1.6 petrol J10, wheeler dealer type odd jobs

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

I bought the car earlier in the month, it had fresh MOT, but imo, barely fit for the road. My intention was to give it a new lease of life. Previous owners definitely had it unloved, which I notice with a lot of Qashqai as they just seem to be for a lot of people an A-B car.
The car had 2 previous owners and did around 80k miles. Loads of dents and dings and a grimy worn out interior.

First thing was to vacuum then shampoo cleaning 3 in 1 machine on the interior. Took the battery off gave it a proper charge. Gave the car a snow foaming, then wash and polish ( would get the detailing machine to it when it is warmer) steam cleaned the engine bay as it was way too dirty.

Changed rear wiper, headlight bulb, remounted bumper foglight which was hanging and fitted a bulb; fitted genuine Qashqai floor mats.

Changed engine oil (very dirty) and filter
changed coolant, air filter (dirty with loads of insects in housing), cleaned MAF sensor, throttle body cleaned
Cabin pollen filter, filthy with loads of leaves, had to vacuum out the housing, put a fresh new filter in.

Still have front brake discs to change, and brake fluid, both inner cv boot gaiters, alternator drive belt, rear tail cluster. paint chassis and underseal

Used set of wheels and tyres, bought from break on ebay for £260

DSCF2989.JPG

Given a wash and clean, I would be refurbing these myself

DSCF2990.JPG

I was shocked as heel to see one of the tyres was mounted the wrong way around. I used to be a tyre fitter 14 years ago, so cannot understand why some thicko would put it this way and it clearly labelled outside and inside on the sidewalls. Another job for me to put right.

DSCF2991.JPG

Oil sump cleaned and new instant gasket created. was leaking previously

DSCF2992.JPG

Engine block where sump was attached. old gasket scraped away from this and the pan. I did clean the seepage of oil from the mating face before attaching.

DSCF2993.JPG

Very wet inlet manifold and pre combustion chamber

DSCF3010.JPG

Spark plugs, old to the left and new to the right. Old one was wet and stinks of petrol. The plug gap was 2.8mm. New one is 1.1mm. I am not surprised the car was running rich and stinks of petrol fumes.

DSCF3014.JPG

I forgot to take a picture of the fuel flap area before. But it was horrible, a lot of surface rust with also a small 6 mm diameter hole. Wired brushed it, applied kurrust, applied primer, panel sealant on small hole, then sprayed silver, then sprayed lacquer.

DSCF3011.JPG

DSCF3012.JPG

J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

You've missed the "before" picture of the whole car!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

I think I only took one daytime pic before I cleaned it, here below. Pic makes it look better than actual condition

IMG_20220110_120037edit.jpg

The rear a few days after it was washed. The other pic to this was posted in intro[/color]

DSCF2983edit.jpg

gloucester wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:27 am You've missed the "before" picture of the whole car!
xaote
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote »

QashqaiSilver wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm I bought the car earlier in the month, it had fresh MOT, but imo, barely fit for the road. My intention was to give it a new lease of life. Previous owners definitely had it unloved, which I notice with a lot of Qashqai as they just seem to be for a lot of people an A-B car.
The car had 2 previous owners and did around 80k miles. Loads of dents and dings and a grimy worn out interior.

First thing was to vacuum then shampoo cleaning 3 in 1 machine on the interior. Took the battery off gave it a proper charge. Gave the car a snow foaming, then wash and polish ( would get the detailing machine to it when it is warmer) steam cleaned the engine bay as it was way too dirty.

Changed rear wiper, headlight bulb, remounted bumper foglight which was hanging and fitted a bulb; fitted genuine Qashqai floor mats.

Changed engine oil (very dirty) and filter
changed coolant, air filter (dirty with loads of insects in housing), cleaned MAF sensor, throttle body cleaned
Cabin pollen filter, filthy with loads of leaves, had to vacuum out the housing, put a fresh new filter in.

Still have front brake discs to change, and brake fluid, both inner cv boot gaiters, alternator drive belt, rear tail cluster. paint chassis and underseal

Used set of wheels and tyres, bought from break on ebay for £260
DSCF2989.JPG

Given a wash and clean, I would be refurbing these myself
DSCF2990.JPG

I was shocked as heel to see one of the tyres was mounted the wrong way around. I used to be a tyre fitter 14 years ago, so cannot understand why some thicko would put it this way and it clearly labelled outside and inside on the sidewalls. Another job for me to put right.
DSCF2991.JPG

Oil sump cleaned and new instant gasket created. was leaking previously
DSCF2992.JPG

Engine block where sump was attached. old gasket scraped away from this and the pan. I did clean the seepage of oil from the mating face before attaching.
DSCF2993.JPG

Very wet inlet manifold and pre combustion chamber
DSCF3010.JPG

Spark plugs, old to the left and new to the right. Old one was wet and stinks of petrol. The plug gap was 2.8mm. New one is 1.1mm. I am not surprised the car was running rich and stinks of petrol fumes.
DSCF3014.JPG

I forgot to take a picture of the fuel flap area before. But it was horrible, a lot of surface rust with also a small 6 mm diameter hole. Wired brushed it, applied kurrust, applied primer, panel sealant on small hole, then sprayed silver, then sprayed lacquer.
DSCF3011.JPG
DSCF3012.JPG
Fine job. You have done Mike and elvis proud!
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Just a few more things :mrgreen:

Split offside inner CV joint, grease is all over the subframe. I have never seen grease like this that was so thin. The viscosity of it was very runny which makes me wonder if it is proper CV joint grease.

