Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

Daewar wrote:I have one question though, did you look into using the wiring that goes to the rain sensor / internal lighting as its so close to the mirror area and piggyback on that?
There are two problems with siamesing another supply like those you mention, the first is that the wiring and protection is designed for the standard load and increasing it with the camera means there's the risk of damage.

Secondly, whilst we think if dashcams being 12v devices, they're actually 5v the same as all USB devices, that means you'd still have to use the hardwire kit step down transformer (or go the extra aux socket route using the cameras original aux plug plugged into it) either option means you'd have to secrete a largish box/tube adjacent to the camera.

The fuse box method is safest and neatest in my view.
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16

S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

jeffers wrote:[quote="jeffers"................
..............I might have a go at copying your method later ..................

Not happy about poking about in the fuse box but according to Halfords web site they will hardwire to the fuse box a dash cam for £30 providing you buy from them. They are offering 20% discount on some cams at the mo. It says it's for a trade in but seems as long as you buy on line for click and collect you get the 20%. Not sure I'd want a Halfords lad messing with my new QQ but for £30 fitting maybe it's a good deal?
I'm not entirely convinced that I'd rather a potentially hamfisted technician dismantled bits of my car! I know I'm careful and sympathetic, he may not be. I'd be interested to know how Halfords tackle the micro-fuse issue as I couldn't find anywhere which stocked the piggyback and had to go online to source one (which was imported).
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

I agree. and I dont understand how they can quote £30 without looking at the different model cars and what work exactly would be involved in a hardwire.

I'm thinking what they really mean is using the cigar lighter outlet and sticking the cam to a convenient spot on the windscreen for you.

As you say, I'd probably prefer to take a sympathetic approach of my own.
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

Hi S_J_P

Firstly can I just say what a great write up. Very informative & is just what I was looking for.
I have a back ground of installing after market equipment to vehicles both passenger vehicles & commercial so was just going to attempt to fit my Roadhawk to my new QQ on the hoof but as you've already done a great write up this has taken a lot of the unknown away for me.

One thing I wanted to point out as this could be quite a serious issue & was highly frowned upon us fitters by the auditors and which did incur hefty financial penalties if we did so was your chosen route of the cable at the top of the A pillar. I've not removed the trim yet myself but every car I fitted a microphone to for Vodafone, the curtain airbag was anchored most of the way down closer to the dash rather than the top. By routing a cable across the airbag you are risking impeding the airbag from deploying correctly should it need to. Chances are the force of the airbag deploying would be enough to snap the cable or push it aside but bearing in mind the airbag deploys in a fraction of a second, you don't want anything to slow this down. I always had in the back of my mind had an airbag I ran a cable in front of not deployed as intended in the event of an accident & a passenger suffered severe head injuries because the airbag did not inflate properly could I be held liable for negligently not installing the equipment properly? Started off as such a blown out of proportion issue but when it takes five seconds to route the cable behind the airbag it brings it into context why such hefty fines were issued if anyone was found doing this.

Like I said, brilliant write up. Just might be worth checking that cable at the top of the A pillar in relation to the airbag.
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

Thanks for the warning Ben, I was aware of the curtain airbags but after consulting the manual I came to the conclusion that they ran along the roofline and not down the A Pillar so I thought I was safe with my cable routing. I'll take a look behind the A Pillar and confirm/deny their placement.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I also ran a cable down the A pillar and don't recall any airbag gubbins in there. But it was many months ago and my memory isn't what it was!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Nothing behind my A pillar either
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

Just been out and quickly pulled back the door seal and unclipped the A pillar trim. Took a very poor picture as it was dark and I wasn't planning on stripping it out completely but the airbag is bolted to the chassis a few inches up from the dash. There is a strap which then runs up to the top where the A pillar meets the roof lining where the part of the airbag which inflates begins.

image.jpeg

This without a doubt would give me reason to route any cable between the airbag & the chassis. Alternatively you could route it behind the A pillar trim along the edge where it meets the windscreen down to the dash and along the bottom between the pillar and the dash. Routing this way will also avoid crossing the airbag. Chances are if you remove the trim altogether there may well be a wiring harness you could secure the cable to using ties.
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

Ben, thanks for your input on this, I've just unclipped the A Pillar trim and have found the airbag strap you mention. I'd assumed that the curtain bags inflated downwards and away from the B Pillar (which is marked as having a SRS system inside) but hadn't factored in the A Pillar strap, this just goes to show the power of the online community in sharing knowledge!

I've now rerouted my cable behind the strap (I.e between the A Pillar and the strap near the top of the trim panel) so it won't impede the airbag operation. The rest of the routing remains as before.

Thanks again for your wise words!
Splink

Post by Splink »

S_J_P wrote:I've now rerouted my cable behind the strap (I.e between the A Pillar and the strap near the top of the trim panel) so it won't impede the airbag operation. The rest of the routing remains as before.
I have my cable routed as per the S_J_P pictures in this thread. I would appreciate some more information on how to reroute the cable behind the strap; explaining the steps of what needs to be done and how it can be accomplished.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014