Tyre Dust Caps

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
JRT

Post by JRT »

The wife spotted tonight that both my rear tyres no longer have dust caps (think that's what they are called) over where you amend the tyre pressure. Some local chav seems to have nicked them.

Where can I order spares from?
2014 (64) Nissan Qashqai 1.5cc Dci Tekna with Panaromic Roof | Gun Metal Grey

JRT

Post by JRT »

I think I have answered my own question

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nissan-Chrome-Q ... FHU55YSTIG
2014 (64) Nissan Qashqai 1.5cc Dci Tekna with Panaromic Roof | Gun Metal Grey
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

JRT, you can obtain these Valve Caps at most good Motor Accessory Shop ranging from basic Plastic to Chromed or Surface Treated ones in Colors at reasonable prices also - Dave

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

If you want the common-and-garden black plastic dustcaps, which don't attract chavvy attention, then drop in your local tyre fitting depot, or even your Nissan dealer, and ask for some take-offs for free. Every time a standard tyre is changed, they tend to fit new valves which have new caps, so they have these things lying about waiting to be thrown in the skip.
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

[quote="JRT"]I think I have answered my own question http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nissan-Chrome-Q ... FHU55YSTIG[/QUOTE]Thats whats on mine
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

As I mentioned, Nissan advise only to use the grey caps supplied with the car as others may interfere with TPMS. If you look carefully you will see there is also a small seal inside the cap which is not present with usual black plastic ones. Personally I find the OE ones fine.
F1 Bob2015-03-16 10:59:39
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Deleted User 1571

All metal caps should have a rubber seal. Plastic ones don't need it because they are their own air seal.Plastic ones will not interfere with the TPMS. Some metal ones might just do, but you would know soon enough.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

As F1Bob mentioned the Ally Caps do have an "O Ring" Seal in them. Whatever you do, do not tighten them to much without grease as they will seize and then you will end up needing a New TPMS Valve - Expensive error !. What I do is to use liberally a smear of grease to prevent the corrosion between the Valve Stem & Cap Threads. Do not use too much as believe it or not it does fly around when driving and sticks to those lovely Alloys. At present I have not had any problems with these - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 1571

[quote="DaveBerlin"]As F1Bob mentioned the Ally Caps do have an "O Ring" Seal in them. Whatever you do, do not tighten them to much without grease as they will seize and then you will end up needing a New TPMS Valve - Expensive error !. What I do is to use liberally a smear of grease to prevent the corrosion between the Valve Stem & Cap Threads. Do not use too much as believe it or not it does fly around when driving and sticks to those lovely Alloys. At present I have not had any problems with these - Dave [/QUOTE]
Very good advice. I had some nice ones with a Jaguar logo on the ends which I tightened normally and had the devil of a job removing to check tyre pressure. iiic one had to be left on until the tyre was changed.
Bluey59

Post by Bluey59 »

Wish I had seen this post earlier, mine just back from its service and the mechanic has reported that one of my ally dust caps (a christmas present from my son) has seized on. So off to my well trusted local tyre fitter, his advice, leave well alone and when the tyre needs replacing (6mm tread remain according to service record) then he will fit a new TPMS valve (~£70). His advice, following previous customers attempt to remove seized valve caps,was that any fettling with pliers and the like was likely to lead to breaking of the valve anyway.
So be warned !!! ☺
2014 Blade silver 1.5 dci NTEC