size numbering etc? Also noticed that his offside DRL wasn't functional. I advised that he should contact the seller and have it looked at straight away.
He also recieved a Video and the report from Nissan. Both front tyres within tread depth limit but suffering from excessive wear on both inner and outer edges with cracks present. Both sump and timing chain cover both leaking a large amount of oil, both rear brake discs highly corroded and rear brake pads worn to a degree that is would be and MOT failure. All the above were flagged as issues that require immediate attention. A few other issues but these are wear and tear and just put down as a six month re-check on the report.
This report was fired off immediately to the seller with an email.
From what Nissan have discussed with him and what I initially assumed it appears that the car may have had a slight accident/knock to the front offside especially around the wheel.
I'm giving the selling 'Supermarket' praise as they have offered to replace the car for a like for like QQ, same colour, a few hundred less miles and just over £1000 more than the one that is being returned. They have been extremely apologetic and expressed all the help that they could have to get this issue sorted.
Hopefully when this one arrives from one of their sites in England later this week I can get over and help him go around this one with a fine toothed comb 👍 this new one will also be going to Nissan for the inspection, and hopefully just the odd age related issue will be present.
I think he has had a very lucky escape with this purchase. I know that there is a moral to this story but unfortunately not every car buyer is a savvy as some when it comes to knowing what to look for when buying.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)

QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Dunno whether you should praise those people!
Quite obvious what might have happened to that car!
They try and if it sticks...
Can happen to most buyers though... If they want car dealers can easily hide severe shortcomings, especially engine related. Happened to me once too when I was young.
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Yes, perhaps praise was the wrong word. In all fairness, both he and I were expecting a long uphill struggle to either get his car issues rectified under his three month warranty or a possible full refund, both pleasantly surprised when with just his initial contact they offered an exchange of vehicle and offered him the choice of several from their stock. I find it refreshing for a change to find a seller willing to really help out the buyer.
But, the car should really not have been up for sale with these issues to start with.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)