Creaking noise coming from wheel

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Trazza

Post by Trazza »

When I turn the steering wheel there is a creaking noise coming from behind the front left wheel. It's been a few days now but comes and goes. Any ideas what could be causing it. My Qashqai is a year old, have booked in for a diagnostics check but need to wait a month to get it checked out.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Is the noise apparent on turning whilst stationary, moving or whilst driving in a straight line? Is it whilst turning left or right? What is the temperature where you are driving right now? How old is your car? Answer all these and you should find the answer to your perceived problem by using the search button at the top of the forum. There is plenty of info available if you look.
Trazza

Post by Trazza »

It's whilst turning left mainly, car is a year old and it makes the noise whilst stationary and moving. Yesterday I took a short trip at 6pm, then again at 7. 6pm made the noise during the whole journey and no noise at all a 7 so I guess the car is warmer? Temperature outside 12 deg.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If I remember correctly, mine had a creak which turned out to be some sort of bush/grommet on the steering column. My dealer fixed/replaced what ever it was (sorry cant be more help here, busy life means info gets pushed in one ear and out t'other recently!) and its all sorted.

Seem to show up more when it was cold. There was a thread or 2 about it on here so probably worth hunting it down
Trazza

Post by Trazza »

Thanks yes I've seen thread on noises coming from the steering column itself but mine is from the actually wheel. It's stopped doing it again now. Very odd
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Hi there, had this problem last year, both top mounts were replaced in the end, it used to squeak when it was really cold, this year it hasn't squeaked all year until the cold weather,now it doesn't squeak when just cold, it's find with that, but when it's raining and wet and the spray from the water gets into the bushing it creaks, so it looks like I need the shock absorbers sleeves replacing for the modified ones to prevent the debris/water getting in. Now my question is that it took a long time to get the car so as everything is working as it should, and I had the get the steering alignment done professionally to get it to go in a straight line as the dealers were useless. Is there any way that I could possibly seal the area in question that is letting the water in? Maybe silicon sealant around the non moving joints, I really don't want the car messed with at the dealers!! So a nice diy fix would be fab! Any help would be brill! Any drawing/ideas where water is getting in would really help! And if anyone has had the modified parts did they help with the problem?
Thanks
Trazza

Post by Trazza »

Mine went in for diagnostics yesterday. They lubricated something at the bottom of the steering column and tightened part of the suspension and the creaking has gone. Sorry can't be more specific!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Well, my car went in today for its 3rd service, MOT (I know I am going to pay a small fortune for it, but having all these jobs done in one go and having a curt car is worth it) and to have the steering wheel bush's/grommets replaced....

Called up saying nothing odd found with service and MOT has passed, however the replacement bush/grommet didn't fix the steering noise so they are keeping it to replace the top mounts... I guess suspension top mounts?!

only 7 days left of its warranty..... I'm feeling a little nervous lol
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, after having those Suspension Mounts done on our QQ we have never heard a sound since - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

top mounts and bushes were replaced on my 1.5 dCi Acenta last week.
the noise/sound is no more.
10 months of warranty left, and no concerns at the moment.

if any more warranty work is required though, I pray I don't get put in another Micra.
it's a truly terrible contraption !

Paul.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !