Chip tuned box

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not cheap either at over £300

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

I had a Tunit box fitted to a BMW X5 and then a Range Rover. The same unit as they had the same 3litre engine fitted. It was not a success in either. A friend had one on a TD5 Discovery and the power was substantially raised once over 2000 revs but it came on like a switch and was horrible to drive.Then I had a remap done on a Q7 and it totally transformed the car. Absolutely fantastic. More power and torque and the transmission was far more responsive to throttle pedal input as well. Fuel economy actually did improve, but the engine did naturally improve anyway as the mileage increased. As suggested, do not rely on the dash readout for consumption figures because the nature of these modifications makes the computer think that it injects less fuel than it actually does.Choose an engine for mapping or chipping carefully. In my opinion the 1.5 Renault K9K as used in the Qashqai is at its highest state of factory tune and probably has little scope for more without producing more smoke and possibly running into premature mechanical issues.As said, if more performance is needed than given by the 1.5, the safest bet is to change the car for a more powerful or faster one.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

[quote="Beardyman"]]Can't help but wonder why Nissan choose not to do this from scratch[/QUOTE]]
Its because despite Nissans mega million budget for developing new cars a man in a shed with a laptop and a box of diodes can do a much better job. But if that were true surely Nissan would sack the R & D department and buy the man, shed and diodes.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Nissan produce an engine that they know will meet their design requirements, eco emissions and their customers need. Why make an engine that one in 100 or less may feel they would like to have. It's mass production for mass markets. No doubt a Nismo version will come long in due course for those who need one. The 1.5 engine is there to provide the most economical engine possible and it does the job very well.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
MarkStokes

Post by MarkStokes »

When I had my Audi TT remapped the guy told me that the manufactures have to satisfy a large region with their factory settings so they pick a good average for the American, European and British markets (and the rest).

So, what a car suits in one country is vastly different to another country.

A UK modder will pick settings that are most appropriate to UK roads.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

[quote="MarkStokes"]A UK modder will pick settings that are most appropriate to UK roads.[/QUOTE]
A road is a road, where in the world it is makes no difference, the car has no idea.The factory ECU will make adjustments for differences in atmosphere and altitude and to a certain extent the rating of the fuel. In some countries the base fuel is not as good as we get in Europe, the States is one example and the cars destined for there may possibly get different ignition settings. But since all cars have knock sensors adjustments would be made automatically whatever base settings and fuel were used.Back in the 80's I had a Golf GTi. VW recommended super unleaded fuel saying that although using 95 octane would do no damage (due to the knock sensors) the performance and economy would be affected. I tried both for the first 5,000 miles and could tell no difference so for the next 108,000 miles I used only 95 octane. Car was still perfect.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

These firms that offer 'chipping' will only tell you what they want you to believe ie increased performance and better fuel economy, when in truth you will get either/or.
Motor manufacturers spend tens of millions on engine design each year and these firms offering chip upgrades are spending diddly squat by comparison. If it really was that good a proposition then dealerships would offer these services tailored to individual customers requirements.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

I agree that they will tell people what they think they want to hear and what they think they can get away with. However, I found the remap to improve the performance of my Q7 very markedly and the fuel economy was never any worse than before. In fact it really did improve slightly and continued to improve up to where the engine was fully run in, at about 40,000 miles. This continued improvement was not down to the re-map of course. The compromise was obviously the emissions from this engine. No DPF fitted so no problem there, but I'm willing to bet that NOx and particulate emissions when pulling hard would have shot up. The beauty of a remap is that injection timing can be advanced somewhat and external EGR map changed as well, resulting in greater efficiency as well as higher power and torque.As for fuel, it is pretty much standardised. Either it is suitable for use in catalysed EGR/DPF engines or it is not. Nissan only sell pick-up trucks in the USA but European companies that do, they do not alter the state of tune for the available fuel but they do cater for the more stringent emission regulations out there. Basically they fit Adblue Selective Catalytic Reduction versions of their engines, which are now also being fitted to European versions to pass Euro6 which is now becoming compulsory. The Peugeot 308 BlueHDi is a mainstream car that fits this technology and is available in the UK. Compared with the previous Euro5 high EGR engine in the same car, the Euro6 BlueHDi improves the combined fuel consumption from a combined approximate 70mpg to an almost unbelievable 90mpg. The salient point not being the precise mpg but the 20mpg improvement for no loss of power or torque.http://www.peugeot.co.uk/bluehdi/Personally I think it is a great pity that Honda have gone for a storage catalyser, high cooled EGR, rather than Adblue for Euro6, as they certainly compromise fuel economy by doing so. But que sera sera.
Quacker2015-02-25 21:47:38
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

[quote="F1 Bob"]Nissan produce an engine that they know will meet their design requirements, eco emissions and their customers need. Why make an engine that one in 100 or less may feel they would like to have. It's mass production for mass markets. No doubt a Nismo version will come long in due course for those who need one. The 1.5 engine is there to provide the most economical engine possible and it does the job very well. [/QUOTE]Exactly, the 1.5 as it is suits me & the vast majority of owners perfectly, why change it for a tiny minority. Nissan could release it with a different map themselves but its not necessary, although I suppose they could offer it an option at a cost
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

A long time since this thread was updated. I have. A 2016 1.6dci Techna Xtronic from 9 months old, now with 45k, FNMDSH. I’m now retired but want something with the toys but more power around 150 would be fine, economy not an issue. RArely buy the same car twice and read ups on the new QQ all say the same , great car shame about the engine, eldest wants me to buy an MG EV5. I’m now wondering should I run this thing until it falls apart and add a tunit box to give a power boost. Had 1 on my 2004 Ulysse which forever gave EML issues. But I’m willing to listen to thoughts
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp