Indicator lights, back up camera, etc stuck on

ICE, Equipment, Options
stunetii
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by stunetii »

Greetings!

My wife has a troublesome 2011 Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dci, which has grown increasingly troublesome over the past few weeks, with a variety of odd symptoms. At this point I am not exactly sure what to do with the car.

Some background: During the winter about 5 years ago the brake lights would stay after shutting the car off. The lights would flicker and blink a bit. During the same time the red service warning light would illuminate while the car was running. After driving the car for 20 minutes or so, the traction control lights would also illuminate. No error code showed up on my admittedly budget scanner. I after about a week or so both symptoms ceased. Shortly afterwards I found some time to do some service to the car, including service to the break light switch. The same symptoms returned the following winter, for a few days, and then disappeared again.

After the symptoms took a 4-year-long hiatus, they returned again a few weeks ago: 1) flickering brake lights while off, 2) red service light illuminated intermittently, 3) traction control lights after 10-20 minutes (only while the red service light is lit). The only error code to show up is P0380, which is a seemingly unrelated error in the glow plug system that I have been trying to fix for some time. Hoping those 3 symptoms would take another long hiatus again, I simply ignored them. And yes, one symptom did – namely break lights.

But now a host of other more irritating and unmanageable symptoms have emerged. For starters, the airbag error light began flashing. (Note: I replaced the clock spring about a year ago to address an airbag error code.) Then when driving the car one morning, after the blissfulness of not driving the car for a few days, I noticed the right-hand signal lights were constantly on even after the engine was off, now necessitating the irritating ritual of disconnecting the negative battery cable when parked (not LEDs). As a consequence, my wife now drives my car while I’m stuck with this beast. LOL! The bulbs have been replaced, to no avail. The signal symptoms started intermittently but are now an almost constant issue. The scanner produced the same P0380 code (no surprise here) but also P006d (barometric pressure). So I visually inspected the pressure sensor, the intake pipe and hose and retightened the hose clamps. Since then the P006d code has not returned, but oddly enough neither has the P0380 code.

The final symptom thus far showed up a few days ago: the back up camera is displayed intermittently on the LCD screen while in forward gears.
So, the symptoms at this time are 1) red service light (illuminated 90% of the time), 2) traction control lighting up after driving for some minutes (present largely when the red service light in on), 3) right-side signal lights stuck on even when shut off (largely perpetual), and 4) reverse camera displayed even while driving forward (very intermittent).
Note: I managed to reset the airbag error light about a week ago. That symptom has not returned (yet).

These seem to be a rather overwhelming list of symptoms. Does anyone have any thoughts? Out of frustration, the only attractive solution to me is the simplicity of a mid-1980s Volvo 240 or late 70s AMC Pacer. LOL.

Mikayj
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Mikayj »

Hi, sorry might sound daft as I have not worked on cars for years but when I did something like this usually pointed towards faulty earthing somewhere, might be worth a try to check earthing points.
stunetii
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by stunetii »

Thanks. Yes, that is on my list, along with the BCM.