Antifreeze colours

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Glenn1961
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Glenn1961 »

My 1.5 Qashqai coolant is blue but my Nissan dealer only uses green L248 is this ok to use to top up they said it would be fine?

Gel

Post by Gel »

Doesn't sound right;
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advi ... our-engine

Cars built from 1998 onwards typically need organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze, which better protects aluminium components from corrosion. Cars built prior to 1998 are usually more suited to non-OAT-based antifreeze, which better protects copper and brass components. This is sometimes referred to as glycol antifreeze.

Things are made more complicated by the fact that different colours of antifreeze are also available, intended to work in specific cooling systems. Again, once you’ve identified the right type of antifreeze for your car, you should always use the same colour. Because the different colours of antifreeze correspond to different formulations, they’re not always compatible with each other.

Sometimes two non-compatible antifreezes won’t mix together correctly. When this happens you can find elements of their makeup combining in solid lumps or gels, which can even block the cooling system if the problem isn’t spotted and resolved early.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DACA

Post by DACA »

Is the antifreeze used short life or like other manufacturers long life?
DACA

Ink Blue 1.6 DCi Tekna Xtronic
Gel

Post by Gel »

Green is the Nissan OEM spec colour; blue stuff may have been added at some stage, and would be non Nissan I believe.
If Nissan will only fill with Nissan stuff, they'll need to drain out rad /cooling system first to remove the blue.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Nissan ... B00BZ302RW

However Bluecol antifreeze says it's ready mixable with other colours!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Glenn1961

Post by Glenn1961 »

Hi the Qashqai is only 12 months old so blue was in from new, all I've done is top up from min to just below max what do you think?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I was at our Dealer today and dug in a bit on the Coolant Colors. I checked our QQ this morning and I was of the opinion it was "Bluish". At our Dealer I checked with the Guy that does the PDI's and he confirmed "Green", I checked an X-Trail "Green", I checked a Container "Green". I then asked the Store Guy and he double checked with the Workshop "Green". So rounding things up it appears as Gel stated it is a "Green" Color.
- Dave :)

I found some data on these Coolants :
Nissan Green Long Life Antifreeze / Coolant L248 or L248SP #999MP-AF000P
Nissan Blue Long Life Antifreeze / Coolant #999MP-L25500P

Gel Commented : Green is the Nissan OEM spec colour ; blue stuff may have been added at some stage, and would be non Nissan I believe.
If Nissan will only fill with Nissan stuff, they'll need to drain out rad /cooling system first to remove the blue.

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken