Newbie with Engine choice dilemma!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Hound wrote:Being disabled I needed an auto. The 1.2 petrol felt a little underpowered for where I live (although it did remarkably well for such a small engine) so the 1.6dCi was the only other auto choice. My understanding is that the 1.5dCi is quieter (it has belt drive, the 1.6 has chain) and has better fuel economy, but the 1.6 feels noticeably more gutsy. I would have liked a Tekna for the extra toys, but N-tec+ was the highest option I could get and is a pretty awesome spec.
Yeah, know what you mean about noisy cam chains with the X-Trail!

I think the Tekna might be slightly out of my budget but you never know I might drop on one at the right price.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic

Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

TheSavage wrote:Again, to help, I've had the N Tec and the Tekna (currently have this). Definitely the latter if you can afford it and you won't look back from there. So many gadgets, absolutely fantastic! What colour are you thinking of and are you buying from new? I have the gun metal grey, the best for me, then the white...
Cost is an issue so it might have to be the N-Tec. Not fussed about which colour but I have had a white car before and as a result it is way down on my choice.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Had my 1.5 dci a week now, country roads or the motorway the engine performance is fine, quite surprised how responsive it is.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Just picking up on Daewar's comment, gotta agree with the comparison between the 1.5 DCI and 1.6DCi, although whilst the car will feel slower with more luggage (any car will be the same), the latter still performs well due to the 243 torque! Although, having drove a 2.5 litre RSQ3 and a 3 litre SQ5, I do think it's time for Nissan to up the engine and power options to cover all tastes/requirements, especially as SUV's are more and more popular!
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Baker69, you can't go wrong with the N Tec, so if money restricts you to that option, you will be happy but certainly worth looking at the Tekna option. One extra you get, which is great at this time of year, is the thermoclear heated windscreen, cleared that in under 5 minutes this morning and it was minus 4...You also get heated seats!
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Checked out a couple of vehicles today and have decided to go for the 1.5 Tekna. I found the 1.5 quite responsive, with 2 passengers and myself I think it pulls quite well. Ok the 1.6 would have been more powerful, but I think this will suit our needs and I was pleased to have got one with the Tekna spec, although am not quite sure exactly what you get for this model over and above the N-Tec other than the heated leather seats, bigger wheels and the Bose stereo system? I think it might have Xenon headlights? Are these the ones with the LED surround lights?? Never thought to check.

What else does the Tekna have over and above the N-Tec spec? It's a 2013 model.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

TheSavage wrote:Baker69, you can't go wrong with the N Tec, so if money restricts you to that option, you will be happy but certainly worth looking at the Tekna option. One extra you get, which is great at this time of year, is the thermoclear heated windscreen, cleared that in under 5 minutes this morning and it was minus 4...You also get heated seats!
I think the heated screens are only on the new generation models, I'm looking at 2012/2013 models due to my budget restrictions. :cry:
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Yep, you are correct! Not sure on your budget but worth looking around at the finance deals available to see if you can stretch to a new model. Plus, the car will be in warranty then, unless you can get one with an extended one...
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

TheSavage wrote:Yep, you are correct! Not sure on your budget but worth looking around at the finance deals available to see if you can stretch to a new model. Plus, the car will be in warranty then, unless you can get one with an extended one...
I've been through all the finance part of it and £11k is my absolute limit unfortunately. This puts me out the running for any of the new gen models I've seen out there (main dealers anyway).
fabes

Post by fabes »

If you find the 1.5 struggles if you do opt for it, I would recommend a superchips remap
Takes the 1.5 close or to 1.6 territory, for a few hundred quid

It's made a notable difference to ours (and it's useful for the 5 up & loaded trip to Devon later today)