DSCF3028.JPG

DSCF3029.JPG

Nearside inner cv joint split

DSCF3030.JPG

Changed headlight bulbs to Osram nightbreaker laser.

DSCF3032.JPG

DSCF3033.JPG

New rear cluster for nearside as old one was cracked with a hole. Changed over the bulb holder unit to the new one.

DSCF3035.JPG

Removing the driveshaft can be a little tricky. Also there is no need to remove the lower arm balljoint. I regret trying to do this. It was difficult, I did not want to damage the rubber dust cover, but it happened. So in the end I had use my ball joint spiltter (the scissor type) to press it out. Other traditional methods did not work, was stiff as hell.
My advise to anyone doing this in future is to remove the two spindle carrier to suspension strut bolts. It is far easier and you gain better access. Those are size 22mm nut & bolt. The lower balljoint nut & bolt is 19mm. Brake caliper was taken off as I was to paint them.

DSCF3039.JPG

DSCF3040.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

track rod ends were on their way out. Had to use blow torch to get the locknut undone. Was seriously as tough as old bolts to unloosen. Sprayed with WD40, shock & lock spray and blowtorch. I made sure put copper grease on the new ones. locknut is a 22mm spanner, to hold the inner trackrod is 13mm on the flat. The trackrod end has a 19mm flat to hold for adjustment etc.

DSCF3041.JPG

Brake caliper carrier before wire brushing and repaint

DSCF3042.JPG

Brand new brake disc

DSCF3043.JPG

I spray painted the inner edges in VHT black spray to prevent the rust look on discs when seen through wheels.

DSCF3044.JPG

Driveshaft removed from car. I left the inner cv joint in, unclipped gaitor

DSCF3045.JPG

Outer o/s driveshaft before clean up

DSCF3046.JPG

Caliper carrier sprayed green

DSCF3047.JPG

Nearside driveshaft being removed, this time I left lower balljoint intact and took only bolts off suspension strut

DSCF3049.JPG

Doug99
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Doug99 »

Hi,
What state are your rear Wishbones Suspension Trailing Arms? My 2012 1.6L has just failed MOT due to their corrosion and having difficulty identifying part numbers.
Doug
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Doug99 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:22 pm Hi,
What state are your rear Wishbones Suspension Trailing Arms? My 2012 1.6L has just failed MOT due to their corrosion and having difficulty identifying part numbers.
Doug
Mine are rusty with surface rust. I just done the front today with wire brush and then Kurust rust eater. Then Isopon rust inhibiting grey primer. Then painted with black Hammerite waxoyl paint.
The car has done 80k miles but it was not as rusty as the X-Trail T30 I had that did 50k miles.

Like the X-Trail a lot of it is surface rust and has not created holes or cracking. Unless the bushes are gone, I would advise you to get the wire brush out, remove any flaking rust and old flaking paint. Then give the arms a good lick of paint.
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Tripod bearing cleaned up and new inner cv boot installed on one driveshaft

DSCF3050.JPG

Tripod and circlip that came off it. it is ideal to renew these circlips I had a few spare, if you do not I guess it can be re-shaped.

DSCF3051.JPG

I was doing all kinds of checks to find out why my folding mirrors was not working at the switch. I then went and took the door card off to investigate the mirror, then noticed that it has been fitted with aftermarket mirrors, these do not fold and only move the glass up, down, left, right. So these would need replacing. Two wires missing in the wires on the mirror is the obvious clue.

DSCF3053.JPG

Offside brakes. Calipers back on, new discs and track rode ends. In the background the subrame can be seen in grey primer.

DSCF3054.JPG

Nearside brakes, also painted part of the suspension strut back black. I put blue masking tape over the label, forgot to remove in pic, also masking tape still on the brake bleed screw.

DSCF3055.JPG

Subframe painting

DSCF3056.JPG

View from front of subframe painted, first coat

DSCF3057.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Rear passenger door handle does not open from the outside initially when car is unlocked. It would only open by opening from the inside, then it can be opened from either side. It would appear the cable is stretched or lock unit is goosed. Would be opening it up to investigate

DSCF3058.JPG

Rusty offside rear lower arm

DSCF3059.JPG

Rusty nearside lower arm

DSCF3060.JPG

Front inner driver side door latch changed, New installed, old one below. The chrome was stripping off, looked horrible

DSCF3061.JPG