snow, ice and sub zero temps

ICE, Equipment, Options
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

[quote="gvmdaddy"] Just after a mile or so the warning light came on along with an audible warning saying that the Forward Collision Avoidance System was unavailable . There was also a short message flash up on the info screen, wording to the effect that the radar sensor may be obstucted. The warning light stayed on until the engine was switched off. After re starting the ignition the warning was replicated after about 30 seconds. Im assuming this relates to the latest recall notice. The radar sensor appears to be sensing falling snow, similar to the way that radar picked up 'chaff' during the war. Lets hope the recall notice has the answer to this problem. [/QUOTE]I had the recall update done last Monday and on Tuesday morning I got the same warnings plus several parking sensors beeping red. We had just had some snow and I immediately thought, that it's the ice on the sensors giving false readings. I cleaned the ultrasonic sensors with my bare hands to melt the ice, but still the forward sensors kept showing red no matter how thoroughly I cleaned them. I then went back to the dealer's and the chief mechanic told me that there are two radar antennas behind the upper grille both sides of the Nissan badge. He told me that I have to clean all the ice from the grille to get the radar working. He suggested taking the car in some heated space to melt all the ice, but that's easier said than done. I do not have a garage, so my only option would be to go shopping in a shopping center with a heated parking cellar. We do have some of those, but they are heated only barely, so that the melting would take several hours. It seem like another software update might be needed. The radar is supposed to detect only moving (approaching) obstacles, it should NOT go into sulking mode because of some static mass in front of it.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, this was purely using the QQ Technology - No Webasto yet. I plan to give this a go when the Snow/Ice is a little more severe. Also did not want to suck too much juice out of the Battery as we are basically short trip types.
Eddzilla, had absolutely no sign of the problems you had - no condensation, damp or wet areas. Last Night I had 5 Brits (4 breathing unpure Air) in the QQ and this morning there is no sign of moisture in the Inside. Checked again Petrol Flap(-4C) still opens. Perhaps you should stop driving into the Sauna - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Atif

Post by Atif »

Squierrel,I have exactly the same problem. Parking sensors are showing red even though everything is clean and no obstacles in the front of the car. Dealer said that sensors are OK, so I just have to live with it. Also, I had same issue with front collision avoidance system, suddenly it showed warning message that this system is unavailable.
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
Qash

Post by Qash »

OMG this is NOT a winter car!!! And we have 4-5 months of winter in Sweden. All parking sensors going mad and condense everywhere. Cheep components a bad calibration is to blame, i miss German and Volvo attention to the details and proper tested cars!
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Eddzilla - There has to be a fault with your car somewhere. It should not have that level of condensation. Our stays out all the time and have never experienced anything like that, just a little condensation which clears in seconds when the heaters and demister are run. Also, have never had any moisture on the inside of the roof.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
duncho

Post by duncho »

F1 Bob, thank you for the tip and your experience with the battery. I will visit a dealer on Tuesday and have a word with them.
Regarding Qashq's problem with his car, it is difficult to understand and compare his problems with ours as winter in Sweeden is simply uncomparable with UK winter. Heavy snowing, icy roads and damn freezing. We most likely will never have chance to test our cars in such rough climate conditions.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Re: Condensation. I have never had a car that has not had condensation issues. Although out of the lot, the Primera which was stripped of all carpet and headliner was interesting as it often 'rained' inside the car in winter! However, in the UK we have just come from quite a warm and humid weather patern which sticks around, then a warm body (you, passengers... damp dog blah blah) which does not help and it instantly clings onto all the cold surfaces if can find! Where possible, I often open up my drivers window when I get in which allows the humid air from me to escape rather than cling to the windows, get some heat in the car and the windows before closing it. Only needs to be open for the first couple of minutes.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="duncho"]F1 Bob, thank you for the tip and your experience with the battery. I will visit a dealer on Tuesday and have a word with them. Regarding Qashq's problem with his car, it is difficult to understand and compare his problems with ours as winter in Sweeden is simply uncomparable with UK winter. Heavy snowing, icy roads and damn freezing. We most likely will never have chance to test our cars in such rough climate conditions. [/QUOTE] So true, we used to take equipment to Sweden / Finland for severe winter testing. There is absolutely no comparison between anything we see here in the UK or mainland Western Europe come to that.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Even better, get the aircon on for a short whole, after all thats what it is there for.
One trick I learned from my last car....a minute or so before getting out the car prior to parking up either for the day or night, hit the recirculation button on the heating controls. It shuts the incoming airvents from cold damp air. When you shut the ignition off the external vent remains shut.
Just getting into a car introduces moisture to the vehicle...breath, sweat, wet shoes and clothing etc. If its warmer in the car than outside then the moisture has nowhere to go other than condense on the cooling then cold car interior. To avoid this either dont introduce moisture...impossible...or take the moisture out of the air using the aircon.
Qash

Post by Qash »

Most of the European automakers are testing vehicles in Sweden over the winter. There is a village that is increasing its population over the winter with the 5-6000 inhabitants, all car tester. The major German manufacturers also have their own hotels and workshops there. Nissan says that they have tested the Qashqai mighty long and carefully. It can only lead to one conclusion: those who have tested the cars are very bad at his job (which I do not believe in) or has anyone decided to ignore their conclusions and switching to other components that don't work in the rain and cold.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci