Portable Jump Starter-good or not?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
rms3205
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by rms3205 »

Has anyone used one of these, or similar, when you managed to flatten your battery on a QQ?

I bought this one after managing to flatten the battery of my previous motor, Seat Ateca. Friend came to the rescue and got me going.

But. For about another 50 miles the onboard computer went weird, telling me I was getting 1/2 a mile to the gallon, cruise control went haywire. It all eventually settled down and got back to normal after about a dozen engine re-starts.

Anyone had similar problems with the QQ??

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.55.31 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.55.14 am.png

2016 1.5cdi Tekna in red (wife picked the colour) No upgrades apart from a couple of brushed steel sticky on bits for some switches/vents.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

That device has two safety markings on it that I would dispute.... CE and FCC. You would wish to see what CE procedure has been carried out by accompanying documentation/links and FCC (USA) is irrelevant to EU/UK. Nothing therefore is easily traceable particularly the manufacturer and seller in China.

I cannot see BSI on it and would expect anything else marked on it to be false. Pretending to be compliant.

Frankly I wouldn't stick that across a discharged car battery
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

AA man told me last summer not to risk using one of these when I asked him. The QQ has too much tech on it and a slight mistake could be very expensive.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
chosan

Post by chosan »

Geordieman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:36 pm AA man told me last summer not to risk using one of these when I asked him. The QQ has too much tech on it and a slight mistake could be very expensive.
I would appreciate if you could explain " slight mistake". I've a Chinese one and I've been using several times without any problems. Connecting a lithium battery across a battery shouldn't pose a problem as long as it is a sealed battery like in the Qashqai.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The essence here is the current delivery to crank a 1/2 HP starter motor on a cold morning...as a worse case. About 800 Amps peak and 80 Amps continuous.

These devices are of two types and i cannot imagine for the life of me why Lithium Batteries would be near starter motors. They aren't for EVs for example.

The other type is a high current discharge via a special capacitor.

The incorporation of safety devices to stop the batteries over heating is another issue...likewise capacitors. Plus the safe working ratings of all components including jump cables. As with cabling in your house. These batteries took a freight aircraft down in the M. East some years back. They weren't connected to anything it was thought...being freight.

If at anytime during the use of one of these devices a larger voltage is generated (thats short duration), you may find that some of the electronics in the car has protested...and died. A 12v lead acid type car battery won't do that, nor one in parallel, or hooked up to another car. They have the option to explode though...unlikely.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:27 pm
If at anytime during the use of one of these devices a larger voltage is generated (thats short duration), you may find that some of the electronics in the car has protested...and died. A 12v lead acid type car battery won't do that, nor one in parallel, or hooked up to another car. They have the option to explode though...unlikely.
How can a 14volt battery generate a higher voltage? If you can have that happen you're up for a Nobel price. I'm not talking about the capacitor-version since that's different story.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

chosan wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:44 pm
How can a 14volt battery generate a higher voltage? If you can have that happen you're up for a Nobel price. I'm not talking about the capacitor-version since that's different story.
Do you know how the 14v battery (series/parallel config?) is being charged? From what source?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chosan

Post by chosan »

calnorth wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:51 pm
Do you know how the 14v battery (series/parallel config?) is being charged? From what source?
I would appreciate if you could answer my question.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

chosan wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 pm
calnorth wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:51 pm

I would appreciate if you could answer my question.
A standalone Battery won't generate higher volts and being a storage device.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Not used that particular type, but have used the Clarke offering, it is not a jump starter as such, you connect it to your battery and leave it for 5-10 minutes to charge your battery then start the car. Not had any problems yet.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.