Coolant leak

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Stevesofas
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Stevesofas »

Hi all, just purchased a 08 plate nissan qashqai 1.6 petrol last night.
The seller said engine lifgt came on last week and it went into limp mode as well as leaking coolant on the ground drivers side.
I filled it up with fresh coolant and drove it home 30 miles without any problems. The engine light code was due to coolant temperature.
It's the next day now and it still hasn't lost any coolant and is driving perfect.
My question is, what can intermittently leak coolant?

Many thanks in advance..

Steve

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Stevesofas wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:08 am Hi all, just purchased a 08 plate nissan qashqai 1.6 petrol last night.
The seller said engine lifgt came on last week and it went into limp mode as well as leaking coolant on the ground drivers side.
I filled it up with fresh coolant and drove it home 30 miles without any problems. The engine light code was due to coolant temperature.
It's the next day now and it still hasn't lost any coolant and is driving perfect.
My question is, what can intermittently leak coolant?

Many thanks in advance..

Steve
The water pump could be leaking, if it is at the drivers side of the engine, check the alternator drive belt pulleys that run off the same belt. Another easy check would be the coolant tank and the two hoses that come from it to see that any of them are wet or split.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

I went out for a drive in mine this evening after putting it back together. Parked up in then noticed that I could see coolant on the ground next to the drivers side front wheel. Went and look in the engine bay, radiator was ok, then none of the hoses were split and all dry. Removed the 10mm bolt from coolant tank, lift it up and noticed it was all wet underneath. So the expansion tank had a split in it. :(
Checked out ebay, bought a new one (not genuine) for £25 posted. I was also shocked to see some people selling used ones that price. Even one person selling a used one for £45, serious pi## take. A brand new one from Nissan is around £80. I don't know where some people come up with these wild used car part prices. :roll:
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta