Exhaust fumes

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
jeanandre

Post by jeanandre »

I have seen the other post regarding fumes in the cabin but my problem seems to be more outside. I have only had my Qashqai for about a month. I have found a strong smell of exhaust fumes after a run be it long or short. Her indoors finds it more from the passenger side when she gets out the car. Has anyone else found this on their car. There is no blown exhaust sound you would get if there was a hole in the exhaust.
65Plate Qashqai 1.5 360 DCI 5 door Hatchback, Magnetic Red.

yaesu

Post by yaesu »

True a different brand o fuel! Sounds crazy by my 2015 1.6dci smells better (less?)on shell than esso (both local to me and same price and mpg)
Harshly
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

Oops, b spell correction. Should have been Yaesu
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black
jeanandre

Post by jeanandre »

Thanks yaesu I will try a different diesel then.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

My QQ smells of nothing outside with the engine running or not, and fuel brand should play not part in this.

I'm thinking your DPF or Catalyst is not working correctly and you should get your exhaust system checked, it could still be leaking. You could even go into an MOT Test centre & ask for the exhaust emissions to be checked, although I guess there would be a charge for this.
yaesu wrote:True a different brand o fuel! Sounds crazy by my 2015 1.6dci smells better (less?)on shell than esso (both local to me and same price and mpg)
Harshly
jeanandre

Post by jeanandre »

Thanks Daewar, I think I will get that checked out.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Have you considered the possibility that a heat shield or some other part may be either touching or to close to the exhust? That could cause a similar smell.
Deleted User 3871

If the heat shield or any other part was touching the exhaust u would hear rattling inside the car, possibly outside also.
gvmdaddy wrote:Have you considered the possibility that a heat shield or some other part may be either touching or to close to the exhust? That could cause a similar smell.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Daewar wrote:If the heat shield or any other part was touching the exhaust u would hear rattling inside the car, possibly outside also.
gvmdaddy wrote:Have you considered the possibility that a heat shield or some other part may be either touching or to close to the exhust? That could cause a similar smell.
True, but anything plastic or rubberised wouldn't make a loud enough noise to be noticeable.
Deleted User 3871

Your quite right, but anything plastic or rubbery would not smell like diesel exhaust fumes.
gvmdaddy wrote:
Daewar wrote:If the heat shield or any other part was touching the exhaust u would hear rattling inside the car, possibly outside also.
True, but anything plastic or rubberised wouldn't make a loud enough noise to be noticeable.