Could a battery problem create problems when the car is running?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Ollie75
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Ollie75 »

Hi,

I have a 2018 Qashqai techna+ with a 1.6 petrol engine with a manual gear box. When I went to start it today all I got was a lot of clicking so I contact the Nissan Recovery who sent someone from CFMotoring to come and look at it. When he arrived he said that the battery was dead (I have had battery problems before with this car and know that there are various battery problems with the Qashqai in general). He eventually managed to get the car started but had to connect it to his own truck which he says he's not had to do for a long time as the main pack he uses is normally enough. He told me to run the car for about an hour to get some charge into it.

When I started off I got a 'Stop/Start Auto System fault' error message (other posts have linked this to the battery) but the main problem I faced was in the performance of the car. Initially the automatic brake wouldn't release by itself and I had to press the button. The car would then hardly move in lower gears only managing about 10mph in 1st and 20 mph in 2nd. In 3rd it started jolting a little but settled down. I took it down to a local industrial estate where the roads were quiet and ran it for the hour but the performance was still a problem. I managed to get it up to about 40 mph and the car wanted to go into 5th but I didn't push it any further. Luckily I managed to get the car home but the route home is on a lot of hills and the car wanted me to drop into 2nd as it wasn't happy in 3rd but I know that it won't go any faster in 2nd. After a few detours I got home but don't know what I need to do with the car.

Any ideas what this could be and what I need to do with it? Please don't get very technical as I won't understand what you mean! Does this need to go back to Nissan? Has anyone had this problem before? Could the performance be linked with the earlier battery problem?

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Since it's under warranty I'd certain get the dealer to look at it.

Do you have a battery charger you can use?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Ollie75

Post by Ollie75 »

gloucester wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:46 am Welcome to this forum.

Since it's under warranty I'd certain get the dealer to look at it.

Do you have a battery charger you can use?

Thanks for responding. I have just taken it out this morning to see if the problems are there and the car is absolutely fine. The 'warning' message has gone. The stop/start failure message has gone and the the car is happy to drive over 30 in second gear. I am hoping that this is all electrical related to the battery. The recovery guy suggested running it for a while and take it to somewhere like Kwik Fit to see if they would run a battery test. I think I will call the Nissan dealership tomorrow and see if they want to look at it. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for your post.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Seeing as though the car is still under warranty, I wonder why Nissan didn't send out an RAC chappy like they should have?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, in this instance an RAC mechanic would have tested your battery and if said battery was kaput then swapped it for a new one.

Maybe the RAC were just too busy?
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The car appears to have been in "Limp Home" mode? Usually as a result of an Engine Management detected fault state.

I'd say go straight to the Nissan dealer as @gloucester says. I am surprised that the RAC did not attend as thats what Nissan use. The RAC probably could have solved the problem right there and then...they see many Nissans with battery problems and they don't mess around with them.

Do we assume that the car is under warranty?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Ollie75

Post by Ollie75 »

The original text came from the RAC and that’s who came out the last time I used them but the next text came from CF. I’m guessing they sub contract when busy. The initial waiting time was over 5 hours but CF came out in 3. He said it was a really busy night. I’ll call Nissan when they open again tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Ollie75 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm The original text came from the RAC and that’s who came out the last time I used them but the next text came from CF. I’m guessing they sub contract when busy. The initial waiting time was over 5 hours but CF came out in 3. He said it was a really busy night. I’ll call Nissan when they open again tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.
When the RAC perform a Battery capacity test on visit, they cannot change the battery unless its at approx 50% production capacity. I have experienced that and 10 days later I had the RAC back again and on that capacity test the Battery was about 50% and at 2 yrs old. It was the well known and repetitive FIAMM battery problem from production. Battery changed for superior Varta AGM version almost in an instant after over the air Nissan approval.

Whether you have a Battery problem or something affecting it is not clear. What is clear though is a jump start didn't improve things and may latterly assisted the engine performance droop. I suspect the EMU detected either sensor/actuator faults and reigned the engine back to protect it. As such Nissan should check the error code history (DTCs) to determine what may have happened.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Ollie75

Post by Ollie75 »

Thanks. I’ll let you know what they say when they reopen.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

You should have RAC membership paid for by Nissan U.K.
If you have any more trouble, call them out.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)