Hello Everyone!

Suggestions & Help using the Nissan QashQai Forums
Rob
Site Admin
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Rob »

Hello everyone,I am Rob and have taken over the running of this forum.I think the site is great, an excellent community with a great atmosphere and very welcoming to new comers. I hope that atmosphere continues and you don't get too worried about any changes that might occur. I feel an admins job is to help the community develop so that is what I am looking to do.I am only looking at making a few changes:Change the forum software - I have been working on a new version of the forum software, one that works equally well on desktops, tablets and mobiles and also one that integrates with other apps such as tapatalk. This should be ready in a few weeks time - I'll post the preview link up for you soon.Change the look of the site, the current 'theme' won't work on the new software.Drop the advertising down a notch, I think only one banner rather than the current two will be sufficient.Introduce another moderator - I will ask for volunteers shortly. If you have any changes you would like to see or any features you would like adding, please let me know. Thanks!Rob

andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Rob, I'd suggest moderators be anonymous. it helped on some of the forums I moderated on before.
tekna cvt mag red
Sudhir

Post by Sudhir »

Hi Rob, Welcome to your forum ;)It will be good to have Tapatalk integration. Not much bothered by advertisement.Good luck with the software update.
2014 Qashqai Tekna Dci Storm White.
cliffgorse

Post by cliffgorse »

Congratulations and welcome Rob, good luck with the changes, it can only go from strength to strength with you new changes.Cliff
1.6 dci CVT Tekna Nightshade Delivery picked up on the 17th
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Another thing I'd like to see, (or not see would be more appropriate); points for most posts. If you got rid of this I feel it would discourage posting just to increase seniority.Either nothing( apart from admin/mod being highlighted), so every one is equal, or points based on 'likes ' or thanks on posts, so users can see who has been helpful.
tekna cvt mag red
Rob
Site Admin
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Rob »

I actually think this is how the new software works anyway. No groups - all users are the same level.
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

To add my input to some of the thoughts and comments made in terms of the revamping of the forum and it's management. I really only have two significant points:1. For me moderators are here to assist the forum and it's members. As such they need to be visible so members can identify them and seek their help. As that should, in my opinion, be their primary focus I cannot see any strong reason that would mean they should be anonymous.2. Looking to the future in order to manage the past, why would we not have a separate area for owners of the original Qashqai? After all, consider what will happen to this forum in X years time when the "New Nissan Qashqai" is released.Mark
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

Well hello Boss! Lol
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Mark, moderators are sometimes forced to make unpopular decisions, at least I was. unpopular with individuals and also larger groups in the forum.As a known group member a mod can be exposed to a lot of nasty personal messages.As an anonymous mod, you have to put on a different cap when you sign in, more professional.I found it helped prevent biases. As a known member you may have to disappoint and upset a freind and stand up for the unpopular newbie who happens to be in the right.If you ban a friend it can have long lasting repercussions.I prefer to keep 'work' separate from 'friends ', as an anonymous mod you can hold two opposing views, it does mess with your head somewhat, but putting on the mod hat helps to compartmentalise.I would only be an anonymous mod on even the friendliest forum.
tekna cvt mag red
Andy

Post by Andy »

[quote="Rob"]I actually think this is how the new software works anyway. No groups - all users are the same level. [/QUOTE]
just as an FYI, I took a quick peek and appears your going to be using phpBB3. its one of the most popular open source bulletin boards, nice choice, It's extremely configurable, I know I've used it quite a bit you can create custom groups, and subgroups. You can define access depending on those groups and what is or isn't visible, what is restricted or how much usability the individual user has.However You may lose the original groups and other structures/configurations when you transfer the old forum over, that will depend on how good the converter you use is, and you may have to recreate the groups manually

Andy2014-05-08 10:31:45
1.6d, Tenka, CVT, storm white, order feb, Due 3rd July updated to 26 jun