Rattle from passenger side on dash on startup

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Gary-Dublin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Gary-Dublin »

Hi all,

I have a 67 plate J11 Qashqai. When I first start the car, there is a rattle coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. It sounds like its coming from the passenger air vent, it sounds like plastic rattling. Needless to say, it's driving me mad at this stage. The rattle goes away when the car heats up, it only rattles at the beginning when I start the car, especially bad on cold mornings.

It has been back to Nissan under warranty 5 times, they couldn't find the problem. Each time telling me they tightened some parts, without the problem ever being fixed! The rattle is in the car while cold, the car has warmed up by the time I get to the Nissan garage, so when one of their mechanics came out for a drive in the car with me, the noise wasn't there.

Has anyone else had this problem and got it solved? Thanks in advance for any replies.

rms3205
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by rms3205 »

I was a newbie on here 2 months ago, with exactly the same problem.....turned out to be the air filter feed pipe for want of a better word....well covered on here. Couple of zip ties later, blissful silence! Get under the bonnet and see if there is any movement with your air filter boxes.
Air Intake.pdf
(538.12 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by rms3205 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 1.5cdi Tekna in red (wife picked the colour) No upgrades apart from a couple of brushed steel sticky on bits for some switches/vents.
RRR

Post by RRR »

I had the same thing with my 2019 QQ 1.6 dig.t. Dealer said it could be the timingchain, but this rattle sounded like a 'plastic' rattle. Dealer couldn't find the cause, but I found out that it was the airfilterhousing. It had a little play in the various connections. Put two screws in it and the rattle was gone. I only heard the rattle at cold starts with low outside temperatures. The plastic and rubber parts of the air intake system become stiffer, causing it to rattle. If you want to, I can take and post a few pictures of where I put the screws.
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Yes this would be helpful! I have this rattle as well, also on the passenger side which is de other side on my LHD car ofcourse. So not behind the airfilterhousing so to speak but to opposite side.
I do not have this rattle especially when the car is still could but on uneven roads there clearly is a annoying rattle coming from the airvent / A style area.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Gary-Dublin

Post by Gary-Dublin »

RRR wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm I had the same thing with my 2019 QQ 1.6 dig.t. Dealer said it could be the timingchain, but this rattle sounded like a 'plastic' rattle. Dealer couldn't find the cause, but I found out that it was the airfilterhousing. It had a little play in the various connections. Put two screws in it and the rattle was gone. I only heard the rattle at cold starts with low outside temperatures. The plastic and rubber parts of the air intake system become stiffer, causing it to rattle. If you want to, I can take and post a few pictures of where I put the screws.
Hi,

Yeah that would be brilliant if you could post the photos please. I will have a look around the air filter housing to check is there anything loose. Thanks
Gary-Dublin

Post by Gary-Dublin »

lapalmeraie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 am Yes this would be helpful! I have this rattle as well, also on the passenger side which is de other side on my LHD car ofcourse. So not behind the airfilterhousing so to speak but to opposite side.
I do not have this rattle especially when the car is still could but on uneven roads there clearly is a annoying rattle coming from the airvent / A style area.
Thats exactly the problem I am having too. It is bad on cold mornings, but when I went to the countryside along uneven roads, I was still have a slight rattle, albeit not as bad as when it first starts. It takes the joy out of driving the Qashqai, because it is such a comfortable car to drive apart from the annoying rattle.