Qashquai Wheel Alignment

The place to discuss everything else..
Smitea
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Smitea »

Dear Nissan Forum Members

After purchasing a new 2023 Nissan Qashquai Acenta Xtronic CVT, I noticed that the caster angles on both front wheels are not within the specified tolerances as per Nissan's Wheel Alignment Specifications. As these angles are fixed during the manufacturing process and not adjustable like e.g. camber and toe, I have contacted Nissan South Africa in this regard.
It was recommended that the vehicle is driven for 5 000 to 10 000Km in order for the suspension to settle.

Needless to say, I am not satisfied with this approach. I have never heard of "driving a car to get it into specification"
Your wisdom and recommendations as vehicle owners, in this regard will be appreciated.

EA Smit

South Africa

AndyMorris
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by AndyMorris »

How did you notice the casters angles were out?
A flat tyre I'd notice but not the caster angles?
Tekna E-Power, Ceramic grey 2 tone.
Ordered 17th Jan expected 31st March arrived 30th May 2023!
Smitea

Post by Smitea »

Hi Andy

With regard to your question "How did you notice the casters angles were out?", just some back ground:

When wheel alignment is done on a vehicle, caster, camber and toe angles are measured by the wheel alignment machine in order for the technician to, if required, make adjustments to camber and toe to be within the tolerances as per the wheel alignment specifications. These specifications are provided by the original car manufacturer for every make and model.
As stated, caster angles can not be adjusted as the position of the steering axis is fixed as part of the manufacturing process.

My dissatisfaction is based on the fact that, a new vehicle left the factory with caster angles out of specification.

My concern therefore is, does the vehicle comply in all aspects to the performance criteria set for a new vehicle of the same make, year and model, in terms of
a) safety
b) stability and road holding
c) abnormal suspension and tyre wear

Eben Smit
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Have you taken it to a tyre fitter place and got them to check the wheel tracking for you so you can see if it's out or not.
roadster
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by roadster »

What load conditions did you measure under? As a technician with another car company I would carry out such checks but it was vital that the vehicle was properly loaded with appropriate ballast.
Smitea

Post by Smitea »

Hi Roadster

Thank you very much for your valuable response.

The readings were taken with the vehicle unladen (no passengers, no driver, no luggage or any other additional weight).
According to my experience, this is normal practice during a wheel alignment check?.

I am very glad to talk to an independent and knowledgeable person like you. To give you some detail:
According to the Nissan factory specifications, caster angle should be between +7 degrees 25 minutes and + 5 degrees 55 minutes (ideal 6 degrees 40 minutes) however, the current readings are as follows:
Left front = + 5 degrees 23 minutes
Right front = + 5 degrees 25 minutes
The current angles are therefore less positive than the minimum tolerance of 5 degrees 55 minutes.

Your opinion and advice will be highly appreciated.

PS. for interest sake, are you from a South African company or from abroad?

Eben Smit
Smitea

Post by Smitea »

PLEASE NOTE:
I have transferred my original posts with regard to wheel alignment matters from this Off-Topic section to the section for "Chassis, Wheels and Tyres.

Please follow and respond in the new section.

Thank you
Eben Smit