TPMS - More responsive following new tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Had my new Nexens put on the front of the QQ yesterday and noticed that the TPMS for the fronts registered almost instantly when I drove away while the TPMS for the rears took a while.

Any thoughts as to why?
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Sort it's a bit off topic but, when you had two new Tyres fitted to the front, did you notice the steering wheel is of centre when driving in a straight line, or has the steering geometry changed? Any info would be appreciated.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Monkeywba wrote:Sort it's a bit off topic but, when you had two new Tyres fitted to the front, did you notice the steering wheel is of centre when driving in a straight line, or has the steering geometry changed? Any info would be appreciated.
Funny you should mention this...............

I had a new pair of Avons fitted to the front - steering wheel was angled by about 5 degrees to the left whilst driving. Had tracking checked in two different places, all ok. Swapped wheels left to right, still the same. Last garage said see what the wear is like in a few thousand miles.

Went back yesterday as still the same, weraing both tyres on both outer edges but nothing extreme. Thought stuff it, put them on the rear and the original Conti's back on the front (trying to remember, I think i swapped diagonally front to back, then had new on the front, so what is now on the front are the originals that were on there, but possibly swapped left to right)

anyway - Eureka!!!! The steering wheel is now 5 degrees off to the right whilst driving.

Dunno what to try next tbh
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Mine was exactly the same!!! Mine then spent the next 8 weeks at the dealers, needed new steering rack. All sorted now
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Monkeywba wrote:Sort it's a bit off topic but, when you had two new Tyres fitted to the front, did you notice the steering wheel is of centre when driving in a straight line, or has the steering geometry changed? Any info would be appreciated.
I remember your thread from a while back and was very conscious of this happening - thankfully there was no change in the steering wheel position. I've always felt, from the day I owned the car, that the steering wheel wasn't exactly 100% dead center but never to the degree it was noticeable.
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

jstallan wrote:Had my new Nexens put on the front of the QQ yesterday and noticed that the TPMS for the fronts registered almost instantly when I drove away while the TPMS for the rears took a while.

Any thoughts as to why?
It may be down to TPMS activation.

From the manual,
"
TPMS SENSOR ID AND POSITION
RECOGNITION
It is recommended that a NISSAN dealer performs
the registration of a new TPMS sensor or sensor
location.
It is also possible to register the sensor yourself following
the procedure below:
Procedure:
1. Change tyre position or have new TPMS sensor
fitted.
2. Park with Ignition ON or Engine ON for more
than 20 minutes. You must perform this step before
driving.
3. Drive the vehicle for several minutes between 25
km/h (16 MPH) and 100 km/h (64 MPH). The
TPMS sensor ID and position will automatically
be detected.
"

I have a set winter wheels with after market TPMS fitted on them. During the recent change to the winters, the positions were rotated as well. On driving away, I only had the message "Tyre pressures appear while driving" . After I found the above in the manual, I did the activation and after a about 5 kms, the TPMS came alive showing all 4 pressures.

I guess its best to to follow this each time a tyre/wheel change is made.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.