Newbie with Engine choice dilemma!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Hi guys,

My first posting on the Forum, but not yet a Qashqai owner!

I currently have a Nissan X-Trail which is getting a bit long in the tooth now and have been considering a Qashqai for a while now. I did actually road test one a couple of years ago but the car was just too expensive for me at the time.

Anyway, I'm on the lookout for an N-Tec spec model but have seen very contrasting reviews between the 1.5 and 1.6 Diesel engines. Some reviews are saying the 1.5 is the best and is a more refined engine but some are saying it is underpowered. Other reviews are saying the 1.6 Diesel is the best one albeit at a slightly poorer fuel consumption.

Can anyone give me a realistic overview on the 2 engine options?

Cheers.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic

TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Hi Baker69.

I have had both engines and currently have the 1.6 DCI X Tronic. The 1.5 engine is more economical, but the engine felt a bit underpowered for me, and I got fed up with a manual transmission. The 1.6 engine is much better, bigger, more powerful and more torgue. People will argue differently and each to their own, but for me, in a car that size, the bigger and more powerful the better! Yes, it's not as fuel efficient, but it's the one engine that was designed for the QQ, the 1.5 wasn't and you will see why when you drive it. By all means, test them both, but the 1.6 is the clear winner!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I have tried both engines in with manual gearbox, the 1.6 was quite obviously Smoother & more powerfull. I wanted AWD so the 1.6 was the obvious choice.
Baker69 wrote:Hi guys,

My first posting on the Forum, but not yet a Qashqai owner!

I currently have a Nissan X-Trail which is getting a bit long in the tooth now and have been considering a Qashqai for a while now. I did actually road test one a couple of years ago but the car was just too expensive for me at the time.

Anyway, I'm on the lookout for an N-Tec spec model but have seen very contrasting reviews between the 1.5 and 1.6 Diesel engines. Some reviews are saying the 1.5 is the best and is a more refined engine but some are saying it is underpowered. Other reviews are saying the 1.6 Diesel is the best one albeit at a slightly poorer fuel consumption.

Can anyone give me a realistic overview on the 2 engine options?

Cheers.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Thanks for the replies.

I was initially looking at the 1.6 as I instinctively felt it would be the better option, it was only on reading a review which said that the 1.5 was the best option that made me take note (and there are so many 1.5's out there).

The 1.6 it is then!

Next decision - N-Tec or Tekna?
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Daewar wrote:I wanted AWD so the 1.6 was the obvious choice.
Same for me so the engines was chosen for me :D
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Again, to help, I've had the N Tec and the Tekna (currently have this). Definitely the latter if you can afford it and you won't look back from there. So many gadgets, absolutely fantastic! What colour are you thinking of and are you buying from new? I have the gun metal grey, the best for me, then the white...
Bros

Post by Bros »

I have the 1.5 ntec
Plenty oomph
Plenty frugal compared to the 1.6
Plenty quiet
Plenty comfy

If I was spending extra money it would be on upgrading to tekna as opposed to the 1.6
Only my opinion of course.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Being disabled I needed an auto. The 1.2 petrol felt a little underpowered for where I live (although it did remarkably well for such a small engine) so the 1.6dCi was the only other auto choice. My understanding is that the 1.5dCi is quieter (it has belt drive, the 1.6 has chain) and has better fuel economy, but the 1.6 feels noticeably more gutsy. I would have liked a Tekna for the extra toys, but N-tec+ was the highest option I could get and is a pretty awesome spec.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

May be plenty of oomph chugging around a city or local roads with only 2 in the cab, u put it on the dual carriageway or motorway, 4 up and a boot of luggage and unless you are driving Miss Daisy then you wont have any oomph. I have the 1.6 and is still underpowered when loaded up.

In real life tests i've seen some people quoting figures that show the 1.5 is only slightly more frugal than the 1.6.

100% agree on the quietness & comfort.
Bros wrote:I have the 1.5 ntec
Plenty oomph
Plenty quiet
Plenty comfy

If I was spending extra money it would be on upgrading to tekna as opposed to the 1.6
Bros

Post by Bros »

Daewar wrote:May be plenty of oomph chugging around a city or local roads with only 2 in the cab, u put it on the dual carriageway or motorway, 4 up and a boot of luggage and unless you are driving Miss Daisy then you wont have any oomph. I have the 1.6 and is still underpowered when loaded up.

In real life tests i've seen some people quoting figures that show the 1.5 is only slightly more frugal than the 1.6.

100% agree on the quietness & comfort.
Bros wrote:I have the 1.5 ntec
Plenty oomph
Plenty quiet
Plenty comfy

Certainly cannot argue the the number 4, mostly only ever 2 of us in the car.
As for dual carriageway, absolutely superb cruising along (2 of us & suitcase) great mpg and plenty of power.
With 4 persons it may well be underpowered I have never tried it so that's a fair point.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2