Newbie with Engine choice dilemma!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

On the 2013 model, or J10 (pre facelift and new J11 model), you will get heated drivers seat, large alloys and bose sound system, but you wont get heated thermaclear windscreen (which is brilliant), led headlights or led running lights, auto assisted parking, auto emergency assisted braking, all round safety shield (street sign recognition/pedestrian and obstacle recognition, lane departure warning, possibly speed limiter, and/or other features as on the new J11).

Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Very rarely any more than me and the wife in the car, but I do carry some quite heavy musical equipment, but the total weight of this is definitely not as much as the weight of 2 adults.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

gvmdaddy wrote:On the 2013 model, or J10 (pre facelift and new J11 model), you will get heated drivers seat, large alloys and bose sound system, but you wont get heated thermaclear windscreen (which is brilliant), led headlights or led running lights, auto assisted parking, auto emergency assisted braking, all round safety shield (street sign recognition/pedestrian and obstacle recognition, lane departure warning, possibly speed limiter, and/or other features as on the new J11).

Seems like there is a lot more "kit" to the new generation Tekna. IMHO there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the N-Tec and Tekna on the pre new gen models, the addition of heated leather seats and an upgraded sound system are more like optional extras rather than classifying it as being a different model? :shock:

PS: ok, there is the keyless entry/ignition as well.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Decided to go for a 62 plate Magnetic Red 1.5 Tekna in the end, I did like the N-Tec+ but I love the heated leather seats on the Tekna!

I still have a few concerns about the 1.5, mainly due to the fact that it seems to have this issue with failed cam belts? I will have the comfort of the Nissan Cared4 Warranty for 12 months but I estimate that by the time this is up it will be due for a change. The 1.6 would have alleviated this worry as I understand it has a cam chain, but there you go. I've read that the 1.5 although obviously less powerful is quieter and smoother than the 1.6, I've also read that the 1.5 would have been a more expensive option when new, does anyone know why?

I haven't seen any good reviews on the Bose sound system fitted on these, has anyone got any views on these? Also, I haven't been able to find out if the CD unit is a single disc player or 6 disc multi-changer?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Almost 30 years ago I spent a small fortune on an Alpine CD head unit, sub woofer and 6 high end replacement speakers in a Vauxhall Astra. It was my pride and joy. Was it worth it? no, not really. Ok, the volume would go as high as a rocket, with no distortion etc, but in the confines of a vehicle it was just a waste. Looking back, the original equipment was more than sufficient. My point? The Bose system would be nice in a home environment, but in your car, driving safely, you wont see much benefit.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Generally I've been quite happy with Nissan's audio systems but have only tried the radio in the Qashqai very briefly, I don't know how the tone controls or any EQ were set at the time of the test drive but it sounded very mediocre to me. I've read that CD's sound passable though?

Looking forward to trying it anyway.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

62 plate you say? Did that benefit from DAB radio? CDs will be fine, as will digital AUX if you have that, but FM is noticeably inferior.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

No DAB unfortunately, only FM/AM, as you say the radio tone is very bland, but AUX and CD much better. The sub woofer I can't really tell whether it is actually adding any bottom end or not? I think it needed to have separate controls for the sub woofer like you do on TV 2.1 Soundbars with separate woofers.

We only collected the car yesterday so am only just starting to experiment with all the settings.