Exhaust fumes

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
switchback

Post by switchback »

Daewar wrote:
I'm thinking your DPF or Catalyst is not working correctly and you should get your exhaust system checked, it could still be leaking. You could even go into an MOT Test centre & ask for the exhaust emissions to be checked, although I guess there would be a charge for this.
A colleague of mine who I drive to work with had this with his Polo diesel. A really strong pungent and almost acrid smell which came into the car when he stopped to let me put. It was worst when he had just reversed into the fumes. VW fixed it and said they'd cleaned some oil from somewhere in the engine compartment which in both our opinions was complete BS as we both know what hot oil smells like. Most likely they had to do something with the DPF or Cat and didn't want to admit it bearing in mind the adverse publicity they've had on emissions. He's not had the problem since............
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.

InkBlue

Post by InkBlue »

I had this acrid smell on my petrol Qashqai in the first few days after i picked it up, I spoke to the service department to see what they could find and they said they could not find it. I could not stand the smell so I started searching and there was a large rubber band, or what was a mostly burnt remains, sitting on the heatshield. It appears this rubber band if from holding some documents in pre delivery , just a slack attention to detail to checking the car.
I would look along the top of the whole exhaust if you have had the same type of smell, as it could be a common sort of oversight.
Mostly Forwards, sometime backwards, hopefully never upside down
hkphooey

Post by hkphooey »

I hand this was bit of a nightmare in my 1.6 D 360 it was the injectors leaking ..First number one then all went car was only 2 years old!!!