Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
charles

Post by charles »

I purchased my QQ April 2014 and first noticed the creaking steering noise after about 13 months. The dealer re lubricated and cleaned the shock dust covers and the noise went away. It was suggested that it could be a problem when the car was cold?. This re-appered 7 months later (Dec 2014) and again the dealer lubricated and cleaned the dust covers. This time I did not get out of the car park as the noise was now continuous. I immediately reported this and arranged for the problem to be fully checked and new covers fitted in 2 weeks time. When they were carrying out this work, a visiting Nissan engineer became aware of this and told them not to bother investigating as the problem was a design fault. Dust was entering under the shock covers resulting in the croaking noise. The new design covers were fitted on 15th Jan 2016, my car I am told is the first in the UK to have this done so hopefully it is sorted.
Charles
chawki

Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Once again this forum comes up trumps, although I still see lots of different diagnosis & possible solutions to this issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcHobgkKTo

I had a quick Google online and found the above You tube video, showing exactly the issue/noise that I have been getting over the last couple of weeks. It came, then went about a week ago, but has reappeared again.

The temperatures issue certainly ties in, it's now hoovering around freezing in the north of Scotland. This will drive me demented if I have to listen to this for circa 6 months of the year ! And the car isn't due a service for another 8 months.

Added to -

* the crazed roof rail caps that the dealer failed to replace last time it was back in,
* blind spot indicators that seem to have a mind of their own (I've read all those posts on here too),
* collision avoidance that regularly declares itself unavailable,
* a handbrake that doesn't always want to apply,
* a stereo that often comes on when starting the car playing the CD when it was previously on radio,
* oh & discs that feel like they may be warped (same as the lemon of an X Trail I had) at <14k miles.

Well only 2 months in (6 months a first Nissan owner - the X Trail lasted just 4 months) I am one very disappointed & frustrated Nissan owner right now.

I love my motors & driving, but I'm just not sure I am going to love this one !
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

We are feeling some what disappointed with our Qashqai 1.5cdi Tekna. Bought new in June 2015 and intended to be a final retirement vehicle. After reading excellent Motoring magazine reviews we decided on a Qashqai.The ride, interior finish and specification Tekna seemed excellent and the car proved very reliable for the first 10 months. It is also very economical too. But we experienced an intermittent air conditioning problem this summer, which only happened on long journeys in hot weather. This required two inspection/ visits to the dealer ( on the first visit we got a shrug of the shoulders from the service desk, "well what do you expect us to do about if its intermittent", not exactly the reply you want to hear) before a condenser problem was identified, this required another visit to the dealer once Nissan had approved the replacement. The day after this work was carried out, an engine management light came on, that was diagnosed as a faulty battery. (" oh, Nissan batteries are rubbish so we will just replace it" ) . The air con problem might also explain why I saw several Qashqai being driven with all the windows down this summer. Now we have no heated seat on the drivers side, another inspection visit with car kept in for two days has identified a new seat pad required.( well actually I could have told them that). Now waiting for Nissan approval again., presumably that will be January at the earliest. So, most of the summer with no air con when it was desperately needed, and several winter weeks with no seated seat.
On this latest visit, I also reported a Metallic Ratchet sound coming from the steering rack/ power steering on cold mornings, which I now see seems to be a common problem. Again could not find any sign of the problem, so that will be another two visits at least, identify and Fix. Can some one explain to me why it takes a minimum of two visits to get anything done, ( doubling up the irritation, inconvenience and aggravation) not to mention £12 everytime for the courtesy car insurance and why there seems to be blank expressions ( often un sympathic body language) on the faces of services technicians when these seem to be common problems. We've had no rear lights on one occasion, reported at the first service, blind spot detectors have a mind of their own, clearly picking up hedges etc Also, the local dealer say the car will be cleaned on every visit. Until recently This had only been done once despite being requested on the job ticket each time it's been in. It has been cleaned though on the last two visits, but probably because I have stuck a sarcastic note on a window asking for it to be cleaned. Becoming very disenchanted with the whole experience so far, and with all these electrical anomalies, I can't see us keeping the car beyond the warranty and certainly wouldn't risk letting it park itself. Come on Nissan, what happened to Japanese reliability and customer service.
Last edited by Mike Read on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Join the club mate...I had the same condenser issue on my X Trail - & spent most of my 4 month ownership (summer months & a long drive family holiday) with no aircon due to non availability of a replacement unit. The X Trail was riddled with issues. Although I now wish I'd kept that car though as the QQ has an even longer list of issues. Just don't have the energy to go back to the dealer right now, but will need to get them looked at at some point. Good luck with yours.
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Yeah, I think we will be going back to a BWM after this experience, the car ticked so many boxes, but is turning into a damp quid. The dealer doesn't help the experience either.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Just been reading some of the comments about this, I find it very irritating that the dealer seemed to ignore this problem when I mentioned it, a simple "we know what that is should have been the reply" and clearly they should have just lubricated the offending part as a temperary fix. Nissan must know about this by now and so should the dealers. I can't help but think a lack of Dealer to Manufacture communication is partially to blame here. They have seemed very indifferent to any of the problems we have experienced so far, despite them all being common complaints and this is just another example.
Biggsmig

Post by Biggsmig »

Hi all, New to forum but would like to join the creaky steering wheel club! It definatly seems worse in cold weather and is going in for it to be " investigated" again. They have looked at it before but could not find a problem. This is just one of a number of niggly problems i have had with my Qq 1.6 petrol since I bought it new in Mar 15. Battery failed the day I was going to drive it down to Newquay. ( dealer refused to even look at it until following week!) Auto wipers have a mind of there own as does keyless entry/start. Auto headlights blind everyone. Cd player comes on at start up when its previously been on radio. Nothing too serious but annoying and getting things done by Sandicliffe loughborough is a pain. I know when I take the car in on Thursday they will tell me that the repair needs to be authorised by nissan after which they will order the parts. Much to long winded.Back to Honda methinks.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Ours is also in tomorrow at Sandicliffe Loughborough for 3days to sort out a number of things. Will let you know the out come.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I don't want to go off topic here ( incidentally my QQ steering has started the "squeak" literally one week after it was in for its service) but there are many common problems now being dealt with by the dealers which begs the question "why aren't these isssues now being automatically sorted during a service?"
This would save a lot of hassle for both parties in the long run.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Couldn't agree more, I'll report on ours next week after it arrives back after a 4 day visit to Sandicliffes Loughborough.