Has anyone had luck in getting Brake Discs under warranty ?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Just been told my front brake discs are warped and they (and the pads) have had to be changed at just 20,000 miles :(

Now in all fairness I am not the first owner of this vehicle (it had done 9K as a Nissan demonstrator) so I can't vouch for the first 9K but the following 11K has certainly been very easy going by myself.

So I was wondering if anyone has managed to make a claim for discs as I don't think 20K is reasonable wear and tear ?

almayb

Post by almayb »

Yes I had both discs & pads changed under warranty due to being warped at just over 12k miles on clock.
64 plate 1.5 tekna - Bronze.
Deleted User 2899

You did very well then as I spoke to Nissan Customer Care this afternoon and they told me that brake disc and pads are NOT covered unless it's extreme circumstance. She did admit that they have had a few calls about this but there is nothing she could do :(
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

I'm afraid it is normal these days since the demise of asbestos in the brake pads , they now use a harder material and use the discs as sacrificial lambs. I had similar on my J10 a couple of years ago. worn down below min thickness required .
Drive carefully, Live longer
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

I have to say that 20k is atrocious for needing new discs, in fact unless you're on the brakes continuously 20k's low for pads. If I were you I'd find out how worn the pads are, if they're still reasonable then that should show that you've not been overly zealous with the brakes which should indicate that there's a fault with the discs.

I did get a set of discs replaced under warranty on a Toyota a few years back after a particularly abrupt emergency stop by suggesting that if the brakes were incapable of operating as designed then they weren't fit for purpose.
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

There could be a few reasons...

Brake discs very rarely 'warp' these days, it maybe more of a case that over time somebody has done some heavy braking, and kept the brake applied rather than releasing. This can cause a transfer of material from pad to disc which causes some issues.

The other reason, are we dealing with poor quality, or manuf issue with discs? I remember having a set of dimpled and grooved discs from EBC. They are (after research) shown to be of lower quality than expected and caused vibration shudder very quickly.

Pads will be swapped because of the discs need replacing. Its usually bad practice to swap discs without a pad change

You say that you have been told they are warped? Have you felt anything odd such as vibrations at high speed, or more specifically vibrations under braking? I would be inclined to get a 2nd opinion from somewhere else that you trust!
Deleted User 2899

SplanK wrote:There could be a few reasons...

Brake discs very rarely 'warp' these days, it maybe more of a case that over time somebody has done some heavy braking, and kept the brake applied rather than releasing. This can cause a transfer of material from pad to disc which causes some issues.

The other reason, are we dealing with poor quality, or manuf issue with discs? I remember having a set of dimpled and grooved discs from EBC. They are (after research) shown to be of lower quality than expected and caused vibration shudder very quickly.

Pads will be swapped because of the discs need replacing. Its usually bad practice to swap discs without a pad change

You say that you have been told they are warped? Have you felt anything odd such as vibrations at high speed, or more specifically vibrations under braking? I would be inclined to get a 2nd opinion from somewhere else that you trust!
Yes there was shuddering when braking to a point where it was quite scary braking from speed. At lower speeds it was more of a pulsing through the brake pedal.

I reported this to the garage and they changed the discs and pads and told me they were warped (or at least one was).
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

aah, then yes, disc would be damaged in some way then.

To be honest, its one of those things. It could be a defect or it could be the way you/previous owner has driven, or could be a fault in the calliper itself leading to excessive heat (you would tend to see the disc going blue of that happens though), or causing the pad to be in contact with the disc excessively. My guess, or I would hope that the techs would have given the setup a quick once over to ensure nothing untoward with anything else.

Sometimes these things do just happen and I would actually put it down to 'fair ware and tare'. It's a bit crappy when it happens (and costly if you let a garage do it rather than yourself). If it was a big problem, then we would be seeing all sorts of people reporting it, but it looks few and far between to be a common pattern yet.

If it is indeed material transfer between pad and disc, then its possible to get the discs machined if there is plenty of life on them so although it maybe to late for you now, if it happens in the future to anybody else, ask them to give you the discs back rather than disposing of them to see if they can be recovered and re-used later!
Deleted User 2899

SplanK wrote:aah, then yes, disc would be damaged in some way then.

To be honest, its one of those things. It could be a defect or it could be the way you/previous owner has driven, or could be a fault in the calliper itself leading to excessive heat (you would tend to see the disc going blue of that happens though), or causing the pad to be in contact with the disc excessively. My guess, or I would hope that the techs would have given the setup a quick once over to ensure nothing untoward with anything else.

Sometimes these things do just happen and I would actually put it down to 'fair ware and tare'. It's a bit crappy when it happens (and costly if you let a garage do it rather than yourself). If it was a big problem, then we would be seeing all sorts of people reporting it, but it looks few and far between to be a common pattern yet.

If it is indeed material transfer between pad and disc, then its possible to get the discs machined if there is plenty of life on them so although it maybe to late for you now, if it happens in the future to anybody else, ask them to give you the discs back rather than disposing of them to see if they can be recovered and re-used later!
OK thanks. This is actually the reason I didn't kick off (to the garage) about it. I just don't know how the car was driven previously but now I have a fresh set of discs and pads I shall be monitoring it very closely :)
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Mine is in today as I feel a judder when braking at slow speeds - a sure signed of a warped disc.
Guess what - their 'master' technicians can find no fault...
Does anyone know the run out specification for these discs - I have measured 0.06mm on one and 0.03mm on the other.

7780 miles.
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)