Chip tuned box

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Mogga

Post by Mogga »

Hey everyone
I've had my 1.5 deisal qq for two years now and I'm getting a little bored with the lack of power.
I'm thinking of buying a deisal express chip but I'm a little concerned it may damage my engine .
Has anyone ever used one?
Also I was thinking of having it remapped but I don't think the gains would be worth it for the price with it only being a 105bhp

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

This has been discussed previously and the overall conclusion was that you would be wasting your time and money.
If you want more speed and power then look at getting g a different car.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I assume 2 years old means you have a J10 so moved to the correct place. Agreed that I am not a fan of these tuning boxes, HOWEVER there have been some proven results by the more expensive kit in the VAG world, the cheaper ones generally just adjust the fuelling without taking into account other sensors and ends up just an over fuelled mess! Most engines are tuned for warranty and longtivity so there is often a bit more power to be found with basic tweaks and a good map. I'm still keeping an eye out for a good map and supercharger pully set for my Micra DIG-S!... its been 2 years lol
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

Avoid the box go for a remap if you really want something like that. Most reputable companies will give you 135-7hp on a 1st remap. Cant remember the companies it was 2011 I was looking but didnt bother in the end, I got used to the standard 1.5 & think its great
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="SplanK"]
I assume 2 years old means you have a J10 so moved to the correct place. Agreed that I am not a fan of these tuning boxes, HOWEVER there have been some proven results by the more expensive kit in the VAG world, the cheaper ones generally just adjust the fuelling without taking into account other sensors and ends up just an over fuelled mess! Most engines are tuned for warranty and longtivity so there is often a bit more power to be found with basic tweaks and a good map. I'm still keeping an eye out for a good map and supercharger pully set for my Micra DIG-S!... its been 2 years lol[/QUOTE]
The cheaper tuning boxes actually fit in between the ECU and the common-rail, cheating the ECU into simply raising the pressure. It is simple and effective and might slightly higher sophistication in some cases. Basically all the safety systems will still be functional and left connected to do what they are meant to.More sophisticated tuning boxes may raise system pressure, or not, but also connect between the ECU output and each injector, extending the duration of injection and being able to retard the timing if necessary.Mapping allows the potential for both raising pressure and fine tuning the individual injection of fuel far more accurately. It is a far more sophisticated tool than the chip boxes and needs no hardware left on the vehicle. Done well, it can improve economy and raise performance.All of these adjustments will effect the compromise decided upon by the manufacturer and replace it with a different set of compromises.
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

"Done well, it can improve economy and raise performance"So, no downside then? Can't help but wonder why Nissan choose not to do this from scratch. I would'ave thought it would look better on their sales blurb. Edit: Blockquote fail!
Beardyman2015-02-24 12:31:18
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

"Done well, it can improve economy and raise performance".
It will do one or the other. I very much doubt it will do both, unless car manufacturers have no idea what they are doing!
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

My turn to watch with interest?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

There's also:www.superchips.co.uk/

Gel2015-02-24 13:36:36
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

Never had one myself but was very tempted when we bought a 108 BHP Focus TDCi which was a bit of a slug.Did some research and the users fell into 2 very distinct camps, some loved them and some hated them. All the sellers sites are full of weasely words and all the sellers I contacted either ignored my e-mails or simply referred me to their website, obviously they had no more to say, very worrying. One very good review of them I read convinced me not to bother. It basically said exactly what Quacker said above with a few differences. Economy cannot be improved by simply adding more fuel pressure etc. It went on to say that the makers often fool the dash display to read a higher mpg figure even if the mpg stays the same. Since most users believe the dash they live in the belief they are doing more mpg. Power is easy to increase but done incorrectly so is the level of soot which can quickly block up the DPF. But if you use the extra power provided you will without doubt use more fuel. It also warned that fault codes could be left on the ECU which would immediately alert the garage that the car had been tampered with. OK out of warranty but not good if you want free repairs. After a few days of thinking I decided not to bother and make sure in the future I bought a car with adequate power in the first place. But if you do fit one tell your insurers.