1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
paplane

Post by paplane »

uamade wrote:Hello everyone,

I wonder if you have any problems to check your oil level given the design of a dipstick tube: it seems to be twisted and when you pull it out, the oil is smeared thus given an imprecise reading.

At least this is on Pulsar with 1.2 DIG-T. Is there any gotchas on how to get the precise reading?

I had the very same thing. i found that the smearing could be avoided by resisting the twist action as you pull the dip stick out. Just pull it firmly and straight and you'll be good. :?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

A little tip for you guys first suggested on the Mini forums.

1. Removed dipstick.
2. Wait 10 mins (go get a cup of <insert beverage here>)
3. Dip the oil

Essentially some cars with the dip stick inserted will retain the oil in the tube due to capillary action, or something similar. Removing the dipstick allows the oil to run out and into the sump. The effect will work better if the oil is less viscous.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Montytb4 wrote:I had noticed that the dipstick in my 1.2 isn't the one shown in the manual, I think someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread.
I don't know if this has any effect on the readings we've been getting?
One other concern/query - if the oil is below the minimum mark why hasn't the oil warning lights been lit up??
The oil warning light remains on with a low oil level reading as the warning light relates to a low operating oil pressue, not the oil level. Even when low the pressure is sufficient for operation. If the oil level were to drop a lot further then the pressure would drop and the warning light would come on.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

paplane wrote:
uamade wrote:Hello everyone,

I wonder if you have any problems to check your oil level given the design of a dipstick tube: it seems to be twisted and when you pull it out, the oil is smeared thus given an imprecise reading.

At least this is on Pulsar with 1.2 DIG-T. Is there any gotchas on how to get the precise reading?

I had the very same thing. i found that the smearing could be avoided by resisting the twist action as you pull the dip stick out. Just pull it firmly and straight and you'll be good. :?
If you still encounter smearing then simply take the reading on the reverse side of the dipstick as it is marked on both sides. Only one side will smear on its way out of its housing.
uamade

Post by uamade »

Thanks to all your comments regarding dipstick smearing.

I will try these suggestions, but it is pity that the dipstick has this unfortunate design. In my other car - an older Nissan Qashqai with 2.0 L MR20DE engine the dipstick does not have this problem and oil level can be easily inspected either via dipstick or via dashboard computer.
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland
Barnaby

Post by Barnaby »

Hello switchback, you commented on here 29/10/16 - here's my update on my problem.

As I understand it from my garage they say there are two possibilities causing this oil loss problem.
They have a flow chart that they have been instructed to follow.

Without going into the detail of each step it takes you to one of two sources, one is the timing chain the other is the pistons.

If they detect noise they take apart the timing housing and look for wear if found they replace the chain and fit a new tensioner, this is what they have now done to mine. The charge cost back to Nissan was some £730 but FOC to me.
It definitely seems to be running better, quieter, smoother and less oil use so onward and keep my eyes on it, but so far it seems good.

The piston problem was described as the wrong ones having been fitted which were a fraction smaller in diameter which meant that the rings were not operating as they should do. The fix is to replace the piston and rings or if necessary the whole engine, thankfully not mine.

Best
December 2015 !.2 DIG-T Xtronic Pearl Black TEKNA
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

So quick update from me. I think my QQ is still loosing oil, but as I have not driven it a lot recently ive not really given it too much thought, it has been mostly parked up under my car port for the last couple of months as we now drive the Micra much more now the wife works at the same place as me!

However I am discussing with my dealer about a separate fault with my Micra (suspected drop links... again, its only done 32k!! I am feeling that the QQ and Micra I have at the moment could be my last Nissan, sorry, Renault with a Nissan badge I ever own....) and I mentioned in 'passing' that the loss with my QQ seems to be at the same rate as last year pre software fix, but I would pick it up with him closer to service (one problem at a time!!).

Emailed back saying if it is still loosing then it maybe engine rebuild time.... no 'this is normal use' now, straight with 'take another look with a view to rebuilding the engine'...... interesting! Not sure how I feel about an engine rebuild at ~25k, just coming up to 3 year old but meh..... will think about how to push for a new 'factory fresh' engine later.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

a great shame.

a good car with some good features ruined by a coarse engine.

i am planning to sell after 2 years .

very disappointed .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Finally managed to remind myself to check the oil whilst it was on the flat yesterday!

0.5L lost over ~4000 miles. So no change in loss characteristic since the software fix was applied.

Reported back to dealer!
Frankiejr

Post by Frankiejr »

Hi all, I have just signed up as I have a QQ and took it to the dealers today due to noises from the engine and hesitation at low revs. They advise it is due to low oil level and needs 3 litres. The service was only 5k ago so I asked if this was normal with the reply of "yes, up to 1 litre every 1k is normal."

I will see what it drives like and try to remember to check in the next 1k but this seemed excessive which is why I searched and came upon this thread.

After the issue ongoing for some for nearly two years I am surprised the stance from Nissan on consumption is still the same.